• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tristar Sdkfz 222 1/35 WIP

Hello Guys
I Ended Mounting. Now I prepare the 222 for painting...

8z1sb6.jpg

Bye bye
mike

Hi Guys
I will reproduce a 222 into 20. Panzer Division in Russia , winter 1942.
The decals' kit of 20 Panzer Division are in white, but I read in others history book (for exemple Panzer Colours 2) the insigna was in yellow.
What is the correct version?
Thank you for yours response.
Regards
Mike

The decals' kit of 20 Panzer Division are in white, but I read in others history book (for exemple Panzer Colours 2) the insigna was in yellow.

Mike,

At the bottom of the box, look who helped in research. I don't have the Sd.Kfz. 222 but most of the other kits credited Thomas L. Jentz with assistance.

Also, the Panzer Colors series is really old and there have been many updates:
http://www.stugiii.com/gamesmodelsmisc/panzercolorserrata.html

As such, I only use the series to look at the photos and not the captions or text.

Going online is the only avenue of research for many but the media is full of garbage and outdated information so I can see why the confusion is there. If one can can't afford new books, there are several research forums such as:
http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=1293
http://www.history.jp/wehrmacht/

and more. Note the color of the emblem on the Axis History site.

Regards,

Hi Sharkmouth
thank you for your response, it's very interesting!
I have save the link's , in particular related to Panzer Colours book's.
At the end I have decide of realize an 222 of GrossDeutschland, after I have verify the operative history of this important german division.
But I will deepen the question of symbols of 20. Panzer Division.

Now the new photos of wip.

I have mask the interior details with sponge and maskol..

sxp4r7.jpg

I have sprayed a base coat of german grey , it's very dark and is perfect for the contrast effect I to do with white paint.

2u95u0y.jpg

After I have sprayed a coat of future, after I have positioned the decal with apposite liquid of gunze . The balkencreuz it's realize with Eduard's mask.
When all are dryed I have spryed another coat of future .
2m2av5d.jpg

In this step I have sprayed a coat of lacquer.
I sprayed the lacquer in a glass, after I insert this liquid in my airbrush, with this metod is more easy the correct distribution on model.
1z4v6aa.jpg

Some areas aren't in white camo, in these case I have mask this areas with malleable material (similar blue tack) , after I have sprayed a light coat of the white camo
6zniqd.jpg

With two brush , one soft and another hard, and hot water , I have start the final step, removing the white camo with delicate action.
This is the result of my work in this afternoon.
I'm not very happy of the result :angry: , in the next step I will correct the general effect of my 222....with sponge method and oil's wash.
2hh18k0.jpg

33uwjs9.jpg

j0wa5l.jpg

Criticism and suggestions are welcome :notworthy

bye bye
mike

Thank you Guys, as I write yesterday I haven't satisfacion of results :( and today I have correct the winter camo, with a little sponge (and grey enamel by Humbrol) for to make a little scraping.
Now for me is correct. :)
What are the yours opinions ?

2ronvw1.jpg

349evjb.jpg

wiugi0.jpg

:notworthy
bye
mike

Thank you Guys, as I write yesterday I haven't satisfacion of results :( and today I have correct the winter camo, with a little sponge (and grey enamel by Humbrol) for to make a little scraping.
Now for me is correct. :)
What are the yours opinions ?

2ronvw1.jpg

349evjb.jpg

wiugi0.jpg

:notworthy
bye
mike

Oh I see, you weren't able to get enough whitewash off the first round. Looked good to me then and looks good to me now, I'm easy.. :mpup

Hi Guys
these are the news on my sdkfz 222. I have finished the lining step, realized with oils and white spirit.
I have tested the union of guns, radio and turret. I have added the cables on radio and on external antenna.
Next step is the mud on lower hull.
Suggestions and criticism are welcome.
bye bye
mike

34hi7me.jpg

10p4wts.jpg

:)

It looks really nice Mike!
Seriously, winter whitewash is a tough subject and very hard to make "just-right". You have done a nice job.
Suggestions? Well..... since your offered, the spare wheel cover looks fantastic, with a nice pin wash around all the seams, but I think, ...maybe..., they would have slopped whitewash on that too. It would be a shame to cover it up, but I would apply some white to it. The mud and weathering might do the trick to tie it in. Just my 2 cents.

Keep up the great work. Thanks for putting it out here,

Bill

Back