• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Rodent

Thanks for the comments fellas, much appreciated. Duke, hang in there buddy. (y)

Well I have installed the lower cabin panels, made from what else? Beverage can, of course. :D I'd like to leave them that way, but I'm not calling the shots, Rich is. On a working airplane they became scuffed and dented in a very short time, so most companies left them unpainted anyway.
002_zpsehhdemmk.jpg

001_zpsob1a126w.jpg

003_zps4yglwp30.jpg

001_zpsdcnmp6gd.jpg

002_zpsz8i00p86.jpg

The cabin headliner will be next.

Damn, all I can say is Damn that's a great looking piece of Art in the making.
Frank
:notworthy :notworthy

Thanks for the kind comments fellas, much appreciated.

Well, I decided to forget the headliner for now and concentrate on the seats. I have the cockpit pretty well finished. There are three more individual seats plus the hammock type bush seat in the back to be done. I cobbled together a control column and yoke from various bits of scrap wire...
001_zpsdgojfvfq.jpg

...A dab of glue to represent the rubber boot over the throwover pivot and a lick of paint, Viola! one control column.
002_zpsdbmhxy7x.jpg

The pilot seat is mounted on a kind of box that contains the flap pump. I cut a bit of cedar shim to size and covered it with scrap aluminum, Then added bits of wire for the flap handle, the flap selector, the hydraulic reservoir cap and the little crank at the front that you turn to move the seat back and forth. (The pilot's seat moves forward and up, down and back. Only.)
003_zps9f68tvar.jpg

I used the kit seat, but sanded off a lot of excess plastic to give it the correct thickness, then painted it MM buffing aluminum plate. The cushions are a tiny slice of styrofoam insulation, painted the appropriate colour, and the belts and buckles are homemade from masking tape and beverage can.
005_zpshcdg3m5b.jpg

006_zpshpuj0ucu.jpg

Dry fitted in place...
008_zpsnqsr82qm.jpg

010_zpsa0vmfjws.jpg

A fire extinguisher was constructed using the patent pending toothpick-in-a-Black & Decker method with a bit of flattened wire as a handle and a tiny bit of chukw tape as a data plate...
001_zpsxnigueuy.jpg

...Then glued in place on the cockpit floor below the pilot seat.
003_zpsz8z2nonn.jpg

004_zpsac13sl0b.jpg

Of course we need an ashtray, back then many pilots smoked like chimneys. There is none in the kit, so I made one from a bit of aluminum wire, painted a nice Coke red, and glued in place on the column.
006_zpsc4rwob1u.jpg

That's it for now, I shall finish the seats then do the headliner.

Thanks for the kind comments fellas, much appreciated.

Well, I decided to forget the headliner for now and concentrate on the seats. I have the cockpit pretty well finished. There are three more individual seats plus the hammock type bush seat in the back to be done. I cobbled together a control column and yoke from various bits of scrap wire...
001_zpsdgojfvfq.jpg

...A dab of glue to represent the rubber boot over the throwover pivot and a lick of paint, Viola! one control column.
002_zpsdbmhxy7x.jpg

The pilot seat is mounted on a kind of box that contains the flap pump. I cut a bit of cedar shim to size and covered it with scrap aluminum, Then added bits of wire for the flap handle, the flap selector, the hydraulic reservoir cap and the little crank at the front that you turn to move the seat back and forth. (The pilot's seat moves forward and up, down and back. Only.)
003_zps9f68tvar.jpg

I used the kit seat, but sanded off a lot of excess plastic to give it the correct thickness, then painted it MM buffing aluminum plate. The cushions are a tiny slice of styrofoam insulation, painted the appropriate colour, and the belts and buckles are homemade from masking tape and beverage can.
005_zpshcdg3m5b.jpg

006_zpshpuj0ucu.jpg

Dry fitted in place...
008_zpsnqsr82qm.jpg

010_zpsa0vmfjws.jpg

A fire extinguisher was constructed using the patent pending toothpick-in-a-Black & Decker method with a bit of flattened wire as a handle and a tiny bit of chukw tape as a data plate...
001_zpsxnigueuy.jpg

...Then glued in place on the cockpit floor below the pilot seat.
003_zpsz8z2nonn.jpg

004_zpsac13sl0b.jpg

Of course we need an ashtray, back then many pilots smoked like chimneys. There is none in the kit, so I made one from a bit of aluminum wire, painted a nice Coke red, and glued in place on the column.
006_zpsc4rwob1u.jpg

That's it for now, I shall finish the seats then do the headliner.

