• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M10 #1 * * FINISHED * *

M10 #1

Last couple of photos before final assemble and pigments (ughhhh :java )
The oil-dot filter is done and a couple of 'tarps' added - these still need to be dry-brushed and a light oil wash.

ha2b6bd8.jpg

he165044.jpg

h51b6f8d.jpg

h9db3e1d.jpg

hbcc9b62.jpg

Spent almost two hours yesterday evening assembling the outstanding .50 cal and it's cradle. IIRC at one point Academy had this as a separate kit and if I could find another one (or four) I'd buy it / them without hesitation. Not sure that I've ever seen such a detailed 'extra' made from plastic as opposed to resin, turned aluminium or etch.

Not putting any stowage as such on this project - I will do on the next M10 & Achilles projects, this one is going to be as it was just prior to entering Paris in August '44. Thanks for all the comments and feedback up 'til now, as ever very much appreciated.

Will post some new photo's of my M-106 a little later if anyone is interested. In the meantime have a great weekend folks and all the best from New Zealand where the summer is going on-and-on-and-on...

Ian. :soldier

M10 #1

Kit - Academy 13288 (2014 reissue)
Paint - Mig acrylic OD modulation set, Tamiya acrylics.
Decals - Kit (Designed by DEF Models, printed by Cartograph)
Extras - DEF Model mantlet & barrel, Italeri, Tamiya & Masterbox accessories.

M10 GMC
Régiment Blindé de Fusiliers-Marins,
French 2nd Armd Div.
Outside Paris, August 1944.

EKhi8jI.jpg

B64T9un.jpg

PITW8ye.jpg

J3b6aek.jpg

TAIX396.jpg

poIPfj3.jpg

rrue8gQ.jpg

Nq5nEZR.jpg

JnpdXGz.jpg

rIvIv5F.jpg

70R99Ay.jpg

vuspr2L.jpg

...and with it's 'brother in arms' the Tamiya M4A3E8.

55ZFA28.jpg

It's hard to explain, the M10 is just one of those subjects that has a very definite appeal to me, but I would never commit to building one until recently because I knew my 'skills' (such as they are), would never come close to building what I saw in my head. It's only in the last two or three years that my AFV 'skills' have started to coalesce, so in 2018 I took a deep-breath, bought the kit and then left it alone... still nervous of it y'see.

Started work finally on it just before Christmas and have been grabbing a few sessions here and there for the last eight weeks or so. The Academy kit is NOT a straightforward build, a lot of planning is needed especially in the early stages where building-up, masking and painting the interior sub-assemblies has to be done in such a way as to minimise re-painting and re-masking over and over again. The fit of the turret halves was a nightmare as they seemed to be entirely different sizes, but with some good super-glue, some pulling and twisting and a fair chunk of swearing it did work-out. The kit-supplied gun-barrel is terrible and best consigned to the bin in my opinion - the kit-specific barrel & mantlet set from DEF Model is a massive improvement and highly recommended.

I decided before I began that the finished model would have very little in the way of stowage as historically the RBFM vehicles that took part in the Paris Liberation skirmishes drove only short distances from their lager areas, fought then retreated for the evening to start all over again the following day !. Also I recently finished an Easy 8 in 'road march' configuration and fancied something a little more 'minimalist'.

As ever thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment, please feel free to ask any questions or suggest any improvements. Next for me is a Eurofighter and then an M41 Walker Bulldog, both for GB's elsewhere on t'interweb.

Have a great weekend, folks, best from NZ.

Ian.

I LIKE IT!! :good:
Your style is distinctive and that's one of the things like about it. A suggestion if I may...Make sure you glue the bogie swing arms into position when using rubber band tracks so that they sit flat on the ground...But I sure you already noticed that. :coolio

Here are my "Go To" tracks for Sherman based projects...Panda Plastics Thay are nicely detailed and easy to assemble.

Looking forward to the other upcoming M10s
:v

Back