• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The armor Updated May12, 2021.

Logistics, The armor

Good to see you back at the bench Bob (y) (y) (y)
And great that the models arrived safely to! can imagine the feeling open up the boxes to see if they were ok :pinch:

Logistics, The armor

I just had to announce this! Yesterday and today I actually started building my last two M4A3E8s. One, a Dragon kit, the other a Tasca. I plan on building those two while I begin final assembly and weathering the three that were painted a couple of years ago. Just thought I'd do armor for awhile to get back in the groove! It's been since August, 2015 since I touched an exact knife. Feels right somehow! :yipee Photo posts in a few days!

Bob

I find my interest really peaks and valleys much more now then when I was younger. 2 years doesn't seem too bad of a dry spell...

Logistics, The armor

Sweet glad to have you back at the bench :popcorn

Hey Dave, I have really missed this!

Bob

Good to see you back at the bench Bob (y) (y) (y)
And great that the models arrived safely to! can imagine the feeling open up the boxes to see if they were ok :pinch:

Thanks, well, you might say they arrived safely. I had to pit in about a month's work repairing, but they're all OK now!

Nothing was damaged beyond repair!

Bob

Logistics, The armor

Thanks Luiz!!

[quote="bob letterman" post=289917
I find my interest really peaks and valleys much more now then when I was younger. 2 years doesn't seem too bad of a dry spell...[/quote]

I've been modeling now for 71 years. I have noticed that most everybody I have known in the field were the same as you. I guess I'm just weird, but I never have had peaks and valleys. I never get tired of modeling. Sometimes I get tired of the same thing for long periods, but I just switch to other subjects and no intervals! The only other guy I know like that is Lewis Pruneau. We have that in common and he is the only other guy who builds very large dioramas as well. Maybe the two things are connected????? :idonno :idonno :idonno :idonno :idonno

Bob

Logistics, The armor

Well, I finally have some models to post!!!!!

Let me start by recapping what I have done so far, where I left off and what I am currently working on.

In the armor thread of Logistics, the last things I did was build, detail and base coat three Shermans with O.D. They have had plenty of time to harden, so, after I build and base coat these three new builds, I'll weather and finish the three that are base coated. I want to finish off all the Shermans first. I'll also stop somewhere in the process and paint the crews and tank riders. Altogether, I'll be using 35 tank riders, plus 30 crew members. 65 figures only for the tanks!

First, here are the two that are finished.

The M-32 B2 ARV with crew and the M4A3E2 Jumbo. All the tanks in the column will be from Combat Command "B", 4th Armored Division, commanded by Colonel Creighton Abrams. All have been upgraded with add-on armor cut from knocked out Panthers and welded hull Shermans. The directive issued in February, 1945 to upgrade the armor, also included upgrading the main guns to 76mm. The mantlet .30 cal to a .50 cal. machine gun. The turret mounted .50 cal. was moved to the rear of the loaders hatch and a .30 cal. mount was welded onto the commander's periscope cover. The only Shermans in the column not upgraded as directed was The ARV, The Jumbo, Which didn't require the armor upgrade, it was up gunned to 76mm and the machine guns reconfigured as well. One brand new M4A3E8 replacement just entering service will also as yet had the upgrade..

4shot~1.jpg

lftrear01.jpg

This is one I just finished building. The Tasca M4A3E8. Easy build, I really like the Tasca kits! Ready to base coat. I never completely assemble the kits until the weathering process. Just the way I have always done it.

00_zpslekptdek.jpg

Ready for the base coat.

ggg_zpsorg6vzy6.jpg

Here is the second one I just finished. It has a Dragon M4A3 hull, a Verlinden T-23 Turret, and a mish mash of parts from many kits that were salvaged from my parts boxes. The add on armor was made to specifications from white plastic stock. And all armament upgraded as well. Ready to paint!

0ggg_zpshxk1ise0.jpg

Here are the three built and painted previously, ready to be weathered and detailed. All complete with crew.

The Dragon M4A1, Operation Cobra kit, upgraded as per the directive.

g0_zpspw5lcifn.jpg

The Dragon M4A3E8 that included the upgraded armor and armaments.

g00_zps8hilfiwr.jpg

The Dragon M4A3E8, "Brigadier General Albin F. Irzyk", version. It would have been easy to just buy 8 copies of the Dragon Thunderbolt Seven kit, but, I wanted each tank in the column to be different, even the ones that were the same version. I will individualize them with gear, different crews, and little touches like names and so on. Different degrees of weathering and abuse as well.

g000_zps4qg7zqqp.jpg

And, finally, the last one to build. This is the Dragon M4A3E8 Thunderbolt Seven kit that I will make as Creighton Abram's Combat Command "B", command tank, Thunderbolt Seven. I have several photos of his tank and will try to replicate it as closely as I can.

ggggg_zpss9herdup.jpg

Got it started tonight!

0gg_zpsbplwzb8d.jpg

To be continued!

Logistics, The armor

The gap on the upgraded armor is interesting. Would have depleted the AP effect, must have worked.

Glad to see you posting again Dad :drinks

Logistics, The armor

Great stuff Bob-- I'll have to add a Tasca build at some point....I built their Kubelwagon a few years back but have always heard good things about their Shermans.

Logistics, The armor

B) :popcorn Good to see you back Master Bob!
Looking good on the up-armoured Sherman.

Ian.

Thanks Ian,

It's great to be back!

The gap on the upgraded armor is interesting. Would have depleted the AP effect, must have worked.

Glad to see you posting again Dad :drinks

Thanks son,

I've never read anywhere about the effectiveness of the upgrade, but as they were made from the glacis plates and side armor of Panthers and welded hull, (M4A3) Shermans, it seems to me they would have been effective against both armor piercing rounds and shaped charges from the panzerschrecks and panzerfausts. I'd think they would beat the hell out of sandbags and since the directive came from the Fourth Armored Division HQ, I imagine Patton had something to do with it. He despised sandbags!

Looking very good!...great modelling job! :good:

Luiz.

Thanks Luiz!

Bob

Logistics, The armor

Great stuff Bob-- I'll have to add a Tasca build at some point....I built their Kubelwagon a few years back but have always heard good things about their Shermans.

Thanks Jeeves!

My first Tasca was their early M4, that I used to build the M-32 B2 armored recovery vehicle. I was impressed with it and while I was gathering M4A3E8s for this column, I saw the Tasca version and popped it into the shopping cart as well!

Bob

Oh yes looking forward to more

Thanks Dave,

Me too! :cheer: I forgot how much fun this is!

Bob

Gotta love all those Shermans!

(y)

Thanks Terry,

Shermans may not be as sleek as their German counterparts, but are probably my favorite WW II tank, although the Porsche Turret Tiger and the Panthers are truly things of beauty!

Bob

Logistics, The armor

Thanks for the treat Bob :D :notworthy

I never built a Sherman, the closest I got is an ARV, the Italeri kit with lots of goodies on it.

One day I will give it a go and sure will use your work as reference, but current project comes first :D

Good to see you are back at the bench, keep the magic going (y) (y) (y)

Laurence

Logistics, The armor

Thanks for the treat Bob :D :notworthy

I never built a Sherman, the closest I got is an ARV, the Italeri kit with lots of goodies on it.

One day I will give it a go and sure will use your work as reference, but current project comes first :D

Good to see you are back at the bench, keep the magic going (y) (y) (y)

Laurence

Thanks Laurence!

The M-32 ARV Shermans are more difficult to build than a standard Sherman anyway, so you won't have any problems!

It's interesting being back at the bench. I thought it would take me awhile to get back in the groove, but it's like I never left!

Bob

Back