• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

25 PDR field gun (Ongoing project)

paddy

DSC_7109.jpg

I have been looking for a longer term project I can pick up and put down for some time and finally this is it 
I am going to try and build a 8th Army diorama , I have an idea in my mind for a layout, all I need is something of height to add at the back to give it a true 3 dimension look…like a building but obviously it needs to be in a desert, maybe trees ?, I don’t know yet. Some sort of wooden structure would be ideal as I have worked with balsa before…..
Bottom line is …I can’t paint people !! I’m totally new to armour/trucks and I have never worked with anything like modelling clay or ever constructed a base of any sort …..lol
I decided to start with something not to difficult so here we have a 25PDR field gun and a Eduard PE set which seems to be at least 50% of the gun !! :laugh:

DSC_7111.jpg

Got to start somewhere so off we go but already its proving quite tricky you need some 1mm plastic and 0.8mm brass rod

DSC_7113.jpg

DSC_7116.jpg

Thanks guys, i painted one of my men tonight because its been bothering me if i could do a decent job so now this guy is keeping watch on things and checking up on his own set of instructions :)

DSC_7117.jpg

He needs a flat coat to take the shine off the the cloth but i think he will do :)

That's a really nice looking figure and painting of it. Is that one of the figures from the Master Box LRDG Figures Set?

Cheers

Cool stuff Paddy. I had a couple of those in the stash. Looking forward to seeing how yours goes together. I find the Eduard PE very soft though and I dont know if your have thought about it. Personally I would use the PE shield as a template and make the shield from plastic card. It would stand up to handling much better. Just a thought on my part.

James

That's a really nice looking figure and painting of it. Is that one of the figures from the Master Box LRDG Figures Set?

Cheers

Hi Peter
Yes this is the set you put me on to in the British trucks thread i started thanks. Its OTB but i added the neck cord for the pistol.. As you say most of the figures in this set and the Desert forces North Africa set i got are looking down or squinting in the sun so eyes are not a huge problem. I looked at a few tuition posts that James linked to which are a great help but they are bigger figures and its not easy to transfer their ideas to 1/35.

Lots of PE to play with here. the trail is basically done and under coated

DSC_7141.jpg

The Shield is also done. everything here is PE

DSC_7145.jpg

as usual PE looks pretty scrappy until its painted so a quick undercoat helps see where we are

DSC_7147.jpg

I did take on board James's comments about this being a bit weak and using it as a pattern to make a better one out of plastic sheet but i figure once on a diorama it will not be handled again so decided to go with the PE. It does actually gain a bit of rigidity as the pieces are stuck to it.

Looking very nice.

There are two 25 pounders outside the entrance to Moss Park Armouries in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

The other day I was searching You Tube looking for 25 pounders in action during WW2. Didn't find much but was surprised how many 25 pounders are still being used.

Cheers

We used them up to the early 90s which isn't bad for a 1930s gun. I think we still have a few for ceremonial duty's, 21 gun salutes etc but most were replaced with the 105mm L118 Light Gun in operations

Moving on to the limber now and then the tractor. this box is really three complete kits and great value for money :)

DSC_7172.jpg

DSC_7168.jpg

DSC_7168_01.jpg

DSC_7169.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'm learning here so comments and ideas, criticism and laughing out loud very welcome :)

Looks good Paddy, almost too clean. I'd run a dark wash to bring out the details then dust it up. But I'm a aircraft guy also, what do I know? :popcorn

You are right Bob, I will leave the dusting until i have done the Limber and truck so they all match.
I have done a dark wash but the lighting has bleached it out in the photo. This shows it better.
i need some daylight for proper pictures

DSC_7164.jpg

I'd scratch up that carousel thing pretty badly, you know it took a beating.

Yeah I can see the wash now. Looks good. :popcorn

Back