• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mustang IVa

RichB

Mustang IVa KH676 3 Sqn RAAF Italy, Apr 1945

- ex-USAAF P-51K-1-NT 44-11379
- TOS 23 Apr 1945
- coded CV-A
- assigned to F/Lt Alan F. "Dusty" Lane
- A/A Cat I damage 01 May 45 (flown by WO McDonald)
- SOS 06 Aug 45
- SOC 26 Feb 47[/right]

This is the Airfix 1/48 Mustang IVa in the "Firewall Scheme", brush painted with Vallejo, weathered with oil washes and pigments. There were a wiring and piping details added to the radio. battery and fuel tank to busy up the area behind the cockpit. Upper and lower wing panel lines filled as per prototype. The Aussies like to add "screamers" to the wingtips, something they started with the P-40's, to emulate the Stuka siren. They were scrounged from the whistles the Luftwaffe added to 1,000 lb bombs left behind as the abandoned airfields. The oil breather vent port was moved back up to the RH cowl side from the kits position near the RH wing/fuselage intersection, the location most warbird restorers have moved it to so the fuselage doesn't get an oil spray down its side. The canopy lower edge required thinning to get it to sit down properly in the open position. The kit aircraft code decals are provided in Sky so were painted in white as seen in ref photos. The wing leading edge yellow ID stripe as shown on the kit painting instructions as they were left off MTO aircraft. applying the myriad of stencils can also be skipped as they were left of on the majority of camouflaged Mustang IV's.

On to the pics.

h7d1a449.JPG

hd1fee06.JPG

h58ed548.JPG

h78ca44f.JPG

h5ea07e6.JPG

Cheers,
Rich

Very nicely done Rich... been a long time since I built an RAF P-51, maybe this year :idonno

Ian.

I applaud Rich doing a paint job with just paint brushes and no airbrush. Looks to have been an interesting build and nice info and history on these planes.

Looks_Good_GIF.gif

That is really a beautiful model Rich. I can only dream of doing my paintings with the brush as smooth as you do.

Is this 1/48? I guess 1/72 is much more difficult for brushpainting.

Congratulations.

Alex

Yes it is 1:48. Same principles for both 1:48 and 1:72, just slightly smaller brushes for smaller kits.

Cheers,
Rich

That is really a beautiful model Rich. I can only dream of doing my paintings with the brush as smooth as you do.

Is this 1/48? I guess 1/72 is much more difficult for brushpainting.

Congratulations.

Alex

Actually it's not. I have brush painted a number of my small scale models; both aircraft and armor and still been able to get a decent coat. It takes practice, and memorizing the right amount of thinner to add to the paint to improve flow and leveling.

Rich, outstanding work on that pony! Way to go!

Back