• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M-41 "Museum Quality"

B

bwiber

page_1_20100713_1713718236.jpg

page_2_20100713_1940014889.jpg

page_3_20100713_1520717784.jpg

Hi all,

I used to work as a volunteer at an air museum so I got to notice the quality of the exhibits. Mind you some of them had to be exceptional as many of the aircraft were flight worthy and were indeed flown (watching a Zero and a P-40 do a fly over is heart stopping.)

However, many other things were not to that quality, such is the case in many armor museums. While I understand the funding issues, parts issues and finding qualified people it is still heart breaking. So, when I hear some beautiful model called "Museum Quality" I just have to shake my head.

The M-41 kit was picked up for another project that never got off the ground and so is perfect for this application. This will allow me to do thinks to the kit that you normally wouldn't do and so learn more of the hobby we enjoy. Any comments and input is welcomed.

Finally, I will make a confession.... I am in a way using this forum for my own ends. I am a fairly slow builder, I tend to shift projects a lot and I hate to paint (that should send chills down some of your backs :evil: ) so I am hoping that having this project out in the open will encourage me to complete it. So, thanks for the incentive....

Bob

I like this a lot, old school modeling... a volunteer at an air museum, an armor modeler...
What's not to like?

Regards,

Actually, working at the museum was a lot of fun. Some very knowledgeable people (ex-military/NASA/airline), lots of stories at lunch and while they smart enough to not let me work on anything that would fly I did help move aircraft.

But it was the tank that did it for me.... real heavy stuff, and some surprisingly delicate things also.

Bob

old school is still some of the best kits thats where most of us learned .....if you can do one of them justice then youre doing something......... love the weld seam across the bottom

Just a small update....

phase_2_1_20100716_1321465743.jpg

phase_2_2_20100716_1016745488.jpg

Moving ahead slowly.... mostly just doing the normal stuff for a kit of this era, filling in the slots over the final drives for the "motorized sprockets". Also removed the block that was the pivot assembly for the barrel lock. The fenders had to be reshaped and thinned for that thin sheet metal appearance.

On top of my being a fairly slow builder.... our town will be over run this weekend. We are on the route of the Seattle-to-Portland Bike Race (STP). Somewhere around 10,000 cyclists will be going through here, as opposed to our normal population of under 700. Will be a busy weekend.... :blink

Later, Bob

Bob,

Interesting idea. You are a brave man tackling such an antique. Maybe your should've left it in the box, it belongs to a museum already :laugh:

Hey maybe a cool addition is some civilians looking at the tank.

dave

Dave,

I hadn't gotten that far in the planning.... might be interesting to have a couple.... him on top with a camera shooting details, and her standing there bored and counting the shoes that this little museum trip is going to cost him!!! :lol:

To be honest I don't know if I am brave or just brain dead.... but being retired I figure that I need to start on the backlog..... Actually, I have seen a lot newer kits that I would trash before this one... although if I really knew much about the vehicle it might be different.

Bob

Re:M-41

bwiber wrote:
...our town will be over run this weekend. We are on the route of the Seattle-to-Portland Bike Race (STP). Somewhere around 10,000 cyclists will be going through here, as opposed to our normal population of under 700.

Bob, you may be outnumbered but running spears (even pointed sticks) through the bicycle spokes will drop them like flies... the old Domino effect. On the ground, bicyclists can't put up a fight.

Wait... they probably bring in revenue (fancy talk for Hobby Funds) so... set up a refreshment stand on the side of the road and SELL, SELL, SELL!

Keep plugging away at the kit, looks good so far and I am sure that no one will know how old the kit was once completed.

Regards,

They get a bit testy when you do that to a bike that costs several thousand dollars... and we are greatly out numbered!!! :huh:

Actually, I will be spending the weekend at one of the rest stops on the route.... raising money for our local Lions Club.

And I plan on plugging away at the kit.... of course, it might be a LOT older when I finally get done with it.... :blush:

Bob

Back