• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

U.S.S. ARIZONA "A BEGINNING"

Here is a diagram of the Arizona. Pretty picture.

arizona.jpg

The Arizona was in this configuration in late 1940. The paint change happened in late summer or early fall 1941.

B)

Turning to pre-war paint there seems to be a lot ideas about the shade of gray used. We know the paint called for is spelled out as Measure 3 which is light grey 5L with deck blue horizontal surfaces except for the wood deck which remained natural wood with red mahogany stain. Before 1941 measure 3 used light grey 5.

Color chart:

FLEET_COLORS_1.JPG

Comparing colors from different model manufactures(Lifecolor, AK) with the color picture of the Texas which was taken sometime in 1940. None seem to match very good.

PAINT.jpg

Going back to the color chart there is not much difference between light grey 5 and 5L. The color looks like Tamiya light or neutral grey.

B)

Well I don't think I will let the "issues" stop me. Nor will I get heartburn if every little detail doesn't get corrected. I'll let you do that. I really get tired of modelers bad mouthing kits because they don't measure up somehow and then giving hell to other modelers that go ahead and build it. I went through this with Dragons M103. Enduring comments like "I wouldn't have wasted my money on it" and "too bad you have spent so much time on a completely wrong kit". You know what their BS didn't matter a bit especially when a former M103 TC said "Boy that brings back memories". He didn't give a damn if the turret was the wrong shape or the road wheels aren't spaced right because it "looked like" a M103 to him. So keep your negative "advise" to yourself. If it bothers you so much then don't look. I sure wish you would finish your Arizona so we all can gain the benefit of your detailed knowledge, but until then I'm going to build this kit if it kills me just to say I built it "issues" and all.

Sorry to go off like this, but please don't prevent someone else from building a kit just because there are "issues" with it that bother you.

Just letting you know up front Terry. I expected a much more accurate model than it is when I bought mine. The kit I believe was intended for RC with working turrets, and rotating 5 inch guns. How you build it and what you decide to do is entirely up to you. I have constantly entertained getting back to mine but something has always kept popping up, so mine sets, but I am still pondering stuff that needs to be done.

As to coloring, many of the photos show the light grey overall paint scheme. It seems that in early '41 it went to a dark grey with the light grey mast heads. Finally by December 7th it had changed again to sea blue with the light grey mast heads though I suspect it still had some dark grey on the tripods and some difficult to access areas. The decks were still natural wood though as shown by a photo I have (someplace) from just days before the attack.

It will be interesting to see your take on this lady Terry.
Watching-with-Popcorn.jpg

Back