• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BV 138 Flying Clog

Those green marks were put there by someone else- I, um, borrowed these pics from The Information Superhighway. ;)

Those green marks were put there by someone else- I, um, borrowed these pics from The Information Superhighway. ;)

HAHAHAHAHA thanks Chuck :)

Well, I looked through my stash of old Humbrol tins. Found this very old one and the paint is still like new.

clog_winter_scheme_correction_001a.jpg

The much newer white is a very different texture . Not nearly as good. :(

Ok, rubbed most of the vertical streaking effect and killed the spooks .

clog_winter_scheme_correction_002a.jpg

clog_winter_scheme_correction__003_a.jpg

What do you think now ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Humbrol Authentic Colours.... now there's a memory. I still have a couple aswell. The Glossy Sea Blue is still usable and still the best I ever used.

Ian

Sorry if I insulted you with the spooks Chris.
The new version looks really good. Looks like it been beaten up by the Baltic. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Sorry if I insulted you with the spooks Chris.
The new version looks really good. Looks like it been beaten up by the Baltic. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

There were no insults James . Sometimes when you damage things the outcome can be interesting ( :rotf )

I find the pursuit of this paint job is not as easy as what MIG makes it look . It seems as he skips over some small info in his DVD or it appears different in this scale.

In order to remove additional streaking required stronger solvents . Very ifi procedure . :sick:

I have been talking with the Liquitex rep and he said that they do have a non removable clear varnish....might have to try it out in the sidelines.

Thanks for being the other set of eyes .

Cheers, Christian B)

Ok, sealed the side of the hull with a flat coat.

More opinions needed . Now, it seems the streaking has all but disappeared . :coolio

clog_winter_weather_correction_sealer_001_a.jpg

Let me know what you think . Cheers, Christian B)

I think it's toned down nicely, still think you need some sort of demark along the waterline, but probably not white, think it's too stark.

hfec66b2.jpg

see what I"m talking about outlined?

I think it's toned down nicely, still think you need some sort of demark along the waterline, but probably not white, think it's too stark.

hfec66b2.jpg

see what I"m talking about outlined?

Don't know for sure. I think it might be too toned down. Waiting for more eyes on it , to see what others think.
What tones down the real streaks ( in my mind ) is the facts that the pictures are not very sharp.

Now, you need to read all the words in my posts :rotf :rotf :rotf

Thanks Chuck . Could use a bit of info on these bright green marks you have made .

I'm aware of the water line but plan on doing that last.

This paint job is only partially done . I'm doing it in layers . The water line grime will be my last step :rotf :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Cheers, Christian B)

I like it like that. Maybe if you want to make a demarcation line put some silly putty along it and then mist on a very very thinned original colour, or slightly lightened original colour. Couple of passes and let it dry and see how it looks. Then a couple more until it washes out the paint yet leaves the colour recognizable. That way its slightly toned down unevenly at the waterline and yet not a stark change.
James

It's not always easy to critique paint jobs and effects from photos posted on line, too many variables at work. There have been numerous times that my weathering attempts looked good to me in person but when I posted a photo the effects all but disappeared. It's a little like TV and the movies, the actors if seen in person would appear to have overly heavy make up yet on screen it looks normal mostly due to the harsh lights washing out the effects.

Chris, I've examined that pic in photoshop. The green marks obscure some swastikas on the bkg planes, point out a docking trestle and an exhaust pipe- but the two big ones in the center puzzle me.

It's not always easy to critique paint jobs and effects from photos posted on line, too many variables at work. There have been numerous times that my weathering attempts looked good to me in person but when I posted a photo the effects all but disappeared. It's a little like TV and the movies, the actors if seen in person would appear to have overly heavy make up yet on screen it looks normal mostly due to the harsh lights washing out the effects.

Hi Garry . The disappearing factor is something I have experience before with pigments. You have to make your marks overly obvious and after the flat coat it turns out about right.

That was my main reason for not being exited about the obvious vertical streak earlier.

The other problem I have found with this method is that the streaks were just barely visible until they were absolutely dry.

Not too worried about harsh light as this is the only place that paint work will be seen under these conditions.

Cheers, Christian B)

Chris, I've examined that pic in photoshop. The green marks obscure some swastikas on the bkg planes, point out a docking trestle and an exhaust pipe- but the two big ones in the center puzzle me.

Me either chuck . The forward one seems to mark a couple servicing panels but the aft one is beyond ... unless it marks the catapult attach points that I added to the hull long ago :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Christian I also find it difficult to say anything about the streaking. I am finding that more and more the effects that I see when I look at my builds are completely lost when I try to show it in the pictures. I have also recently started with videos and find that again, almost all my efforts are lost in the videos. I am trying to show the streaking on my B-17 in pictures and having a difficult time doing it.

Joe

Hi guys . Have not made much progress the last couple of weeks . Life has been harumph , challenging :blush:

The kit supplied bombs were total trash except for the racks.

I found a couple in my salvaged plastic and reshaped them to a better profile. I added some PE fins and painted the tail cones.
The kit racks were glued into place.

clog_boms_001a.jpg

All of the above was then installed . The extra plastic trimmed to resemble a fuse Not too bad considering.

clog_bombs_003b.jpg

The keel and lower wings have been weathered and sealed . Proof that pastels don't totally disappear under a clear coat .

clog_weathering_002a.jpg

The outrigger floats have been installed, the fuselage windows installed and the rest of the fuselage and booms weathered . Done, except for the upper wings :blush:

Today the kit of the transporter arrived . Disappointed 38 pieces of resin and I don't believe it's gonna look like the real thing.
Here's their fancy instructions for all these bits and pieces .

clog_transport_001_a.jpg

I think I am going to try to adapt the pieces to be more convincing than the kit :sick: Don't believe it's gonna be easy.

I only have a couple of poor pictures of the transporter . If anyone has any pictures or drawings that would be helpful, please share .

Thanks for looking . Cheers, Christian B)

Back