• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

'Easy 8' * * D O N E * *

Kit - Tamiya.
Paint - Mig acrylics (OD Modulation set), Tamiya acrylics & enamels, Humbrol enamels.
Decals - Star 35-C-1048 M4A3E8's, 6th Armoured Division
Extras - Legend 'Fury' stowage, Verlinden M4 Stowage, various Tamiya, Historex & Italeri pieces.

M4A3E8 Sherman
68th Tank Bt. 6th Armd Div.
Near Leipzig, Germany.
May 1945

XvLYNlM.jpg

s5gmXtz.jpg

17SaYEH.jpg

D7oyHVu.jpg

6lnzMBu.jpg

dAD6YlY.jpg

UzBzzLx.jpg

w0QWJHh.jpg

d1RCUAa.jpg

PrYMUxQ.jpg

Started in September 2018 after a good friend realised he just wouldn't be able to 'do it justice', he also included the Legend resin stowage set - which is vast, I put it to one side in early 2019 to start another project and then lost the enthusiasm. So after spending most of last year on the 'Shelf of Forgetfulness' I brought it back to the bench in November, and have grabbed a few sessions here and there since then.

This was the first time I'd used Mig acrylics - the full OD modulation set, also included by my friend - not surprisingly I was VERY nervous about this entirely new (to me) way of painting an AFV, but by watching a number of excellent YT tutorials and having a new bottle of 'brave pills' to hand I simply tried it and... well I think I got lucky, first time out. After the decalling I simply weathered and faded the model in the usual way with a pin wash, overall washes, oil-dot filter and finally pigments (ughhhh). Used another 'new' product for the final matt coat - Migs' Ultra Matt 'Lucky' Varnish (A.Mig 2050). Really scary when I tested it on the underside, as it immediately went-on 'milky', but after ten mins it dried so matt, that light simply falls into it - nil reflectivity, bl**dy marvelous stuff but only apply in VERY light mist coats.

One of Tamiya's very best and an utter joy to build. Won't be to everyones' taste and definitely will upset some Shermaholics I'm sure. No matter please feel free to ask any questions, make any comments or pass-along any criticisms.

Best from NZ.

Ian.

Nice weathering Ian. The mast of the antennas would not be laid back like that, the spring on the upper half of the antenna mast would be to some extent but I wouldn't call it upsetting at all. Really dig the mud splattering and dusting. (y)

Outstanding Job! The weathering is really nice and the model looks like it is made out of cast metal, not plastic. Effect successful!

Cheers,
James

Excellent...Most Excellent!!! :dude

For as many "firsts" you really nailed it. Nothing like a fully loaded Sherman :ro:
:v

Hi Ian!

Oustanding job!...I´m really impressed with the weathering job and the painting job on the stowage :good:

Luiz.

Back