Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
"Wesendorf Field"

Park your aircraft at our Tom Wesendorf Memorial Aerodrome and Poolside Lounge. Share your aircraft builds here.

TOPIC: Kamov's in 1/72 - the coaxial challenge

Kamov's in 1/72 - the coaxial challenge 12 Mar 2020 09:58 #1

Hi friends,

Our friend Eric (errains) has been helping me a lot in getting this brush painting better within the constraints of my lung problematic. I am very thankful to him.

Since I enjoyed so much building the Hind, I decided to do a parallel Trial with two other choppers OOB. One of them is a Zvezda 1/72 model of the Kamov Ka-52 Alligator with decals from Begemot, the other a neat Kamov Ka-29 Helix 1/72 Revell anti-submarine based on the Khusnetzov. The Alligator should be brand new so very Little to no weathering, while the Helix being much more "battered" by the sea - again I tried to get some rust and oil splatter under the rotor.

I would really appreciate your comments on These two and particularly if you notice some changes to the Hind (for better or worse). Pure scientific method of Trial and error.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Alex

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kamov's in 1/72 - the coaxial challenge 12 Mar 2020 10:00 #2

Kamov Ka-52:

h4901fab.jpg

hb83e115.jpg

h29a905e.jpg

h76c0901.jpg

h271572d.jpg

h92161a8.jpg

h00d7565.jpg

Kamov's in 1/72 - the coaxial challenge 12 Mar 2020 10:01 #3

Kamov Ka-29 Helix

h720928f.jpg

h5dea3c5.jpg

h83ccc6d.jpg

hb7d32bd.jpg

ha81db76.jpg

hfac8693.jpg

h96874c4.jpg

h488bdd8.jpg

haa0e977.jpg

Kamov's in 1/72 - the coaxial challenge 12 Mar 2020 11:36 #4

Looks like you're getting the paint a little thinner, and getting it to go down a little smoother.

What are you using for mixing/stirring your paints? The grey on the green/grey one looks like it may not have been getting mixed thoroughly, leading to the inconsistent shades. I usually use one of these mixers (www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-121-Paint/dp/B000BROV02) that I picked up from my LHS, particularly if it's a bottle that hasn't been mixed recently. It really helps get a thorough mix of the pigments and carrier solution.

Definitely a couple unique birds. I really like the coloring of the blue/grey one.
  • helios
  • helios
  • Division Commander
    Division Commander
-Chris S.

On the bench:
1/48 Trumpeter RA-5C Vigilante (USN RVAH-6 USS Kitty Hawk) - Hippy Ed Tribute
1/72 Hasegawa Space Wolf SW-190 (Yuki Kei Special) - Galaxy Far Far Away
1/72 Fujimi RF-4E Phantom II (Luftwaffe RG 51)
1/24 Tamiya Opel Astra V8 DTM - Day At The Races

Last Edit: 12 Mar 2020 11:38 by helios.

Kamov's in 1/72 - the coaxial challenge 12 Mar 2020 13:21 #5

:popcorn
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

Kamov's in 1/72 - the coaxial challenge 12 Mar 2020 13:33 #6

I still think you are getting better with each build Alex, these look really good.

One critical suggestion I would have would be the seam on the front of the Ka-52. I don't recall if you are able to use some filler with your lung condition. Otherwise, I think they look great
  • sharkman
  • sharkman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
Warren

On the Bench: Lost count!

Kamov's in 1/72 - the coaxial challenge 12 Mar 2020 15:46 #7

Those are good looking models. You do very nice detail work.
  • rob hart
  • rob hart
  • Company Commander
    Company Commander
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flyingbabydoc

Kamov's in 1/72 - the coaxial challenge 16 Mar 2020 08:05 #8

helios wrote:
Looks like you're getting the paint a little thinner, and getting it to go down a little smoother.

What are you using for mixing/stirring your paints? The grey on the green/grey one looks like it may not have been getting mixed thoroughly, leading to the inconsistent shades. I usually use one of these mixers (www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-121-Paint/dp/B000BROV02) that I picked up from my LHS, particularly if it's a bottle that hasn't been mixed recently. It really helps get a thorough mix of the pigments and carrier solution.

Definitely a couple unique birds. I really like the coloring of the blue/grey one.

Hey Chris thanks a lot. Appreciated. I use the Commercial thinners from the respective colours I am using (Vallejo, Ammo of Mig etc.). I am starting to use pure and simple water with a droplet of detergent which has produced a much more satisfactory result. Sometimes the inconsistency Comes from the paint brushing and I have to work on that.

Cheers

Alex

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds