• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Great Modeling weekend. Now with pictures.

jknaus

Administrator
Well I am super chuffed with the weekend modeling wise. I got more of my Yak 9 done and am now just waiting on some seat belts. I also started my PT-17 and have the gearbox painted, the cylinders primed (all 3d printed, and got the seats in. There I am not quite so happy as the seat mounts are about 1mm wider than the kit mounts and so if I scratch built the rails they would not fit the floor mounts. So shaved off the seat mounts and glued the rails on. All painted. Got the wings and tailplanes glued together. I need to figure out seat belts though. I also got the kneading machine printed and will glue it all together sometime soon. Printing a bunch of T-72 stuff for a canned project. I got decals for my Meng T-72B3 but it is the wrong version so it has been shelved until I find interest again. You'll be noticing there are no pics and thats because pictures seem to jinx my builds now. I take pics and then never finish. So pictures after its all done. Gathering info for a F6F-3N now and trying to find markings. Montex makes a set of masks for a Marine bird but noone seems to have them. I want to do a solid blue bird rather than a try colour scheme. My F6F-5 will be tri colour. Also waiting on some pe for my TBD-1 and I will build it as soon as the PE arrives. So a good weekend of building. Sigh back to work tomorrow though.
James

I also had a good session. @errains and @iambrb came up to the shed and we had a good session. I threw my hands up at trying to mask the birdcage canopy of a 1:72 Kate, or Val, or whoever she was and picked up the 1:48 Mustang again. Recall I'm doing Col Don Blakeslee's ride. Fuselage is sealed up and got the wings on.

Also experimented with some resin dewarping. More later.

sorry, @Rhino
:nopics: from me yet.

James, I have this one labeled as a -3N out of Jacksonville, though I can't see the 1/4 windows I do see the gun shrouds normally seen on early dash 3's.

6 F6F-3N NAS Jacksonville 1943.jpg

Last edited:
I also had a good session. @errains and @iambrb came up to the shed and we had a good session. I threw my hands up at trying to mask the birdcage canopy of a 1:72 Kate, or Val, or whoever she was and picked up the 1:48 Mustang again. Recall I'm doing Col Don Blakeslee's ride. Fuselage is sealed up and got the wings on.

Also experimented with some resin dewarping. More later.

sorry, @Rhino
:nopics: from me yet.
Hey Bob, something you might try when masking a birdcage canopy is to do it in lines. Rather than mask off the individual windows, mask off a whole line. I did that when masking the canopy on this 1/72 Do-335. I masked the long lines first then the next shorter and such. It takes a little thought, but it ended up being a LOT easier to mask parts then a quick shoot, then mask another few lines and shoot. It also ended up being a lot cleaner on the lines as they are straight rather than maybe not lining up.

Do-335 Canopy 2.jpg

Do-335 Canopy.jpg

Hey Bob, something you might try when masking a birdcage canopy is to do it in lines. Rather than mask off the individual windows, mask off a whole line. I did that when masking the canopy on this 1/72 Do-335. I masked the long lines first then the next shorter and such. It takes a little thought, but it ended up being a LOT easier to mask parts then a quick shoot, then mask another few lines and shoot. It also ended up being a lot cleaner on the lines as they are straight rather than maybe not lining up.

View attachment 161422

View attachment 161423
Thanks Paul but nope, just not interested in doing this at this time. Kinda gotten my mojo on the Mustang as it sort of fell together while chatting about the latest abomination of dancing Klingons. :dance:

:blink Dancing Klingons? Singing crew? Oy Vey!

Meeanwhile, I really. like the decals... gotta get me some!

Star Trek……the musical
where’s the darn cats!?
I saw this the other night and thought my dementia had started…until I read the show description…then I changed channels to watch rust valley restorers (no singing there)

Dancing Klingons. 🤪 No way to un-see that! Saints preserve us!
How about a nice round of tribble dodgeball?

Hopefully I dont regret taking pics. So the PT-17 and the Kneading wagon and the Yak 9. Oh and did some printing on the FDM machine which was modeling related. I took 2 different tape holders and combined them together in Tinkercad and printed out the fankentapeholder. Holds 6, 10, and 18mm tape cases by Tamiya and then there are slots for smaller widths of tape which I have not added yet. Also I printed out a 3 bottle glue holder for the 3 types of liquid glue from Tamiya. I think the seats for the PT-17 look awesome compared to the kit seat. Second photo you can see the kit seat between the printed ones. I guess I forgot to take a picture of the 3D printed throttle quadrants and map case. Looks like the map case is the same type as used in the P-47 so I have 2 extras when I make that kit. Hoping to get more work on the PT-17 this weekend and still waiting on the Yak seat belts before I glue the fuse together.
20230808_081650.jpg
20230808_081741.jpg
20230808_081746.jpg
20230808_081749.jpg
20230808_081827.jpg
20230808_082114.jpg
20230808_082121.jpg
20230808_082700.jpg
20230808_082705.jpg

James

I do like those seat for the PT-17! Have at it James!

Am in the Project room tonight trying to get motivated on getting all the piles of stuff put up and all the big items moved to where they need to be. Little steps but am getting something done. Need to figure out something for holding all my paint where I can access it.

Back