• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter Ju 87A in 1/32 (Resuming the build)

Yep, Pauls drunk, cut'em off Bartender. :drunks: :drink
LOL!
Hey Bob, wanna see a picture of my ass (scar)?

Naw I won't do that to ya
Aughhhh.gif

Sometimes models frustrate us. Even though I am never surprised when a Trumpeter kit gives a guy fits, there may be a special treat that eases said unhappiness.

It kinda goes with your scar, Paul.
NO. No it don't!

Moving right along now. Tonight I discovered that the HGW seatbelts are complete junk unless you are building a 1/24th scale kit. I had the same problems with the Horton seat belts that I was going to have with the ones for this build. I decided to compare the parts from the HGW and Quinta Studios belts and found that the parts in the HGW PE fret are quite a bit LARGER!

Here is the photo of the HGW belt set and notice that it is marked for 1/32 scale, and the part numbers all start with 132.

Ju87A-106.jpg

So here we go. My belief is that ALL these seat belt sets are way off on sizing and thus won't ever buy another HGW set. Pass this info along.

Ju87A-107.jpg

Ju87A-108.jpg

Note that I also pulled out some Eduard PE belts and they were pretty much the same size as the Quinta Studio sets. Minor differences, but not anything like this ridiculous oversize crap.

Ju87A-109.jpg

Ju87A-110.jpg

Ju87A-111.jpg

Not bad for a first try on these. I think it might be wise to glue an thin paper strip to the underside of these which should help prevent breakage and hold them together.

I still have to finish up the radio operator seat and do some minor tweaks before placing them. Moving right along.

I liked using Gator Grip for the glue Paul. Gave me more time to position, I think I used CA for the anchor points. Neat trick about releasing them from the paper. :vgood:

Actually the CA I am using is setting off really slow so plenty of position time. The thick stuff I am using has aged a little bit. I have some newer thin CA and if I mix them it speeds up a little and gives other properties.

Had some time that I was able to get some work done this weekend. Here is a short update.

Ju87A-118.jpg

Ju87A-119.jpg

Ju87A-120.jpg

Ju87A-121.jpg

Ju87A-122.jpg

The hard part will be getting the rudder peddles at about the right location. I doubt that it will be any worse than Trumpeter had them. The opening in the front of the fuselage is a little empty at the moment, but there is still a bit of stuff that has to be placed here.

I was about to say the rudder assembly looks upside down then realized THEY ARE! :rotf

Good job Paul, nice to see one in real life to see what's going on.

Since we have been on snow days this week and now ICE, I have been home and finally got myself past the doldrums and got back on this. I have been picking at it for a bit, little here and a little there, finally have enough for a nice update.

Ju87A-123.jpg

Ju87A-124.jpg

Ju87A-125.jpg

Ju87A-126.jpg

Ju87A-127.jpg

Ju87A-128.jpg

Ju87A-129.jpg

Ju87A-130.jpg

Just realized by looking close at the reference photo and the parts that the elevators should be down to a thin edge instead of the thick edge that they are. I have said it before and here it is again, Trumpeter kits have so many sucky easily fixed inaccuracies that they are almost not worth building. This one is coming along well and is a long way better than it started out, but dang it is a pain in the can.

Yeah, those elevators are out to lunch, but your stabilize fix is nice.

There are a number of instances in full scale where the control surfaces are built that way on purpose, as it reduces deadband around the neutral position. The Vought Cutlass is one. Another example which proves the benefit is the difference between the control response on the Beech Sierra and the Duchess. The Sierra ailerons come to a sharp trailing edge while the Duchess had the same airfoil and aileron but the trailing edge of the aileron had a U-shaped channel inserted to widen the trailing edge. The Sierra autopilot was always hunting in roll and the aileron response was poor near neutral, while the Duchess was nice and crisp.

Been working on the gun sight the last several days. Part of this has been how it needs to fit to the instrument panel, and then how that fits to the cowling and windscreen. Too far forward and it interferes with the windscreen, too far back and there is an issue with the cowling and another part that I still have yet to scratch build. I also took detailing the gun sight to an extreme AMS level, but since when is THAT new. HA!
3D-bash head.gif

Anyway here is the gun sight, hope you like it.

Ju87A-131.jpg

Ju87A-132.jpg

Ju87A-133.jpg

Ju87A-134.jpg

Ju87A-135.jpg

Ju87A-136.jpg

Yeah, I actually had fun building this little POS. It was a challenge and I used my Future to make things look a bit better and clearer. Still have another couple of cockpit steps to go. This thing is a pain, but it is really looking good, so that is helping to keep some motivation going.

I finally got the gun sight and instrument panel and cowling all the way I wanted them. What a pain in the can, but it looks right.

Ju87A-137.jpg

Ju87A-138.jpg

Ju87A-139.jpg

Ju87A-140.jpg

Ju87A-141.jpg

These are going to be so fiddly that it is going to be a fight to get them mounted. The "Sumersault" bar is actually not quite as thick front to back as it appears in the photos, but to fix it would require a lot more work than it would be worth. Thus fitting the radios is going to be a pain. Because of how this thing goes together I couldn't mount them before the fuselage and "BAR" were assembled. I have put this off as long as I can and now it is time to get it done.

Well guys, it is time for another update. Been trying to work diligently on this beastie, and if I just go in and do something it makes progress. So here is the update.

Ju87A-142.jpg

Ju87A-143.jpg

Ju87A-144.jpg

Ju87A-145.jpg

Ju87A-146.jpg

Ju87A-147.jpg

Ju87A-148.jpg

Ju87A-149.jpg

I am a little further along on it than this, but don't have any photos of those parts yet. It also looks like another Trumpeter FUBAR in the rear cockpit section that interferes with the machine gun. Yeah I built it the way they said, No it is their screw up and I will need to figure out just what they were thinking.

Just let me think Lg.jpg
Measure twice cut cuss.jpg

Back