• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

There is something...

Shall we have a poll to see what finish I should do?

Just sayin'... since we don't know the rest of the markings, Fenwick's own toothy one?

h98c0985.jpg

Regards,

I got a color printer and decal sheets. I'll try to do that crest and figure out what colors they flew.

Saul can you hook Barney up with a sharkmouth?

I got a color printer and decal sheets. I'll try to do that crest and figure out what colors they flew.

Saul can you hook Barney up with a sharkmouth?

If I can find any that work! I planned to hand paint mine but still wait on unit codes.

Regards

Shark Mouths are not my things, so I'll take a pass.

How about a Red and Yellow bullseye for the wings and the chicken for the tail? Probably German like numbers etc, white with yellow with red outline?

:yipee

Love this aircraft and have been toying with 'What If' schemes for many years... still not decided, but after all this time, I've narrowed it down to three !! :java

Ian.

Shark Mouths are not my things, so I'll take a pass.

How about a Red and Yellow bullseye for the wings and the chicken for the tail? Probably German like numbers etc, white with yellow with red outline?

:yipee

I'll give it a go. :good:

Day 5:

I am sad to say but Jim passed last night.is struggle with Glue Hypoxia Syndrome was real and finally he lay down and was called home by his friend and loving wife of many years, Gertrude.

OK, I got that out of the way.

The cockpit is done. Not to hard as I didn't add anything to it except paint. It is a small, closed pit and you can't see any of the sidewall detail. That's a pity as I dolled it up really nice.

h2fdbdd0.JPG

The fuselage seems look pretty good also.

Next step is the engine nacelles and wheel wells... Lots of paint, lots of stuff to play with...

Damn, in my next life, I want to build 32nd scale. In fact, I think my next kit just might be a 32d Kit that is hogging a whole lot of room on the shelf. :drool

1/32! Way to go Barney! I have a bunch of high end 1/32 kits and keep getting sucked into the 1/48th and smaller kits. On a positive note the smaller kits can be good test builds for the bigger kits. Unfortunately there are also many kits that have not seen the light of day in 1/32.

So far so good Barney!

First off, thank you for your service!
I just logged on and saw this, I read your first paragraph and thought "Damn!...that's me." The modelling, not serving in any forces that is.
I started out with Gunze Aqueous Sangyo acrylics on my return (1993) to hobby modelling...tried to brush paint a kit and found out you cannot brush paint Gunze acrylics, then bought Tamiya acrylics, well waaay back then you could (kinda) brush paint Tamiya acrylics (not anymore) but it sprayed great. In my experience Gunze stays tacky for...my lifetime at least.
I also tried Model Master Acrylics (they almost drove me nuts) these paints would clog in the airbrush, spit spatter and fall off the model when dry. I recently donated 33 bottles to a friend (he might not be anymore) just to get them out of the house.
Vallejo...can brush paint it, can airbrush it (with Vallejo airbrush thinner, yes, I even thin the "model air") but their colors can often leave me wondering if I painted the model with the right one or not.
As to the scheme to pick for the model?....I'd probably put turbine engines on it and paint it SEA camouflage colors...but that's me
and, yes, I've done that.

I'm "working from home" tomorrow so i'll have time to play with the decal sheet. Looking good Barney

Chrispisme: Some people have tons of luck with acrylics... then there is everyone else :yipee

MP: No hurry, I am learning patience in retirement... Today I counted to 500 in Sanskrit so I wouldn't throttle some third afterbirth of a dead camel, who RICHLY deserved it. (It is an improvement, I used to have to count to 1500!)

It was a L.....O......N......G day... 300 errands, cleaning the popguns, legally disposing of 2 and the having the normal garbage.

Tomorrow is another day.

That is a neat kit! The Whirlwind is one of the more underappreciated aircraft of WW2, and as others have said, darn thing looks fast sitting still!

I too am just not a fan of the acrylics. I am an old enough fart to remember the little bottles and tins that you speak of, I think the Pacifica Glass bottles had a teardrop shape cast into them, right? I also remember the airbrush being this mythical thing that models heard about but no one I knew had one, kind of like a dragon

I was 22 before I owned an airbrush... 1975! The 1stSGT wouldn't let me use the air compressor in the barracks, so that was the end of that. When I was transferred to the UK I divested myself of most things 110V and it took a few years (1977-2007) for me to come back. Still, not very good with it, but since I RETIRED I have more time to play.

I was digging through the mini-stash (I'm down to under 60 kits from something in the hundreds several years ago) (Yes, I am a reformed plastic hoarder) and decided that 1/32 was the way to go. So with that in mind, I pulled out a Ki-43, ordered some different decals (everybody build them as Japanese or Manchukan) and have started. The mojo is starting to run...

At least something still gets up and going... sometimes.

Sorry i've made no progress on the decals Barney, I'm on the road without my laptop (got my work laptop), I'll be back home Sat PM and back out on Wend. Will try to do something over the weekend.

Spent most the day doing things on the 2016 Honey Do list... slowly but surely...

But did have some time for fun stuff

h5beb519.JPG

My first time using masks for the wheels... there is some detail I need to pick out...

hc5739e8.JPG

The wheel wells are ready to go together and dirty up some...

Tomorrow will be a day to gt something done as will Monday. Sub Teachers don't work on legal holidays... too bad, I can use the money, Momma has a new embroidery machine to be paid off and I can use some supplies.

Meanwhile, I spent sometime cleaning up seams and flash on the Ki-43. The cylinders are a hit mess. Then I have to modify (NOOooo) the sucker for the exhausts to fit, properly.

32 Days to VaCa!

Well everything is looking great. However, I have gone through all four pages here and still have no idea what MCW paints are. I'm not in the market for acrylics, but given Testor's Model Master situation; it is something I have to look at so that when the time comes, I can switch over.

MCW Finishes is a small company, based in Massilion, OH that has the PPG formulas for just about everything and your sister. (Well, maybe not your sister), the current owners took it over a few years aback and are trying to grow the brand. I have no financial or emotional interest in this product. But with Model Master off the playing board this might be the new face we need to fill-in for the 46 different Olive drabs and 70 different khakis that are used in the modeling world.

https://mcwfinishes.com

The paints are lacquer based and pre-thinned. I am also using them for the A-36 I'm building. I am not certain what colors they have in stock, but according to the dude they can replicate an FS color, automotive colors and probably match a sample you have. I lays down well and dries to the touch in a minute or two.

Back