• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya P38J

Step 2

Gun bay

ddcaebc3e3e785f42a06d6a73bbc2189.jpg

_DSC9083.JPG

This looks a lot easier than the engine. Instructions (like the engine) call out interior colours as Silver although some people seem to use the Zinc Chromate you see on P47,s

The one with 5757 is Glacier Girl. Just goes to show you just because it's in a museum doesn't make it correct.

Yep, I'm sure we've all seen this page.

Not all interior colors were the same. If it were the same it'd be boring.

I was talking about the OD gun bay.
Your post mentioned Glacier Girl, at the Prairie Aviation Museum and the comment about museum inaccuracies (which I agree, by the way). However, the PAM and Paul E Gerber facilities try to be as authentic as possible.

GUNS GUNS GUNS 5of them actually

_DSC9086.JPG

Not to many parts here now separated from their 3D supports.

Once again it took me longer to work out the positioning of the guns than anything else as the instructions are really vague.
A picture of the platform and a picture of a gun and an arrow between the two....doesnt really tell you anything other than the two part go to together :)
_DSC9094.JPG

Before i go much further i need to cut the kit nose off to test fit the guns as i have been caught before with Eduard where you can fit their engine or in this case guns or you can fit their cockpit but fitting both can be a problem , presumably the separate up grades are designed to fit the kits at different times, hopefully these parts being new 3D versions they will work together.

_DSC9089.JPG

You are not wrong Bob. i have hit my first problem ..As i cant find anyone else on the Web who has fitted one of these engines, Eduard to Tamiya, i am not sure the instructions are correct, re cutting up the kit parts.

Panic over, its just me struggling with the instructions.....
Once you have made up your mind you are going to have to cut this model up its not so bad

_DSC9096.JPG

This what you need to cut
1716307069902.png

_DSC9099.JPG

balanced together i think i got that right
1716307077794.png

_DSC9100.JPG

Same with the front

Last edited:
Do you have someplace to put the nose weight? While the tail on the new Tamiya kits are fairly light, it still needs more weight in the nose.

Tamiya supply 3 ball bearings at 10 mm and 10g each, one for the nose i cant use and 2 for the engine pods, one i cant use so i am 60g short :mad:

I did fill the Eduard engine with flattened air riffle pellets but that was nothing like 10g although the engine also weighs a bit
This is the part Tamiya supply which i can use on one engine
its basically the roof of the wheel well with a front cradle that protrudes forward into the engine nasal and hold a ball bearing

_DSC9102.JPG

Of the 90g supplied i will be lucky to find room for about half that so i expect to add a tail skid in very fine wire.
....as we say here, it is what it is...

Last edited:
Back