• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dial 1 700 I N S A N E. Flyhawk Bismarck.

Ganz ausgetzeichnet! Das kann Ich kaum glauben! Guten Morgen, Herr Hood und auf wiedersehen.
:ro:

I did a search of the Missouri firing and found these. The Bismark firing would be quite and interesting build!

The mighty Mo
h4242f46.jpg

The Iowa
hff74fd7.jpg

Some side shots
h59e6d2f.jpg

h21f76bb.jpg

h9c76f38.jpg

I have most of those of those photos Paul, but didn't come across the Missouri. That one is perfect. It's dark (I want the blast effect to essentially light the whole model and base) and the wave disturbance from the shock wave is more interesting than the Iowa. Most photos are from the side so you don't really see the entire thing.

And you posted that at the perfect time, I'm just about to start the base in earnest. Thanks!

This was is the photo I was basing the test on, turns out it's the Mo. I'm leaning toward stretch sprue hint of projectile on one firing.

hccfc63f.jpg

Almost ready to cast it.

Paul hooked me up with a high res piccy of the Missouri firing that really helped with the way the water behaves under the salvoes.

Hard to get a good photo of the brown clay without harsh lighting, but this should give you an idea.

Not sure if it'll be clear or solid and painted yet. It's too large to fit in my vacuum chamber, so bubble free would be tough.

At this scale, I don't think translucency would be believable anyway, just a layering of blue/greens may be better. We'll see. For now it's about to disappear under silicone and plaster.

hc2b5ac8.jpg

h5596781.jpg

Got it molded and did the first pull, just to clean the mold and see what's up.

I really happy with it, considering I couldn't vacuum it after pouring and the silicone at all. Mold is bubble free, some developed it the waves crests, but that's expected.

I just squeezed some green tint into the mix to get an idea, but with this opaque resin, it adds white. Now I'm leaning towards doing it clear, heavily tinted, we'll see. As is, it looks more shallow sandy pacific harbor than North Atlantic, but I'll mess around with painting this.

Maybe I'll build up layers of trans blue and yellow Tamiya in between clear coats.

Gotta play around.

Anyway here are the photos of the mold as well as the test pull:

h8912a5f.jpg

h194a4ce.jpg

hf9ad72d.jpg

ha063ddf.jpg

h5138fe2.jpg

I misted some Vallejo Signal Blue in Future and really like the effect as is. I may just tweak this and keep the test pull.

h1aa506f.jpg

h53bc352.jpg

That's a rich color, remember working with it on something I did a while back. (y)

Yeah, I didn't know what to expect. This was just messing around. I grabbed teh darkest blue I had and added some drops to straight Future and started spraying/

It seems to compliment the green of the resin well.

All mistakes, but as Bob Ross used to say 'happy mistakes'.

Shoot, if it wasn't for that dark blob of unmixed tint in the corner, I wouldn't have thought to go as dark in some spots. I really adds depth.

Looking great Jeff,

I really enjoy watching creativity in action! If it weren't for those little "Mistakes", there would probably be no masters!!!

:yipee

Keep going! It'sreally looking great!

Bob

Back