• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Eduard P-51D in 1/48

This is really cool! I would interject that resin vat type 3D print machines use resin, and rather than poured, it is built one layer at a time using UV light. With an 8K printer you have virtually no lines. But I am sure you know that, so I will keep my trap shut! (Note to self, Shut up smarty pants!) No, seriously, I know it is a little different, but arent 3D printed items from a resin printer considered "resin"? What's the difference? (Serious question...'cause I don't know. I will sit back and let the adults talk now)

Way over my pay grade Greg , not a clue but the Eduard website says these are resin and the F4f they do are 3D print so i guess there is a difference ?.

Way over my pay grade Greg , not a clue but the Eduard website says these are resin and the F4f they do are 3D print so i guess there is a difference ?.
I guess saying one is resin and the other is 3D printed is to differentiate the process. I find that reasonable. I "think" thay are similar (or the same, I am not sure how resin pouring is done), but to keep die-hard's panties from getting in a wad they call it different. Not important really. I bought some "resin'' parts that were almost certainly 3D printed, or at least the mold was made from one, since I noticed faint print lines. I didn't question it really, as the part was good quality and was resin IMO. I will say, that the landing gear bays for the F-16 I am building are flipping amazing and I don't think even the best 3D printer could print it. The seem almost surreal they are so detailed. Much like the engine you have made here. It is gorgeous!

_DSC7690.JPG

The tail wheel on these things is so dangerous they had to put it in a cage............ 🤣

Bit of a relief to get the wings on. Found the first tech issue in that the engine bulkhead fouls the wheel wells which means the sections of fuselage that protrude out the front at the side of the engine are a bit short. I maybe could have left them longer but i cut to the panel lines and test fitted in the fuselage before the wheel wells were fitted.
Oh well i cant see a way round this now and i doubt anyone would have really noticed..........except i just told everyone DOH...

_DSC7695.JPG

Well it turned black then silver

_DSC7701.JPG

_DSC7702.JPG

_DSC7704.JPG

_DSC7705.JPG

and it didnt look right at all. Way too dark so i gave it a dusting of a lighter silver and a flat coat

_DSC7706.JPG

It looks a bit better but i have encountered my first problem with MRP paints in that Whiye Aluminium/duralumin/Dark Aluminium and chrome all seem to be the same colour :) When i have finished this i will get my trusty 1/24 Harrier wing out (test piece) and spray all four shades and see the difference.

This model only has D-Day stripes on the fuselage and single black stripes on the wings which makes life a bit easier

_DSC7707.JPG

_DSC7708.JPG

_DSC7709.JPG

Well that could have gone horribly wrong ...but it didnt

I'm trying to mask off the cockpit without the canopy, why I don't know. Looks good, I got to follow suit. :pilot

Shame the postage would be silly but the Eduard kit has a couple of spare canopies with the frame all in one,

I finished this off over the weekend. All in all it went quite well. This is my First experience of Eduard and it was "OK"
Model kit 9/10
Resin 8/10
PE 5/10
Decals 3/10
The decals will need to be trimmed down as they have really excessive carrier film, on smaller decals the film is larger than the graphic on it. No real excuse for this as GWH have shown you can make decals where the edge of the graphic is the edge of the decal.
PE works for flat parts like instrument panels but why do the even bother to make pipes in PE ? Some parts to small to even pick up with tweezers in the gun bays.
Resin detail is excellent and fit of part, resin to resin is excellent. Some parts in this scale that are glued edge to edge are a bit optimistic.
The model OTB is very nice and in Profi form is really all you could ask for

_DSC7741.JPG

_DSC7740.JPG

_DSC7743.JPG

_DSC7744.JPG

_DSC7767.JPG

I would certainly have another go at this resin plastic combination and I'm sure i could do better next time with the experience i gained from this one.

Back