• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Gun Truck 1: Quarter Ton of fun...

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
MoreThan4_28129.JPG

MoreThan4_28229.JPG

MoreThan4_28329.JPG

While I am leaning towards an armored Mutt (California Dreaming orges to mind) I have asked David "animal" Willett to help me decide.
MoreThan4_28429.JPG

References at hand...

new_stuff_003-2.JPG

new_stuff_004-3.JPG

Started with the engine.

I am not so worried about finishing for the GB as this is only one of six gun trucks in the pipe line.

Regards,

Last edited:
The manual is quite cool as it has images of all the placards. I have some microscale metallic decal sheets onto which I can print placards even though I do have Archer Fine Transfers as well.

I have not found the armor package which CMK used as inspiration. Also, the gun mount and M-60 look like direct kit copies. Since the stowage is not realistic for the use (really, duffel bags to go from point A to point B on a delivery?), there is not much to recommend this product. Their M151A2 engine set is another matter. Especially since not many know that the variant DID go to Vietnam and one was armed with a TRIPLE M-60 rig!

Oh, I did not worry too much about the engine as I don't plan to show it.

Regards,

I know Animal did express an interest in California Dreamer. In one photo, she has two M73 machine guns liberated from an M706 Commando. So, I grabbed the TM for the gun and took some measurements to produce this sketch:
CommandoV100Guns.jpg

Let's see if I can scratchbuild the guns. The hard part will be getting an idea of how the handle and butterfly triggers were mocked up on this vehicle since the M73s were designed to be turret mounted as coaxial or primary guns.

Regards,

It would have been easier to just put the dimensions on this image... Click on image to go to an informative site about this gun.

Regards,

Hi all, I haven't had time for any of my build but they are not forgotten!

I do plan to scratchbuild the M-73 machine guns. If it fails though:
A-221_A-223.JPG

There is Plan B!

Regards,

Note the mine damage to the rear starboard (right) side. It has bent up the fender and splayed out the rear axle (it was not the effect of the armor weight as someone had suggested to me). The front starboard wheel lacks the lightening holes so I may need to steal the spare wheel from the M38 kit or use the old Academy/Tamiya Mutt wheel as it would be easier to fill since the holes are represented by indentations.

Today was simple mundane work like adding strengthening strips to the undercarriage as well as the skid plates.

Regards,

I know you see the way the rear end is sagging because the added armor. This is a neat project, "Up
Armored Mutt".

The rear is sagging because of mine damage. Note the damage to the fender arch above the wheel and the dent lower line.
;)

Regards,

I just received this and it is one of Verlinden's best update sets:
VP1538a.JPG

While designed for the Tamiya kits, it fits the Academy kits (both old and new) very well. Of course, some of the resin parts are no longer needed as the Academy parts are already in the A1 configuration I need.

Regards,

Back