• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ICM PT-17/N2S-3

Big10

My next project is ICM's 1/32nd Stearman. For it's scale, has a very bland cockpit and quite expensive for what you get in my opinion.

The engine lacks good detail and I feel they really missed the mark with it. Does anyone know of a good resin engine for the PT-17 in this scale?

IMG_20201223_115458797.jpg
IMG_20201223_115628927.jpg

You also have the Roden 1/32nd version, but I don't have that one so I can't compare the interiors.
Oops, didnt know about that one. I have an ICM Falco and Tiger Moth coming next. While a simple build I find it kind of fun not having over engineered kits to play with.
James

I looked at some of the reviews because I don't have the kit yet, and it looks to me like the interior is pretty complete. I used to fly a PT-17 and there isn't a lot there. Just like Jack Reacher, everything you need, and nothing you don't need.

I looked at some of the reviews because I don't have the kit yet, and it looks to me like the interior is pretty complete. I used to fly a PT-17 and there isn't a lot there. Just like Jack Reacher, everything you need, and nothing you don't need.
When I say bland I mean the controls and mixture throttle have no depth to them. I will build another one, but will probably add some Eduard stuff the interior next time. They had bad mold seam lines down the middle and not square so to speak. Mine looked like a blob of plastics.

IMG_20201223_191543777.jpg
IMG_20201223_191538392.jpg

Using Tamiya TS-47 Chrome Yellow decanted from the can. Problem with yellow as you know, takes multiple coats to build then you have to be careful with orange peel.

What you see is many coats followed by a lot of buffing with tamiya polishing compounds and the use of a buffing wheel on my multi tool. No gloss coat is used.
IMG_20201223_191844991.jpg

Learned a tip from my Vermont buddies...if you spray a coat of pink down first (yes pink), it helps tremendously with yellow...

Pink? OK...

Looking really good. I saw one of these in a "museum" that was identified as a T-6. I asked about it and the lady up front told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Even SWMBO can tell the difference between a monoplane and a bi-plane.

Thanks all, that yellow took a lot of work to look that way. It does have a nice sheen to it and will probably leave it that way.

Who likes early Christmas gifts, well I do, so here is a sneak peak and mock up.
IMG_20201224_203205511~2.jpg
IMG_20201224_203101113_HDR~2.jpg

No ones going to notice the throttle quadrant on this one, too much eye candy before they get there. Beautiful finish.

Back