• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Here's A Question

What an interesting thread. Like Dave, I can't fathom throwing away any of my models, it would be like throwing away a pet or kid. I still have almost all of them.

Having completed 1568 models to date, I have long since run out of room on my wall-to-wall shelves, despite them being set at 8" apart from 18" off the floor to about 12" from the ceiling. A solution kinda fell into my lap the first time I took my entire armor collection to set out on display; I put them all in tubs, thus clearing some of the space on my shelves. There they still sit since I have no room on the shelves again, and I have a few more tubs to add all the additional armor models I complete. I still have some room on my ceiling for the larger aircraft I'm building so that isn't too bad an issue.... yet. After all, I still have that Antonov to hang! LOL!

Maybe someday God will bless me with a bigger house so I can add more storage and display space....

I have a spreadsheet with every model, decal sheet, and AM part I have and the original cost. I also use a program to keep track of my paints. All of this is stored in the cloud as well as a weekly backup. Call me a geek (You're a Geek) but I have moved too many times and found out long ago that insurance companies do not want to pay you the actual worth for any losses if they can avoid it.

I put several old completed (Awful) models in rubbermaid flat totes in the basement. Don had a bunch of built armor models in his garage and I sold several of them on eBay before they gave me the Big Finger. EBay and I won't be doing business for very much longer. Chuck, Don's and Greg's models in my home get stellar display. It is rare, given my creative brain (damage) that I complete anyone else's model kit, so far.

As tidy as your crawl space is, tote storage may be a dandy option!
I'm trying out Mercari as another shopping option.
I have decided to make a website for TLAR Models and Eggknobs and Inksticks (Teresa's incredible hand-made wooden creations) for our own use.

Yeah thanks Duke I forgot to mention the Plastic Containers have been the saving grace from the dust. Used up all of the display cabinets and now working with plastic containers.
There is a small chance the man cave will be moving to a bigger man cave with family moving in. :yipee:

Building and painting room.jpg
Wall of enthusiam.jpg

Building and Painting desks.jpg
Display and storage cabinet.jpg

M26 and Famo display storage cupboard.jpg

Interesting topic, for sure, in need of serious consideration. I built a huge curio cabinet for my builds, but my wife had commandeered the bottom half. Once I build her a nice cabinet her stuff will be out and I'll have more room. I don't think I'll have enough room for all my future builds, if I ever get them all done, but that's where the grand kids come in.

I could never, ever consider tossing a build, that's history to me.

I have zero room for built models. I am working on SWMBO to allow a model cabinet in her sewing room OR someplace on the main floor. *sigh* to have a room dedicated to modeling... I have a 7'10 X 9' room... I know, I am fortunate and this is a First World Problem.

When I lost interest in the hobby back when I was around 16 I sold everything I had at yard sales (built and unbuilt kits).

Hope to build some storage shelves out of glass and wood someday. Right now everything built is in a back storage room, though I like the idea of some plastic bins! (damn aircraft take up more room than a tank or car though).

:bigrin:

Here's an answer. Thanks to all who responded.

:Drinks:

Agreed. At least with models, you have something to show for all your work. You got nothing but a blank screen when you shut down the game.

Nice man cave Mike. I wish I had the space to do something like that. I am however, starting to go through everything in my room and see if I can't clear it up a bit now.

Back