• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DML Sd. Kfz. 10/5 Completed 2 years 6 months later

DML Sd. Kfz. 10/5 Ukraine 1943

The shaver. About 90% there. Still need to tighten up shades.

hf47b45c.jpeg

h4e7b91a.jpeg

hd7975b5.jpeg

don't know why you down on your figure painting skills, he looks sharp. :popcorn

don't know why you down on your figure painting skills, he looks sharp. :popcorn

I guess because I am struggling to see the faces as I paint them. I look at close-ups and it’s just not as smooth as I like. I want the gradation finer as well. I am using an Optivisor with #5 lens. I just ordered a #10, which is 3.5x. This is the max. I also have been window shopping stereo microscopes...

h8df3fac.JPG

I guess because I am struggling to see the faces as I paint them. I looks at close ups and it’s just not as smooth as I like. I want the gradation finer as well. I am using an Optivisor with #5 lens. I just ordered a #10, which is 3.5x. This is the max. I also have been window shopping stereo microscopes...

Been using a #10 since 1987!

Join the club John! :)

Bob

I guess because I am struggling to see the faces as I paint them. I looks at close ups and it’s just not as smooth as I like. I want the gradation finer as well. I am using an Optivisor with #5 lens. I just ordered a #10, which is 3.5x. This is the max. I also have been window shopping stereo microscopes...

Been using a #10 since 1987!

Join the club John! :)

Bob

:(

Not that I'am in you league as a modeler but I have found that the more I try to fine tune the face the further away I get. The machine gunner I'am playing with I realized that I had the face pretty darn good early on but thought to myself it cannot be right as not much shading had been done,next minute BAM a suntaned african appeared....WAY to far.
For ME I think the "less is more approach" might be the way to go.
And as MP has said the faces look great from here. I personally feel that if the figure (face) look's good an natural from 30cm away then that's what I'm looking for.{ I wear glasses as well}
But like I said I am not a Master so what I have just said my be complete cow doo (please feel free to disagree) but it's how I'am approaching faces.

Kurt.

Not that I'am in you league as a modeler but I have found that the more I try to fine tune the face the further away I get. The machine gunner I'am playing with I realized that I had the face pretty darn good early on but thought to myself it cannot be right as not much shading had been done,next minute BAM a suntaned african appeared....WAY to far.
For ME I think the "less is more approach" might be the way to go.
And as MP has said the faces look great from here. I personally feel that if the figure (face) look's good an natural from 30cm away then that's what I'm looking for.{ I wear glasses as well}
But like I said I am not a Master so what I have just said my be complete cow doo (please feel free to disagree) but it's how I'am approaching faces.

Kurt.

I hear you loud and clear. And you are probably correct for most figure sculpts. I always am trying to push my comfort zone which is why I am using hornet heads. The sculpts are very good and the anatomy is there. I know where I want the paint to go, the problem so far is getting it there!

Totally understand,Hornet is a great product and if you don't get the best out of them you feel cheated in a way.
The search for perfection continues :drinks

Eye revision. I’m gonna need new eyes to do much better, can you say stereo microscope...

h6237c8c.jpeg

Back