• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Do you remember the first model kit you ever built

Great stuff guys - I see lots of aeroplanes there! I too was aircraft heavy in the beginning, then migrated to monogram funny car kits, and then I built the Tamiya SAS jeep, about 1971. That was it for me. Primarily armor from there on out. I especially loved the Renwal kits.

Moon I didn't have anything in mind really. Do you?

Great stuff guys - I see lots of aeroplanes there! I too was aircraft heavy in the beginning, then migrated to monogram funny car kits, and then I built the Tamiya SAS jeep, about 1971. That was it for me. Primarily armor from there on out. I especially loved the Renwal kits.

That's funny, maybe it's the natural progression. After the Aurora Monsters, all my allowance/lawn mowing dollars went to whatever Monogram kit was on the Woolworth's shelf. Usually a WWII Pacific based AC, then some ETO stuff. It wasn't until I was an adult getting back into it that I started armor.

Duke, it's amazing that you still have that. Looks like you built it yesterday.

That's funny, maybe it's the natural progression. After the Aurora Monsters, all my allowance/lawn mowing dollars went to whatever Monogram kit was on the Woolworth's shelf. Usually a WWII Pacific based AC, then some ETO stuff. It wasn't until I was an adult getting back into it that I started armor.

Duke, it's amazing that you still have that. Looks like you built it yesterday.

LOL! It's that good eh? LOL! :tomato :woohoo: :woohoo:

Yeah, you're looking at an almost 50-year-old model there.

My first memory of modeling is my Mom taking me to the toy store and giving me $20 to blow on what ever I wanted when I was about 7. Don't know why but I chose 3 ship models. Can't remember which ones. Wish I could. I do remember trying to float them in puddles after it rained.

Still have mine! :D

This is the first model I ever built by myself, don't remember the manufacturer, but the box art was cool. You know I'm still as proud of this build as that Sunday on the kitchen table when it was done.

IMG_1486.JPG

This is for Saul

IMG_1487.JPG

That was your first?! You should be proud Jeff, great job! I can remember that Porsche was a huge glue and paint blob and the rear window had so much glue that it was simi fluid for years. :rotf

Jeff, that is awesome you still have your first! I'm glad I'm not the only one. It looks fantastic! I don't blame you for feeling proud of that.

Growing up along the Gulf Coast, the thing to do during the summer was to go to Ft Walton Beach, Florida. Being a fair redhead, beaches and I didn't get along, but mu older brothers and sisters loved it. So, Dad would stop at the USS Alabama for me. My first model was of the Big Bama.

Vintage-Revell-Uss-Alabama-Battleship-1-720-Scale-Model_zpspffzzk4q.jpg

Growing up along the Gulf Coast, the thing to do during the summer was to go to Ft Walton Beach, Florida. Being a fair redhead, beaches and I didn't get along, but mu older brothers and sisters loved it. So, Dad would stop at the USS Alabama for me. My first model was of the Big Bama.

Vintage-Revell-Uss-Alabama-Battleship-1-720-Scale-Model_zpspffzzk4q.jpg

OMG that was my second model!

:woohoo:

I built a few of them because I played with them. I had some epic battles. The props never lasted long on the shag carpet.

Kenny, you may have visited Fort Walton Beach while I was living there. I loved going to the beach... still do over there! I also enjoyed the USS Alabama a few times but never built a model of her.... interestingly enough.

My dad & I (mostly Dad) built a Tamiya 1/48 Kingfisher. They still make that model & I am thinking I may build that model in the next year or so

Back