• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kamov's in 1/72 - the coaxial challenge

Flyingbabydoc

Hi friends,

Our friend Eric (errains) has been helping me a lot in getting this brush painting better within the constraints of my lung problematic. I am very thankful to him.

Since I enjoyed so much building the Hind, I decided to do a parallel Trial with two other choppers OOB. One of them is a Zvezda 1/72 model of the Kamov Ka-52 Alligator with decals from Begemot, the other a neat Kamov Ka-29 Helix 1/72 Revell anti-submarine based on the Khusnetzov. The Alligator should be brand new so very Little to no weathering, while the Helix being much more "battered" by the sea - again I tried to get some rust and oil splatter under the rotor.

I would really appreciate your comments on These two and particularly if you notice some changes to the Hind (for better or worse). Pure scientific method of Trial and error.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Alex

Kamov Ka-52:

h4901fab.jpg

hb83e115.jpg

h29a905e.jpg

h76c0901.jpg

h271572d.jpg

h92161a8.jpg

h00d7565.jpg

Looks like you're getting the paint a little thinner, and getting it to go down a little smoother.

What are you using for mixing/stirring your paints? The grey on the green/grey one looks like it may not have been getting mixed thoroughly, leading to the inconsistent shades. I usually use one of these mixers (https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-121-Paint/dp/B000BROV02) that I picked up from my LHS, particularly if it's a bottle that hasn't been mixed recently. It really helps get a thorough mix of the pigments and carrier solution.

Definitely a couple unique birds. I really like the coloring of the blue/grey one.

I still think you are getting better with each build Alex, these look really good.

One critical suggestion I would have would be the seam on the front of the Ka-52. I don't recall if you are able to use some filler with your lung condition. Otherwise, I think they look great

Looks like you're getting the paint a little thinner, and getting it to go down a little smoother.

What are you using for mixing/stirring your paints? The grey on the green/grey one looks like it may not have been getting mixed thoroughly, leading to the inconsistent shades. I usually use one of these mixers (https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-121-Paint/dp/B000BROV02) that I picked up from my LHS, particularly if it's a bottle that hasn't been mixed recently. It really helps get a thorough mix of the pigments and carrier solution.

Definitely a couple unique birds. I really like the coloring of the blue/grey one.

Hey Chris thanks a lot. Appreciated. I use the Commercial thinners from the respective colours I am using (Vallejo, Ammo of Mig etc.). I am starting to use pure and simple water with a droplet of detergent which has produced a much more satisfactory result. Sometimes the inconsistency Comes from the paint brushing and I have to work on that.

Cheers

Alex

Back