• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Italeri Sunderland III

OK, enough goofing around. Not a lot to show but a lot of prep work to be done before I paint the acres of interior with interior green. First up was to install the crew entry doors and the bomb loading doors. All of them except the door on the pilot's side just dropped right in and some glue flowed on from the backside and done. The pilot's side door required a little plastic to be removed on the inside around the upper part of the door before I could get a good flush fit.

sunderland-b01.jpg

sunderland-b02.jpg

I then assembled as much of the interior structure as I could before painting. Other than the flight deck little of the rest will be seen so it will get a coat of paint and be done.

sunderland-b03.jpg

sunderland-b04.jpg

No fit issues and only a minor amount of trimming and clean up.

There are two PE seat support structure frames that need folded. The PE was quite heavy and I probably should have annealed them first as they were a real bear to fold.

sunderland-b05.jpg
sunderland-b06.jpg

and I have a bunch of pieces parts ready for paint.

sunderland-b07.jpg

But before I break out the airbrush I have a couple of question for Rich who seems to be our resident Sunderland expert. Reference the photo below; as I understand your statement about blanking off the center of three windows near the right side wing leading edge I'm assuming it's the one I have the arrow pointing towards. Note that this and the first window are already blocked off. Looking through my meager Sunderland references I did come across one photo with this arrangement that was identified as a Mk III. Were some possibly done this way ? This appears to be common on the Mk V. Unfortunately most of the photos I have are from the pilots side and that is the side most profiles are drawn. And naturally the instructions show installing windows in all three but make no mention of needing to open up two of them to do so.

Question two, the tenth port hole I am assuming goes forward of the other nine as the ninth one from the front appears to be in the correct relation to the rest of the structure. About where the red circle on the photo is.

sunderland-b08.jpg

I'm hoping Rich hasn't gotten bored and stopped looking in :idonno

And just so everyone knows my interior will NOT look like this

airfix1.jpg

airfix2.jpg

The above was done with the old Airfix kit !

I'm back, was in the big city the last couple of days.

You are correct, the tenth porthole goes were you have the circle.

From what I've read, the one with the red X should also be filled.

sunder.jpg

If you want to get into the weeds, not all of the portholes should have the engraved outer rim. Only the portholes that opened had those. I haven't got into figuring out which ones those are yet.

Cheers,
Rich

OK, thanks Rich ! (y) I think I read about the porthole issue in the book where I got the two interior photos and I'm not sure in this scale if I'm want to deal with it. I don't like the kit supplied clear parts for the portholes and I'm not a big fan of using the liquid clear stuff as on opening this size you always get a meniscus so it looks like I'm going to be punching out a lot of porthole windows. The good news is that the largest punch in my Waldron punch set is dead on for the correct diameter.

If the wowser is for the one with the super interior, it's not my work, my life span wouldn't permit detail on that scale, but cheers for looking in !

Nope its for your stuff I have been wayting for a while to see an build log of one of these Italieri ones done.

There is some real nice detail in this kit

Glad youre doing it and I hope you have more bad weather days so you can do some more.

OK, errant porthole plugged with a plug punched from .030" styrene with my Waldron punch. I also got the additional porthole drilled. I added the PE piece supplied with the Eduard set. Bit of a pip to install as it needs to cover a compound curve surface but it does cover the one ejector pin mark that would be visible through the cockpit canopy. Turns out the self adhesive material was not up to the task and super glue was needed to hold it in place. It also didn't match my color of interior green so I masked of the black boxes so it could be painted along with the rest of the interior.

sunderland-b11.jpg

The other side PE fit even worse due to some fold out areas that made the piece harder to bend, I ended up filling the gap at the top with some clear parts cement.

sunderland-b12.jpg

Once everything was masked all the parts needing interior green were painted. While that was drying down I started assembling stuff that could just be put together without further ado such as the wings, tail planes and the floats.

sunderland-b13.jpg

I liked the way they did the floats, it should make for a solid connection to the struts.

sunderland-b10.jpg

So far the fit of all parts has been very good although I find their alignment pins a bit laughable, the hole that the pin fits into on all parts is considerably larger than the pin itself creating a lot of slop so care needs to be taken that edges line up in spite of the alignment pins. It's almost as if the die makers didn't have any confidence that they had the pins and holes properly located. In a couple instances I had to cut the pins off to improve fit.

sunderland-b09.jpg

That's it for this time, once the paint dries it will be on to the pit assembly.

Back