• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"PILOTS AND THEIR PLANES" CAMPAIGN

I am in.
I have lot of old MicroScale decal sheets of aces.
Working on on now.
I can do another, the monogram P-51B/C's are easy to build.
Frank
(y)

I'll get this fired up when I get back off the road. :pilot

Great to hear... my only problem with this Campaign is what to choose... so many kits and hundreds of decal options, and only a tiny percentage of those are 'anonymous'.

Still like the Israeli Mirage III idea but I've not built a P-47 or P-51 for a couple of years....

:frantic

Ian

I might even be able to jump in on this. I'll have to check my stash.

BTW, someone did Sully's plane already at the Nationals in Phoenix:

2018_IPMS_USA0133.jpg

I thought it was quite interesting...

Okay. I'm off to my stash...

While the Hudson isn't all that clean, I sincerely doubt that it is brown like oatmeal. More likely a green color. That and this guy really must not have read up on it as I don't think many of the folks from the plane ended up in the drink swimming.

Had a run through the stash and found two very do-able candidates:

Capt. Freddie Ohr's P-51D (possibly / probably the only Korean fighter pilot to serve with the USAAF in WWII).

h48469eb.jpg

he8b8329.jpg

hf25d753.jpg

And Col. Clay Tice's P-47D Elsie / Lil' Butch (Tice was the first American to land on Japanese home soil when he developed engine trouble in his P-38 and landed, repaired and took-off again on the 25th August 1945... a full three days before MacArthur and his entourage rocked-up !!).

h201f0fa.jpg

he4f9716.jpg

h79a016b.jpg

Both will be Tamiya kits, both will have some etch and / or resin. 'Marie' will be wearing Superscale decals whilst 'Elsie' will be dressed in Aeromaster 'stickers'.

Should be great fun, looking forward to this one. :yipee

Ian.

Joining my esteemed colleagues in stash diving, I found a Blenheim IV.

h6760f30.jpg

The subject of choice will be in the markings of 107 Sqn, aircraft OK-M, serial N6240 based at RAF Wattisham, Suffolk.

Sgt Albert S. Prince, Pilot

h6c78e40.png

Sgt George F Booth, Navigator/Observer
AC1 Larry J. Slattery, Wireless Op/ Air Gunner

The pilot and his crew weren't aces or highly decorated. They were average aircrew ordered on the first bombing raid of the war against the Wilhelmshaven Naval Base on 04 Sep 1939. Their aircraft was one of four 107 Sqn aircraft (the fifth returned to base without reaching the target) shot down and they were rescued by the Germans. The crews of the other three aircraft died in their crashes.

Sgt Prince died of his injuries in a Navy Hospital becoming the first Canadian combat casualty of the war and the first of nearly 10,000 Canadians to die while serving with Bomber Command.

Sgt Booth (broken foot) and AC1 Slattery (broken jaw) both survived their injuries and were the first RAF PoW's of the war, spending the next six years as guests of the Third Reich.

Cheers,
Rich

Looks like an excellent choice. Nice seeing something being built for someone who isn't a full-blown, well-known ace. I commend you on your choice.

I did the stash dive too and came up with this.

hd08f8f6.jpg

Four different suitable options in the kit decals but would like to research the pilots a bit before I choose.

One of my favorite books as a flea was Saburo Sakai's "Samurai". So I will build the A6M2 Type 21 Zero he flew and was injured in while flying with the Tainan Fighter Group. Tamiya, 1/48.

0014a6m.jpg

Well, I ran into a wait time on my B-26 so I started on the Zero....then I read through this whole thread and no one has set a start date. If I started too soon I'll have to pick a new victim. Not to worry, there are plenty of choices.

Sooooo, :skipper

I'll get this up and running ASAP.

Guess I'm in with Manfred and his Albatros. :pilot

Gotta go truck shopping today, sadly the ol' GMC is just costing too much to maintain

Given the long timescale for this campaign and the fact that I'm really enjoying the Mustang build, think I'll do a third one... not sure which but one of these three:

h7cee7a4.jpg

Got all sorts of extras for each one, so...

Ian.

What's the end date on this one? Was cleaning up the model room today and came across something I may want to enter, and frankly Ian's prize sure makes it enticing! LOL

But I am committed to the Tiran as well....

We are consider with John a family participation in the project with "deadly twins": both were the aces of the Polish Air Force delegated to serve in the 56th Fighter Group.

John choice:

Capt. Bolesław "Killer Mike" Gładych

bolesaw-gadych-42466648-4a38-48f4-a44f-1453a8805c3-resize-750.jpg

picture_17abdc38db152cb8a7e1945d76c57620.jpg

My choice:

Capt. Witold "Lany" Łanowski

witold%20lanowski001.jpg

P-47M-421108-PF.jpg

or the most famous Polish pilot in the USAF service:

Col. Franciszek "Gabby" Gabryszewski

francis-gabby-gabreski-signed-photo-65465.jpg

3_27_b2.jpg