• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Simpatico, A Miniature Mansion for my daughter

Re:Something really different Update June 17, 2010

Hey Junior,

I am a lawyer! I have had a Juris Doctorate since 1987, just never practiced law. Prosecutors earn poverty wages, I don't like corporate law and I could never bring myself to represent scumbags, so........ There is no copyright on a house, If you make a real copy of a 1 to 1 scale, maybe, but very doubtful. It's done all the time with builders.

When I was a cop in Springfield, that was in 1965. Those guys are all dead!, Well, most of them, anyway, if not, they are all retired, so no dice there!

Really, I am not concerned. If I was going to produce kits of this mansion, well, maybe a problem. I don't think they would want to bring a suit against an elderly man, using their house as a model to make a miniature birthday gift for his daughter.

If they did, I'll use "W"s statement, "Bring it on"! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bob

Dude, It's for your sis!

Re:Something really different Update June 17, 2010

Get it printed and someone leave a copy of the magazine in their mailbox! :)

you may get commissioned to build another! Or worse, the hospital they head.

Have fun building it. That is all that matters.

Regards,

Re:Something really different Update June 19, 2010

What a gorgeous house, and THE perfect gift for Gail. She will love it. The stonework on this house is really different than anything I've ever seen, but if anyone can do it justice, you will. Although I have seen at least 100 individual buildings that you have built throughout the years, it still amazes me that they start out as good old cardboard.
You know, come to think of it....you could take a popcicle stick, and paint it Camouflage Grey, and Gail would love it, because it came from her "Poppy".

At this stage, the house is really coming together...beautiful work, Bob.

Wes

Hey Saul,

Well, that's one way to do it!

Laura,

Thanks Buddy! I appreciate that coming from you!

Wes,

Thanks from another of my buddies! After it comes along a little more, you can come out and critique it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bob

Gday Bob
Wow. That is something else! (Well not really. But you know what I mean :blink :laugh: )
This should be a beaut insight into the construction methods you have undertaken over the years, if one is to assume that the method is unchanged, right?
I have built a couple of smaller houses, and it amazed me even on those the impact and change the structure has when all the components come together. Will be watching with interest
Brad :side:

Wes2010 wrote:
What a gorgeous house, and THE perfect gift for Gail. She will love it. The stonework on this house is really different than anything I've ever seen, but if anyone can do it justice, you will. Although I have seen at least 100 individual buildings that you have built throughout the years, it still amazes me that they start out as good old cardboard.
You know, come to think of it....you could take a popcicle stick, and paint it Camouflage Grey, and Gail would love it, because it came from her "Poppy".

At this stage, the house is really coming together...beautiful work, Bob.

Wes

You're dead on with that, Wes! He doesn't have to give me anything at all but his attention and I'm a happy daughter! :)

By the bye...it was great meeting you! I'm sure we'll see one another again from time to time.

Regards,

Gail

Thanks Brad,

Did you really use my technique??? And I thought after all these years of books, magazine articles and web SBSs, nobody had ever tried to use them? The combination makes a material that is far stronger than people imagine!

The method I began with way back in the early seventies was always with the corrugated cardboard and the matt board veneer. Over the years, I have experimented with various materials for the exterior finish, plaster, vacuum formed brick sheets, etc., actually using miniature plaster bricks and so on. At VLS, I started up a company called 135th Construction Battalion, which produced every imaginable building material and accessories, doors, windows, dormers, roofing and siding sheets, and so on. Over 200 products, I believe!

At the time of sale, I was told the new owner would continue the line and therefore I would have an unending supply of the stuff, Unfortunately, for me and many other diorama builders, he decided he didn't like the line anymore!

Back to the scratchbuilding!

Bob

Bob,
This is looking fantastic. Great information on building and very interesting. :cheer:
Cheers
John

Re:Something really different Update June 23, 2010

Thanks John,

I got some updating today!

I am experimenting with creating the proper "Relief" for the stones on this project. This is a trial and error part as I have never done anything quite like this before. It isn't there yet, but once the fireplace chimney is "Right", then I'll have the formula for the rest of the house and can move forward!

