• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

**FINISHED** Airfix 1/24 Mosquito build log

Airfix 1/24 Mosquito build log

Great job on the large beast! Unfortunately the photos really don't give a real impression of the size. I am sure it is someplace upword of my Ju88 and that doesn't seem all that large.

I really have to give you a hand on building this for someone else's collection. I learned a long time ago that I hate building something for someone else. Makes the hobby a JOB and I already have one of those. :S

Looks great and am looking forword to seeing your next project! (y) :D

Unfortunately the photos really don't give a real impression of the size.

Right? I opened the kit the day I received it and thought 'Weird, no gunports in the nose cone :hmmm ' And then I realized I was looking at one of the spinners.

I can take a photo of the kit next to something again for size reference. Any ideas guys? A 48th scale model that we all roughly know the size of, like a Mustang? A can of pop?

Thanks so much everyone for sticking with me through this build. I plan to do a comprehensive write up of the instruction manual as a separate thread for future builders. Hopefully I can spare them some pain, because when built, this kit is beautiful.

I had a picture of my 1:48 B-1 and 1:48 Albatros Dv, really kinda funny because I think the Albatros can take off and land in the B-1 wingspan. :rotf

Great job on the large beast! Unfortunately the photos really don't give a real impression of the size. I am sure it is someplace upward of my Ju88 and that doesn't seem all that large.

For those asking for a size reference

sqyrjqc.jpg

1oy8SdZ.jpg

Something we've likely all built - Tamiya's 48th scale Stang
6pO50cl.jpg

Thanks so much everyone for following along and being so patient with me. I'm very happy with the end result and I appreciate that my hard work has yielded all these compliments.

My next project has forty three parts. I need a break.

Say man u feek, say c bone and all those French words. Anyway, it is a killer build and a top notch project.

Yup, the root beer can and dollar bill give a decent impression of the size. Always hard to do with little computer photos. Excellent job!

Are you going to build another one for yourself? :eek:hyeah

Well folks, packing this thing was a damn chore. My wife had to bring boxes home from work until we found one that fit - and it only just fit (not this box)

5dCifUN.jpg

I wanted a box that I could enclose the model in. I wasn't about to risk cutting a larger box down, because I wanted the strength of a preproduced box. The ONLY box we could find that would work (and keep in mind, we just had Christmas, and we checked up and down the neighborhoods) was for a desktop all-in-one. The box measured 54x56x58cm and the plane JUST fit.

Now to protect the plane. I had been saving packing supplies for the entire year, but then the foam that was used for the printer proved to be perfect.

oVRgBrF.jpg

We need to make sure she doesn't move though, this is just her helmet.

Can't go forward, up or down
385DqKi.jpg

Can't go back
jB3dDes.jpg

Better protect these fragile guns (yes, they HAD to be installed.) from the foam peanuts or whatever I was going to use.
9Xd1D4U.jpg

^^^Yes, the wife knows I used that knife.

lXj3CpZ.jpg

Now she's more protected

MqgdLVv.jpg

Hmm, I have more foam, I wonder if I can make this like a cage, protect it completely.

I'll measure and cut this...

BjRBKD6.jpg

To slot perfectly into here

yXa902e.jpg

Not quite happy yet.

zyWjHEC.jpg

Tada!

And that's as safe as she's going to be. The rest of the parts are boxed up in small postal boxes that paint/parts had been arriving in.

As they say, that's all she wrote folks.

Hahaha yeah I guess it would now wouldn't it? I'm pleased with what I came up with. The foam block is wedged securely in a giant box (so big is its size), the remaining space filled with parcel paper, peanuts, airbags and anything else that was light that could take some impact if -heaven forbid - the parcel gets a knock.

Congratulations!

Great Job!! (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

It looks like it was just rolled off Geoffrey de Havilland's assembly line! Beautiful paint job!

Bob

Isn't that the truth? Glenn's putting the bits a pieces together, so keep your eye on this thread to see the final, finished word on this kit.

Back