• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My scratch built tank

Ruben Lopez

Hello fellow modelers. I needed a rest from the regular modeling so I decided to embark in some scratch building just for the fun of it. And what more fun than building a tank? So taking hold of my stash of Plastruct pieces I proceeded. Here are some photos of the process and the almost completed result. Hope you enjoy it!

First the hull...it is composed of .5mm plastic sheets and some square and round tubing. The hatch is from a Sherman.
P1020132.jpg

Then I heat formed a sheet of plastic to a tubular shape to make the engine compartment. The rearmost piece is a resin copy of the hatch of Darth Vader's Tie Fighter. I also did the walls of the hull at this time.

P1020139.jpg

the front end.
P1020140.jpg

Checking the size.
P1020141.jpg

Then it was time for the running gear but instead of wheels this one got legs. Here is the basic assembly.
P1020145.jpg

Checking the overall view. Also the legs have their hydraulics in place but not glued yet. (In fact, I'm not going to glue them as I want the legs to be fully posable.)
P1020148.jpg

Next I did the gun emplacement. This will be an internal gun so I made the bolt heads to represent the access plates to service and change it.
P1020151.jpg

I also added the support for the engine shields.
P1020152.jpg

Then I started adding details to the hull. The lights and light guards are from an old M41 that I never did and the rest from a Sherman.
P1020158.jpg

The rear also received it share of details. Most notably the exhausts.
P1020159.jpg

Here's an overall view.
P1020160.jpg

Here withb shields in place. (They are not glued just held in place with tape.)
P1020161.jpg

P1020162.jpg

These are the main components of the legs. They will be held in place using plastic rod which will be held in place with plastic nuts cut from hexagonal rod.
P1020165.jpg

The assembled leg.
P1020166.jpg

And here is how it stands at the moment with everything in place. The legs received some shields, the hull tools and a caliber 50 in the roof to shoot down those flying thingies that come to bother you in combat. I also added a caliber 30 to the front of the hull to encourage the enemy infantry to step out of the way. The hull and shield received a coat of Mr Surfacer to give them the texture of cast armor.
P1020171.jpg

P1020172.jpg

P1020173.jpg

P1020174.jpg

And the classic bird's eye view
P1020176.jpg

Here's a close up of the tools. I made the straps form lead foil and wire.
P1020175.jpg

There are still some details to add but its almost there!
Thank for viewing.

Ruben

Really cool so far (plus you saved a bundle on the KV-2 walker yet had fun - well, it looks like you're having fun!).

Saludos,

Fantastic stuff, Rueben! As a great modeler once said, "Anybody can make one." Getting all the legs to match so nicely is quite enviable.

Cheers!
chuk

Wow. Looks amazing.

and just because "Bolt Counters" make me laugh, the bolts around the front plate are not correct. There were 9 bolts on each side of the real one, I only count 8. LOL

Thanks Chuck and Rob.

Chuck, as soon as you build the first leg you only have to repeat and repeat and...well, you got the idea.

Here's the next update of the build.

I needed to glue the legs in position but to do so I needed the base for it so I started to build one. Nothing complicated; just some terrain, dragon teeth, vegetation and some barbed wire to show why it's advantageous to have legs instead of tracks. And here's the result.
P1020283.jpg

P1020284.jpg

P1020285.jpg

Then, as soon as the legs were fixed in position, the primer.
P1020286.jpg

P1020288.jpg

Followed by the paint. I used Tamiya Olive Drab for the first coat and Olive Drab plus Dark Yellow for the second one to give some tonal variation.
P1020294.jpg

P1020295.jpg

P1020296.jpg

Next the camouflage.
See you soon,
Ruben

Looks great Ruben!! You guys have inspired me to make one of my own. Still working on the design, but hope post pictures soon.

Terry B)

Agentg, Yago, Terry, thanks for your comments. :cheer:

MrT wrote:
Looks great Ruben!! You guys have inspired me to make one of my own. Still working on the design, but hope post pictures soon.

Terry B)

Hey Terry, good to see you motivated! If you need help don't hesitate to ask.

But let me show you how does it looks now that it has camo.
P1020297.jpg

P1020298.jpg

P1020299.jpg

P1020300.jpg

P1020301.jpg

Now I'm going to let the paint cure before the decals, emblems and weathering begins.

See you soon and thanks for watching
Ruben

Hi Ruben.

That looks hot. If I didn't have so many other things going right now, I would be in the same spot as Mr T. That is wanting to do one of these myself. Yours looks so cool, and the ground work on the dio looks great too.

Gary B)

Ruben,

Fantastic work you got here! Great scratchbuilding work, can´t wait to see it finished!
Keep on the good work
Cheers,

Juliano

Back