• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

PT-17/N2S-3 Stearman 1/48th scale by Revell

centaur567

100_8136.JPG
6430.jpg
100_8147.JPG
100_8148.JPG
100_8149.JPG
100_8151.JPG
100_8152.JPG
100_8154.JPG

Revell has really stepped up their game on this one. I bought the kit on clearance from Hobby Lobby a few years ago for $10.79. What a deal. A few months ago Ollies had them for $12.99. The fit is near perfect with only a small amount of Crazy glue on the underside fuselage. Included in the pics is the real aircraft that I'm inspired by. It's the plane used in the TV series of JAG. I love the black and yellow checkered tail. I read on a blog somewhere that if the red dot is used on the star, then as a rule of thumb, the interior frame and stringers should be silver lacquer. A silver sharpie works well for this. I painted the inside off white first. The engine is very detailed including the rear part. As you can see, I have 2 other models to finish also. Fun .fun, fun. I used Blossom white by Rustoleum spray can as a base for the yellow. Gary S.

Looking good, Gary. I used to fly a Stearman in Army colors, it's one of my favorites. I built this kit a few years ago and have at least one more of them.

20231024_203335.jpg
20231024_203659.jpg
20231024_203732.jpg
20231025_184804.jpg
20231025_184851.jpg

Added spark plug wires and installed the engine and accessories. Made the left engine panel removable and installed the wheels. Started decals and some rigging. The checkerboard and white numbers are from the spares box. Making do with what I have. Gary S.

Nice!
You might want to do something about that position light, it looks like a modern strobe unit.

Thanks Bob! The smaller wire is from left over fan light wire with the insulation striped off. It's going to be used on the tail also. The larger wire I think came from a Dragon kit.

Also, Thanks John! I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about the lights, but your right, I have to do something. Gary S.

Removing it might be an option. The one I flew didn't have any. WW II Stearmans had no electrical systems. They used a hand cranked inertial starter.

Thanks John, I'll check my vintage photos. Gary S. BTW I'be never flown in a tail dragger. How hard are they to land?

Removing it might be an option. The one I flew didn't have any. WW II Stearmans had no electrical systems. They used a hand cranked inertial starter.
Back in the mid 70's when I was at Oklahoma State U, I was in Aeronautical Technology. The first part was all practical where we actually went out to the airport in Stillwater to a hanger out there and worked on some slightly defunct aircraft.
I remember a radial engine that had cutaways in it where you could see the pistons, valves, into the crankcase, etc. It wasn't locked down or anything and all the internal parts could move. We knew this as it had the inertial starter still on it. Yeah we discovered this and cranked that puppy up as fast as we could make it whine. Then flipped the engage and stood back while all the internals flew around doing their thing. None of us were stupid enough to stand close to the thing while it was spinning and pumping.

Thanks John, I'll check my vintage photos. Gary S. BTW I'be never flown in a tail dragger. How hard are they to land?
Like most things in flying, the answer is "It depends", Gary. Most people who learn in nosewheelers don't develop the instinctive use of their feet, which someone who starts in a tail dragger is more likely to do. If your foot doesn't move before your brain sees the need you are halfway to a groundloop. Also, learning with the conventional gear setup develops a finer sense of what straight ahead is. In many cases the lack of forward visibility develops the sense of straight ahead while using peripheral vision. I have taught people with no previous tailwheel experience in Cubs and other light taildragers. The Stearman has a powerful rudder but little feel because there is a large aerodynamic counterbalance, so it takes a very light touch. It has a narrow gear mounted well forward which isn't very forgiving of sloppy rudder use, but on the other hand it is an easy airplane to handle in crosswinds because of the powerful rudder and little dihedral in the wings. The T-6 and the Cessna 180/185 are easy to get in trouble with and require more skill than the other taildraggers I have experience with. On the other hand the Globe Swift is easy to handle with its wide main gear. I haven't taken off or landed a Mustang, but I have flown one in the air and my sense is it is much easier than the T-6 so long as you handle the power right. If you don't it's a lot like flying a twin engine airplane with an engine failure.

100_8209.JPG
100_8210.JPG
100_8211.JPG
100_8212.JPG
100_8213.JPG
100_8214.JPG
100_8215.JPG
100_8216.JPG

Thanks John, I guess I'll stay out of tail draggers.
I'm calling this done and aside from the rigging what a pleasure to build. One of my new favorites. I didn't have enough of the stiff wire to finish the dual outer of the upper wing wires. So I used fishing line coated with silver sharpie and it came out fine. For a while there I thought I'd have to sit at the boy's table. Oh wait I still have to rig the Se5a. Deba deba deba, that's all folks. Gary S.

Well done, Gary.
I didn't mean to scare you away from taildraggers, they can be a lot of fun and will make you more secure in nosedraggers. Go find a Cub or an Aeronca Champ with a gray haired instructor and you will be fine.

Back