I have veneered the chimney with the sheet stone, however, it can only be used as a basis. It needs some random larger and mid-sized stones, some more protruding than others. Here you see wax paper, baby powder, a brass tube that I use on epoxy putty, (Milliput), to roll it into a sheet. The exacto knife and the ruler are used to cut the stones. Just above the ruler is a bluish colored epoxy putty rolled to a sheet. The baby powder is used between the putty and the wax paper to keep it from sticking!

CIMG1607-1.jpg

After cutting the stone, I lift it off the wax paper with the exacto, dip it into the Elmer's carpenters glue and then adhere it to the fireplace, watching the alignment with the mortar joints. The Milliput will adhere by itself if the baby powder is removed, but this works better, at least for me.

CIMG1609.jpg

Here are some of the stones placed on the lower portion of the chimney. Don't jump to judgement as there is much more to do.

CIMG1610.jpg

Now I have taken some Stucco, (An Italian brand of filler, like Squadron Green stuff), thinned it with Testor's liquid cement and painted it over the stones on the sheet. More coats to come, and then some material to coat it all with to get the proper "Look"! Also, I will make another sheet of Milliput, this one thinner than the last, and make some more mid-sized stones that will be of a thinner relief.

CIMG1612.jpg

As I said, I'm playing this by ear! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

CIMG1613.jpg

Bob

Hi Bob, I only found this project on your blog! The way you do your buildings is incredible! I have use your buildings as insperation for whenever I do a diorama.

Love it, shame theres not a Sherman in one of those garage's ! :lol:

Martyn

Re:Something really different Update June 24, 2010

Hey Martyn,

Guess I could always put one in the front yard! :laugh: :laugh:

Hi Laura,
Not really! My god, after doing this for 65 years, can you believe that? Built my first model in 1945!, Anyway, after 65 years, if I wasn't at least a little good at it, I would probably be looking for another hobby! Never underestimate experience!

Bob

Anyway, I am getting closer to the "Look" I am trying to replicate. Here are todays results. A reminder of the stone relief on the original building.

CIMG1494~0.jpg

The bottom half of the chimney looks like this now. I am getting close! But not quite there. After painting and lightly weathering, it would be close, but tomorrow, I will try a couple of other things.

CIMG1616.jpg

CIMG1615.jpg

CIMG1616-1.jpg

Bob

Wow! This is looking great! I am learning that modeling and diorama-building is exacting, meticulous work. I'm just amazed at what I'm learning on this website, from this project and others' projects I've seen here. What a group of talented people! I feel a bit intimidated by all of you but maybe I can learn something. :)

NyteScrybe wrote:
What a group of talented people! I feel a bit intimidated by all of you but maybe I can learn something. :)

Welcome to the Club Sister! :woohoo:

:mpup

Re:Something really different Update June 24, 2010

Hey Bob,

I hear that a lot! I don't try to make it look easy! In fact, on this project, I am facing dozens of repetitive stone work that seems it will go on forever. You've seen the size of the front and sides of the mansion. It is all that stone! Thank God the back is brick! Now I have a half of a chimney almost finished. Easy?, you bet, just the entire front and sides to put the same process on. :laugh: :laugh:

I'm not complaining, I have extraordinary inspiration on this one, so, once I get the pattern exactly like I want it, I'll just make myself comfortable, put on some great war movies to listen to, and start covering that massive thing with the stonework!

Really easy, know what I'm sayin'! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Senior!

NyteScrybe wrote:
Wow! This is looking great! I am learning that modeling and diorama-building is exacting, meticulous work. I'm just amazed at what I'm learning on this website, from this project and others' projects I've seen here. What a group of talented people! I feel a bit intimidated by all of you but maybe I can learn something. :)

Gail, you got a late start, but you do have my genes, so anything I can do, you can do. Practice, practice and practice some more! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: BTW, you better like it, I wouldn't do this for anybody else!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Your father, you know, Poppy?

Hi Bob, just wondering did the owners of that place call the cops with all the "research" photos you were taking? :laugh:

Thanks for shareing your skills in this way, i'm certain many of us are absorbing every posting you put on!

Regards from OZ

Adrian

Back