• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hawkeye Modelers 50th anniversary Contest.

Rhino

Super Moderator
It was yesterday. I took some pictures.

h7d1a116.JPG

Chuck was a Hawkeye Modelers member. I thought it fitting to bring models I bought from Chuck & Judy before his "Trip Up to Heaven" for the Hawkeye 50th Anniversary Show. This is NOT the Hawkeye Club's 50th show.
The Club was founded in 1969, but given the amount of contest experience and man-power in the club they sponsor a show every 10 years or so.
It seemed a special occasion and a good chance to honor my Friend, his skill-set and modeling expertise. I entered 3 of Chuck's airplane models under his name, I listed Chuck's address as "Heaven". I put down my email address. I figured any messages or awards Chuck might win, I could pass on to him the next time I saw Him.
I entered his 1/72 Grumman F4F-2 Wildcat conversion,
Hasegawa 1/72 Douglas A-4F Skyhawk in Lady Jessie livery,
and his 1/72 Airwaves Vacuum-formed kit of the North American T-39/T3D Navy Saberliner.

The show was held in a Grimes, Iowa Church. A dandy spot, just a little off the beaten path. Weather was fair & brisk.

h7a0df8b.JPG

Sue & John Maxwell handled registration. No link I could find was provided to print registration forms beforehand.
Lighting was less than ideal, but much better than the green fluorescent lighting we endured in Millard, NE earlier this year.

hc56f2db.JPG

I left this picture "as-is" so you could see.

hbae02e6.JPG

Contestants eagerly filling out contest forms.

h6b9c97b.JPG

Awards. LOTS! Bumping the table proves problematic.

hb843b6f.JPG

The category placards where done in Chuck Sterns' Artwork from the old days. Cool!!

h37cc240.JPG

The affable Frank Miller in attendance. As usual his lovely Wahf accompanied Frank.

h321f001.JPG

Kevin Iutzeller (I can't pronounce or spell Kevin's last name properly) hard at work, with Mrs. Miller enjoying the show.

he41e11d.JPG

Among the vendors were Virgil Stansbury and Alan Horner. Alan and his daughter drove all the way from Ohio!

How about some models?!?
Entries were light until near the noon cut-off time. Modelers from IPMS Plastic Surgeons, Fort Crook and Alexander Lippisch, among others, found their way to Grimes. 32 Entrants brought 120 entries.

h3bf9f12.JPG

hac44240.JPG

h72de32e.JPG

h28550bc.JPG

1/48 Polish Lancer's Sherman Firefly
hff17044.JPG

h5e535e7.JPG

The Audi R8 was a toy car, not a model. Neat Idea!
h60a45df.JPG

The little Ford model T Snowmobile was scratchbuilt! Neet-O!

h08080d5.JPG

h605806f.JPG

hfd50c16.JPG

One Ship entry. Francisco Melendez (Mendez) 1/72 USS Drum, Gato Class US Navy submarine.

h001ef67.JPG

Francisco (Mendez) Melendez Hasegawa 1/32 JU-87G Stuka. Hans Ulrich Rudel & his dog on display as well.

h563c23d.JPG

h03c4030.JPG

Alan Horner's 1/72 German Jet (Spindrift) Jet.

he9843b8.JPG

Gundams & Mecha.

h1462846.JPG

h2be44d5.JPG

Real Space.

he6ea609.JPG

Cute Little Revell Fokker Tri-plane. Werner Voss' mount.

The star of the show was how the Hawk Modelers, Ed & Kent ran the raffle! Ed drew a ticket, read the winning number aloud, and waited for the winner to appear. this eliminated the crowd of plastic-hungry raffle mainiacs queing up to win the best prizes! BRAVO & Well done!! Then you draw a ticket that matches one on a prize kit, in an orderly, courteous, fashion!

There were Theme awards a-plenty. "Decades" '70's, '80's, '90's, 2000's and 2010's. Anything 1969 or '69, The was a "Best of Other" special award. It sounds screwy until you find that award covered Best of Real Space, Gundam, Mecha & Science Fiction. "Other", See?!

I did NOT volunteer to judge. It was rather thrust upon me. Mark Johnson led Francisco, Nate McCoy and myself in judging Automotive. I learned LOTS from Mark about judging cars & Trucks! LOTS! Mark's a knowledgeable and friendly guy! I admired his expertise and willingness to share his experience!!

h40ca64c.JPG

I liked the McClaren! A nice build of a not-nice kit to build. A favorite subject from my must younger childhood. Hot Wheels, comic books, AFX Race Cars..............

h55629e9.JPG

h08b0a02.JPG

As the Aircraft entrants streamed in, I could see where Chuck's Wildcat & Skyhawk may not have been up to modern standards of judging.

h7b97306.JPG

The astounding build of the Vacuum formed Saberliner kit went unrecognized. Evidently considering "difficulty" as part of judging has gone by the wayside. Sometimes the line that divides arrogance from inexperience is difficult to recognize. I was severely disappointed to have the only Vac kit in the show go unrecognized. Maybe the Judges didn't appreciate my effort to honor Chuck because he's gone. I don't know.

