• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SNJ-2 Texan SkyTyper References

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
** This thread discusses the content article: SNJ Texan Skywriter **

Last edited:
Re:SNJ Texan Skywriter

Great pictures. I saw these guys doing their show down at Beaufort Marine Corp Air Station several years ago. I would love to know how they do this. They fly a formation of 6 or 8 aircraft and basically type out Dot Matrix messages in the sky. One message was circular, they were so high I couldn't see the aircraft but the message was a full 360 degrees around. I don't know the dimensions of the message but several miles wide would be an understatement I think.

I like how you show the oil stains, even though these are well maintained aircraft in civilian peace time conditions, they are dirty, badly dirty. But the outer wing surfaces are not so bad.

Does Gieco own these guys now Saul or were they just a sponsor at the time I saw them?

Re:SNJ Texan Skywriter

Geico is or was the sponsor. At the time I took the photographs, the new product was Nicorette which you can see on the rear sides of the fuselage. They also flew for a time as "The Miller Squadron" for Miller Breweries.

See more on their history, along with a video, here:
http://www.skytypers.com/

Regards,

Re: SNJ Texan Skywriter

I may need to find more images to prepare for the Kitty Hawk 1/32nd scale Texan!

Regards,

SNJ Texan Skywriter

Found the album and re-scanned the images... more images and larger too!

SNJBlueAngels.jpg

SNJFuselageNose01.jpg

SNJFuselageNose02.jpg

SNJFuselageNosePort.jpg

SNJFuselagePort01.jpg

SNJFuselagePort02.jpg

SNJFuselagePort03.jpg

SNJFuselageStarboard01.jpg

SNJFuselageStarboardNose01.jpg

SNJFuselageStarboardNose02.jpg

SNJWings01.jpg

SNJWings02.jpg

SNJWings03.jpg

SNJWings04.jpg

SNJWings05.jpg

SNJWings06.jpg

SNJWings07.jpg

SNJWings08.jpg

SNJWings09.jpg

SNJWings10.jpg

SNJWings11.jpg

SNJWings12.jpg

SNJWings13.jpg

SNJWings14.jpg

SNJWings15.jpg

SNJWings16.jpg

SNJWings17.jpg

SNJWings18.jpg

SNJWings19.jpg

SNJWings20.jpg

SNJWings21.jpg

SNJWings22.jpg

Regards,

Yeah old stuff is probably still there eating up disc space but links are broke from the old system(s) we had.

Since I still own all the TMs, here is a pertinent part on tires and proper inflation. Did you know they usually come with inflation marks? If not, you can make your own tire inflation check template to 'point' to the proper height the bottom of the wheel should be. In other words, the inflation check templates measure the height of the tire's sidewall from the level ground to the bottom of the wheel.

I start this with point H which is about painting a slippage mark in red enamel. In high school, we used good old testors flat red.

1677071335375.png

1677071504015.png

If the tire doesn't have the line to indicate proper inflation, make a tire inflation check template:

1677071617295.png

1677071645583.png

Also, a correction to what I wrote. The SNJ/Texan/Harvard series did indeed use the same seats as the Mustang but it was later on for the trainer. Early models, especially those with the wooden rear fuselage, used wooden seats:
1677073010238.png

Swivel seat for the observer:
1677073061712.png

The Warren-McArthur seat as used in the Mustang:
1677073106651.png

The Schick-Johnson seat as also used by the Mustang:
1677073147332.png

Back