Inspiring. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Thanks fellas. (y)

Let there be seats! This was an ex military aircraft so the pax seats were designed to mil spec which means they had to be able to accommodate a parachute pack, and they were also attached to the floor differently. I used the kit seats with a great amount of material shaved off, otherwise they'd look like concrete park benches. The kit supplies two crew seats and that's it. Any pax would have to be tied to the floor, I guess. I had a few seats in the scrap box, so I put them to good use. Here are the kit instructions on how to install 'em. Merely somebody else's opinion, I say.
004_zpss0v910gz.jpg

I cut off the rear posts, turned the legs upside down and added a bit of wire as a pin to hold the suckers more securely to the floor.
001_zpsnbrdfub5.jpg

I cut a slot in the back support to accept the seat belt...
002_zpsztvwdfb7.jpg

...Added a pocket on the seat back for the sick sack and life preserver...
003_zpsebxmdnwq.jpg

...Made some seat belts and buckles from masking tape and beer...err..beverage can...
007_zps1dkw9khh.jpg

...Two little rounds of scrap metal on that aforementioned pin to represent the quick release plates...
008_zpsdvsgsnua.jpg

...A skinny slice of painted styrofoam to represent a seat cushion, and there ya have it, seat on a stick.
009_zps0aydmg3h.jpg

Three seats down, one rear bush seat to go.
011_zps6hgrwdbq.jpg

013_zpsxgsbr53o.jpg

014_zpsey3kglav.jpg

The rear seat in the Beaver, before the advent of the Alaska Door mod, was a hammock type sling across the rear of the cabin that accommodated three people. It was supported by a lower bar across the width of the cabin, just behind the cabin door, and a second rod that was attached to the top of the rear cabin bulkhead. I drilled a hole in the cabin wall the same diameter as the bar, then added a bit of scrap for added support. The round thingy you see slightly above and aft of the hole was a cover for where the ash tray used to be.*
001_zpskmw8gmve.jpg

The bar is from a bit of 20-ga aluminum wire...
002_zpsp1cmtopx.jpg

...Dry fitted in place.
004_zpsaotn4l20.jpg

While I was back there I made a cover for the compartment that holds the aircraft emergency kit - engine tent, pilot sleeping bag, funnel - and all the other goodies required to save your precious bacon in the bush. It was held shut with Dzus fasteners, which I painstakingly reproduced, and will unfortunately be rendered invisible by the bush seat. We'll know they're there though, won't we? :D
007_zpsvmytsab3.jpg

* I seem to hear various mutterings "Ash tray cover my ash, he just used that little round to cover the fact he drilled the hole in the wrong place." Dang! Can't fool you guys. :D

One quick clarification. The cabin floor is brown because it was made from some kind of brown composite material. I divided the floor into panels - as per the real thing - and used Tamiya Linoleum Brown brushed directly to the metal, with a couple of coats of Future to seal it. There was sometimes an opening in the rear panel to a camera hatch in the aircraft belly. I must check with the boss. The camera hatch served a purpose other than for a camera. We sometimes dropped the first class mail out the hatch if landing conditions precluded a landing in some location or other, and one year we seeded a lake with fingerling trout from a tank in the cabin and a chute out the camera hatch. Fun times.

Sounds a lot like that freight line I worked for one summer . Whatever got it done .

Nice work (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

'Boat, this is some sensational work man! I an overwhelmed. I love hearing the stories of your experiences and adventures with these planes you are building.

Thank you all for the kind comments, fellas. Much appreciated.

I have the rear seat and seat belts made and here is the motley collection of parts to prove it.
004_zpsyikels93.jpg

The hammock seat across the rear has space for three people, four if they're little and one doesn't mind riding without a seat belt. :D
There's a single belt on either side, with two double belts that make up the three places. The belts were made from masking tape with the buckles from beverage can.
010_zpsjdaa7fzv.jpg

They are attached to the floor via a tie down and a short length of cable. To make the tie down I squeezed a short length of wire with a pair of pliers and drilled a hole in the squoze part and firkytoodled it to shape.
005_zpsts5aye8b.jpg

Then attached a bit of wire to the end of the belt itself...
013_zpsomnp1tjp.jpg

...And attached the wire to the hole in my tie down. One down, three to go.
014_zpswydmpcly.jpg

The hammock seat I made from a couple of folds of Kim Wipe, cut to size, painted a pleasing shade of grey, with two holes for the center seat belts to pass through, and with that pole from the preceding post glued to the lower end.
009_zps03qgmerz.jpg

The top end of the seat hung from the rear bulkhead, near the cabin roof. I cut three holes in the top of seat...
008_zpsiq89zudo.jpg

...That corresponds to the three 'hooks' on the rear bulkhead.
006_zpso6mz0j56.jpg

The tie downs will be fixed in these four holes in the floor.
011_zpsr39dzxpa.jpg

I had on hand a paper template of the cabin headliner, so it was a simple matter to cut out a copy.
015_zpsd3kgnvjc.jpg

Before gluing it in place, it behooves one to make some supports for it. A few bits of wood, sanded to shape and glued in place, will do nicely.
019_zpsiq9usy4a.jpg

Minus the paint, here is what it looks like glued in place and trimmed to fit.
020_zps8bqok0s3.jpg

Add a lick of paint and dry fit the seat, and there she be.
021_zps4qcoyo3k.jpg

I have the interior nearly completed, actually. I made six little cargo tie down rings from scrap wire, and a UV instrument spotlight. Right now I'm in the process of forming the windshield halves, using a wooden jiglet and some kind of clear acrylic material. This involves heat, supplied by the kitchen stove. It can also lead to an outburst of "What are you doing up there, I smell burning plastic" from Her Indoors, when the heat is a little too high. I have to make the rudder and elevator trim console for the cockpit roof, and that'll be about it. Then on to the final assembly.

Back