After judging was done Teresa & I hustled of to get something to eat before the Awards ceremony began. We returned to find that the sponsoring club had food for every judge but myself. Thankfully Nate McCoy consumed enough of the pizza for both of us. Awards were interesting. On a brighter note, the Hawkeye club president got Joe Lotz' name right! Our Francisco "Mendez" & Cedar Rapids Adam "Mengele" made me wonder about possible transcription errors.
Virgil Stansbury won a 3rd & 1st prize for his Daytona Cobra Coupe model car. There were several 1st & 3rd prize "Sweeps", contrary to IPMS rules.

hb3567e1.JPG

Teresa's raffle fortunes continued this day. OH! I will also comment in a very positive way about the quality of Raffle prizes! Most were new/sealed. All the other treasures were unstarted and complete! We gave a huge Modern Aircraft book to a junior modeler. She seemed well pleased. I'm trying to say nice things about the Show.
This is a great time to stop the telling of the story.

Thanks for looking in!

Here , Here for Chuck :drinks

I must agree with your statement about people at shows. So much they don't know or consider. :smack

Hang on to that woman . She seems to keep the plastic moving . A rare talent :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

That scratch built tractor with skis was cool, but it had those anti gravity tracks that levitate. :hmmm

Thanks for the fine report!

(y)

Even a bad model show is better than no model show. (y)

I also like the T bucket on skies. Reminds me of the Christmas special with Red Buttons or wast the Fred Astair?

Thanks for the review Chris.
Luck was on my side yesterday.
I was able to get 17 raffle prizes for my $20.00.
Gave one to Virgil.
Will keep the rest for trades and the like.
Frank
:drinks

Ah, My friends, Frank, whether he admits it or not, is an over-achiever! Everything is a competition! Bless His Heart! He's also a clever warrior, a fine model maker and a good friend.

Bob, Bad Model show for you? Your choice. I will not enter my models or Chuck's in another Hawkeye Modelers event. Negative attitudes absolutely turn me off.
Every Man gets to decide for himself. You get to choose for yourself. Being the oldest IPMS Club in Iowa means little to me without courtesy, hospitality or accuracy. My Honey commented she had never seen me get angry at a model show before. I never have.
I'll spend my precious time elsewhere, henceforth.

In ten years things may have sorted themselves out. :D :mpup

Good to see the McLaren can be built. :good:

Chris, I had an experience like that many years ago and it along with the big "D" made me loose my hobby for a long time. These days if I go to a contest it is to just see what is there and get ideas. If I do take a build it is with no expectations. I take my build to show it off.

One of the contests I went to years ago they got the 1st and 3rd place awards crossed. Figured it out half way through. That was a really poor taste.

In retrospect, without the attitudes and personalities displayed by some of the Oldest Iowa Club curmudgeons, there might never have been Great Hobby Adventures Hobby Shop OR IPMS Plastic Surgeons in 1994.
No Nurse. No venue for the less than reverent, model makers & fun-seekers. Less regard for how many bolts there are. Our Club joke continues to question the propriety of EVERY shade of green, (Terry Knows!) Genuine good friends to play airplanes with.
No pat on the back for builders as hopeless as even (Unnamed Former Member). No shared tips & tricks from older Men for fledgling, struggling, dedicated, Nugget modelers. No venue to ask whatever question you want to (No matter how stupid you sound) Made fun of? Yes. Judgmental treatment? Not without the benefits of humor & strong drink!
We Few. We happy Surgeons. Promote Modeling Fun in almost every genre for all!

ZORN! What I really wish to say to Those Who Shall Remain Nameless, must then be "Thank You!"
The membership of the IPMS Plastic Surgeons might otherwise have never have known any better.

Greg Metge took the heat for "Splitting up the Club" and "taking business away from Hobby Haven". Then as punishment had his fairly simple last name mispronounced (Metzger, Meggie, Metchie, Meteg) at almost every show He ever attended.
Harrumph, Plastic Surgeons! Rise above and continue Model Fun and friendship!

Whatever happened to having fun and enjoying the company of other modelers . :idonno

Of course I'm not sure what curmudgeons would do otherwise :frantic

Cheers, Christian B)

The local club that I meet with every 4th Saturday has slowly dwindled to about four people. We basically just get together once a month and visit these days about what is going on and if anyone has anything new, bring it and talk about it. Today we actually had a fifth guy show up as well.

Thing is, with the smaller group, it is building some core friendships that are better than what was there before.

Also out local hobby shop is moving to a new location. So much stuff to move, I am glad that I don't have to do it. Supposedly will have more room at the new location.

Back