• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

U.S.S. ARIZONA "A BEGINNING"

MrT

Master at Arms
Staff member
Image of the Arizona in late 1940 or early 1941. Notice the 3 inch gun shields are in place.

ARIZONA_1.JPG

Image of the Arizona cruising abreast of the New Mexico. It gives a good idea of the pre war paint color.

FZ4e6fS.jpg

Image of the pre war Kingfisher scout plane paint scheme.

ywd32024-06.jpg

More to come.

B)

Some more images. Arizona during 1940 refit which added the splinter shields.

1940_09_28_puget_sound.jpg

This image is on the Texas, but it does give a picture of the kingfisher color scheme as of 1940 and also the pre war ship color. This is an actual color slide from Life magazine from the time.

767715782edb203537ca5b6f2cc15cdf.jpg

B)

I can forwarn you that the Trumpy Arizona needs a LOT of rework and correction. I have no doubt you can do it Terry. :good:

Images of the 5"/51 cal. deck and casemate guns.

Looking-out-5-Inch-gun-port-of-the-Pennsylvania-BB-38-Ca_-1918_-Note-the-caption-says-72727-inch-gun22_-historyinfotos~0.jpg

5inch_51cal_US_naval_gun.jpg

Image of the 3"/50 cal. AA gun

plate001.jpg

Image of gun directors.

Mk19BB38_March1942.jpg

Then this an image from above of the turret top painted. Turret top were painted to indicate which Battle Division the ship belonged to. In the case of the Arizona they would have been red.

710x528_11203162_7237381_1525878767.jpg

B)

This photo is actually part of a video (film) of the Arizona passing under a bridge. It shows the whole length and can be positively ID'd by the cranes further aft amidships. As I said earlier, the Trumpy model "looks" like the Arizona, but it has a lot of issues.

h24b580b.jpg

Well I don't think I will let the "issues" stop me. Nor will I get heartburn if every little detail doesn't get corrected. I'll let you do that. I really get tired of modelers bad mouthing kits because they don't measure up somehow and then giving hell to other modelers that go ahead and build it. I went through this with Dragons M103. Enduring comments like "I wouldn't have wasted my money on it" and "too bad you have spent so much time on a completely wrong kit". You know what their BS didn't matter a bit especially when a former M103 TC said "Boy that brings back memories". He didn't give a damn if the turret was the wrong shape or the road wheels aren't spaced right because it "looked like" a M103 to him. So keep your negative "advise" to yourself. If it bothers you so much then don't look. I sure wish you would finish your Arizona so we all can gain the benefit of your detailed knowledge, but until then I'm going to build this kit if it kills me just to say I built it "issues" and all.

I have had a keen interest in U.S. battleships both pre-dreadnaught and dreadnaught and have done quite a lot of research and reading myself for about the past 40+ years. I was building my first Arizona(Revell) when I was 10. My Uncle Bob came up behind me at the kitchen table and said "Yep that sure "looks like" the old Arizona". I guess he would know having served in the pre-war navy for 10 years before Pearl Harbor in battleships. Was there when the Arizona was blown up while serving in the Tennessee just forward of her. So if that old Revell kit "looked like" the Arizona to him then the Trumpeter kit sure as hell would too.

Sorry to go off like this, but please don't prevent someone else from building a kit just because there are "issues" with it that bother you.

To add a bit to your story is that these ships change over their life of upgrades and refitting .

We have been getting some lengthy history on the North Carolina that is being maintained at the coast .

I have been to the Arizona and not much is obvious . What strikes me the most is how young those sailors were when they lost their lives.

Happy building (y) Cheers, Christian

Oh my yes some of those in the Texas picture look like grade school age. That being said my Uncle's mother had sign her consent because he was under age when he enlisted.

The scene in "They Were Expendable" (I think) where Square Head Larson ordering a round for the crew line up at the bar ordering "Whisky, Whisky, Whisky, Beer, Beer, Milk...." I can see where John Ford got that inspiration.

The scene in "They Were Expendable" (I think) where Square Head Larson ordering a round for the crew line up at the bar ordering "Whisky, Whisky, Whisky, Beer, Beer, Milk...." I can see where John Ford got that inspiration.

No kidding. :drunk

Back