Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
"Wesendorf Field"

Park your aircraft at our Tom Wesendorf Memorial Aerodrome and Poolside Lounge. Share your aircraft builds here.

TOPIC: There is something...

There is something... 07 Jan 2020 15:09 #25

Shark Mouths are not my things, so I'll take a pass.

How about a Red and Yellow bullseye for the wings and the chicken for the tail? Probably German like numbers etc, white with yellow with red outline?

:yipee
  • Barney
  • Barney
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
"Even watching her walk was a liberal education." C.S. Lewis
The administrator has disabled public write access.

There is something... 07 Jan 2020 15:16 #26

Love this aircraft and have been toying with 'What If' schemes for many years... still not decided, but after all this time, I've narrowed it down to three !! :java

Ian.

• ij001
  • ij001
  • Group Captain
    Group Captain

There is something... 07 Jan 2020 16:18 #27

Barney wrote:
Shark Mouths are not my things, so I'll take a pass.

How about a Red and Yellow bullseye for the wings and the chicken for the tail? Probably German like numbers etc, white with yellow with red outline?

:yipee

I'll give it a go. :good
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

There is something... 09 Jan 2020 20:53 #28

Day 5:

I am sad to say but Jim passed last night.is struggle with Glue Hypoxia Syndrome was real and finally he lay down and was called home by his friend and loving wife of many years, Gertrude.

OK, I got that out of the way.

The cockpit is done. Not to hard as I didn't add anything to it except paint. It is a small, closed pit and you can't see any of the sidewall detail. That's a pity as I dolled it up really nice.

h2fdbdd0.JPG

The fuselage seems look pretty good also.

Next step is the engine nacelles and wheel wells... Lots of paint, lots of stuff to play with...

Damn, in my next life, I want to build 32nd scale. In fact, I think my next kit just might be a 32d Kit that is hogging a whole lot of room on the shelf. :drool
  • Barney
  • Barney
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander

There is something... 09 Jan 2020 21:07 #29

1/32! Way to go Barney! I have a bunch of high end 1/32 kits and keep getting sucked into the 1/48th and smaller kits. On a positive note the smaller kits can be good test builds for the bigger kits. Unfortunately there are also many kits that have not seen the light of day in 1/32.

So far so good Barney!

There is something... 09 Jan 2020 21:38 #30

First off, thank you for your service!
I just logged on and saw this, I read your first paragraph and thought "Damn!...that's me." The modelling, not serving in any forces that is.
I started out with Gunze Aqueous Sangyo acrylics on my return (1993) to hobby modelling...tried to brush paint a kit and found out you cannot brush paint Gunze acrylics, then bought Tamiya acrylics, well waaay back then you could (kinda) brush paint Tamiya acrylics (not anymore) but it sprayed great. In my experience Gunze stays tacky for...my lifetime at least.
I also tried Model Master Acrylics (they almost drove me nuts) these paints would clog in the airbrush, spit spatter and fall off the model when dry. I recently donated 33 bottles to a friend (he might not be anymore) just to get them out of the house.
Vallejo...can brush paint it, can airbrush it (with Vallejo airbrush thinner, yes, I even thin the "model air") but their colors can often leave me wondering if I painted the model with the right one or not.
As to the scheme to pick for the model?....I'd probably put turbine engines on it and paint it SEA camouflage colors...but that's me
and, yes, I've done that.

There is something... 09 Jan 2020 22:12 #31

I'm "working from home" tomorrow so i'll have time to play with the decal sheet. Looking good Barney
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

There is something... 09 Jan 2020 22:39 #32

Chrispisme: Some people have tons of luck with acrylics... then there is everyone else :yipee

MP: No hurry, I am learning patience in retirement... Today I counted to 500 in Sanskrit so I wouldn't throttle some third afterbirth of a dead camel, who RICHLY deserved it. (It is an improvement, I used to have to count to 1500!)
  • Barney
  • Barney
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander

There is something... 10 Jan 2020 21:52 #33

It was a L.....O......N......G day... 300 errands, cleaning the popguns, legally disposing of 2 and the having the normal garbage.

Tomorrow is another day.
  • Barney
  • Barney
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander

There is something... 12 Jan 2020 08:54 #34

That is a neat kit! The Whirlwind is one of the more underappreciated aircraft of WW2, and as others have said, darn thing looks fast sitting still!

I too am just not a fan of the acrylics. I am an old enough fart to remember the little bottles and tins that you speak of, I think the Pacifica Glass bottles had a teardrop shape cast into them, right? I also remember the airbrush being this mythical thing that models heard about but no one I knew had one, kind of like a dragon
  • iambrb
  • iambrb
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier

There is something... 12 Jan 2020 10:51 #35

I was 22 before I owned an airbrush... 1975! The 1stSGT wouldn't let me use the air compressor in the barracks, so that was the end of that. When I was transferred to the UK I divested myself of most things 110V and it took a few years (1977-2007) for me to come back. Still, not very good with it, but since I RETIRED I have more time to play.
  • Barney
  • Barney
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander

There is something... 16 Jan 2020 15:16 #36

I was digging through the mini-stash (I'm down to under 60 kits from something in the hundreds several years ago) (Yes, I am a reformed plastic hoarder) and decided that 1/32 was the way to go. So with that in mind, I pulled out a Ki-43, ordered some different decals (everybody build them as Japanese or Manchukan) and have started. The mojo is starting to run...

At least something still gets up and going... sometimes.
  • Barney
  • Barney
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds