• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

**FINISHED** Airfix 1/24 Mosquito build log

Airfix 1/24 Mosquito build log

Ahhh progress :drinks

Today's update will be a step by step (get that song out of my head pls) on shimming.

The problem here begins with the Nacelles. They're one of the few parts that have a means of fitting positively and squarely - a series of walls in the bottom of the wing aligns everything with no room to move. Mine lined up with the top of the nacelles at the rear of the wing, but I hear that's not always the case.

The problem is that there is an unsightly gap on either side of both nacelles.

fmkf06K.jpg

ElaqYVO.jpg

It's in a place that would be frustrating to fill and sand, so I elected to shim with some stock styrene.

First you'll need to find the thickest stock that will fit.

IIRC for this case it was .015

N0QIYMy.jpg

Now, slide the shim to one end of the hole it's going to fill. Then slide it through to the other end.

Now that we know how much we're going to lay down, slide it to one end and mark the other

UMP5kLV.jpg

SoCcfVL.jpg

I'm using sheet and not strip because with a square of sheet I essentially have a handle. If I used stip, it might fall up into the wing (in this case) and rattle around the plane for the rest of its life.

Now with your sheet cut for length and a reasonable height so you can maneuver the piece, insert it into the gap. You'll likely need to dip one corner in, slide it to the intended end and then drop the other end down, gradually feeding the length of the plastic in as you go.

End result;

I43q1AU.jpg

Now apply your favorite plastic cement and the thin styrene becomes a little more like putty, it will squeeze out lengthwise and close the gap better as well as expand width wise a little to join to both surfaces.

The gap you're dealing with changes in width?

Not a problem, do as above but before gluing add a second layer of shim measured the same way as above.(look carefully and you'll see a smaller shim in front

4aTG02U.jpg

Once dry - shouldn't take long at all, take a knife at right angle to the piece and it will cut off easily. Voila no more gap and at worst - a tiny little bit of filling you would've had to do anyway.

jbSaIEZ.jpg

J3yx4n0.jpg

In other news, remember this?

Udl3aKD.jpg

After fitting and fixing and repeating, it was still too thick, the gap due to the fuselage offset was too wide and the fairing was too long regardless.

Separated to sand down some length - I couldn't do this at the rear of the panel when it was in one piece because of the rivet marks which I didn't want to rescribe.

4GySu1L.jpg

Used my Mission Models chisel and my dremel and thinned and thinned and thinned...

o1sbRcl.jpg

Do they fit? They do, but you'll have to wait and see.

Also - update on the fuselage step;

ZQupe9K.jpg

It feels good once you have it done well.

Thanks for the neat tutorial on shimming- I'm taking notes! Looking at the amount of fill used on that troublesome section I'd say you really minimized the awkwardness of the join- cheers, Matt!

Looking good. Also loos like a ton of work, but your doing very nicely. :popcorn :D
James

Thanks for the neat tutorial on shimming- I'm taking notes! Looking at the amount of fill used on that troublesome section I'd say you really minimized the awkwardness of the join- cheers, Matt!

That's weird, I could have sworn I learned the technique from you :unsure:

Now on to the wings I go - which don't fit and you can't apply pressure to them because the nacelles pop out - or now that they're glued, probably break.

We need that emoticon of the two smiley faces fencing cut in half, the dude on the left swinging his sword around and then stabbing a box that says "To the bench!"

Sorry guys, I was on vacation last week so I only have an update for you now.

The wings are on! Permanently.

Either I'm doing this all wrong, or I've found another area where the kit is poorly engineered. All the parts fit in theory, but the actual exercise of putting them together isn't the smoothest. amongst other issues, the pilot's armor is once again in the way.

Here it is in one easy step:

3hc5McT.jpg

hynHiSN.jpg

If you look at the bulkhead here, you'll see the fit is perfect with no gaps. So there shouldn't be any problem right?

AxO1kVs.jpg

lKYC4Yn.jpg

Same at the back with the bulkhead that has the hole in it.

NprdLOO.jpg

Here's the first issue - which has nothing to do with the width of the fuselage. If you install the wing as directed, when you go to swing the rear of the wing up, it wont clear this tab here or the matching one of the far side. These support the rear of the bomb bay sides. If you slot the wing in rear first and swing the front up, you wont clear the matching tabs on the front of the bomb bay. I ended up losing the top half of the rear ones.

ZvgiyRs.jpg

dyFCwjt.jpg

Here's the width problem. This photo doesn't show it as clearly as I thought it would - but there's a massive gap on either shoulder right next to the two seats. You can see clear through.

ihdDjWO.jpg

Back to shimming...

The positionable flaps might seem like they're not fitting right - but play with them. They slide back and forth about 1/16th of an inch.

tqrDuhz.jpg

8LeDfYl.jpg

At least she's standing

COl4qrj.jpg

With the Tamiya 1/48th counterpart.

H62uW6q.jpg

fX4oPTW.jpg

Back to the shimming. There's also a gap over the wing that needs to be fixed. I couldn't raise the wing any further. I put more pressure on the wing and fuse joint but back off when I felt that I was going to bust a seam somewhere.

I marked the length of the void on the widest sheet styrene that would fit.

D5TSy55.jpg

Slotted it in, gluing as I went from front to rear. I discovered it was far too easy to push the styrene clear inside so I tried a different approach with the other side.

8QtZBaK.jpg

This time I cut the shim to length, but left it attached to the sheet so i could control it. After gluing the sheet was cut off.

UX27Mjs.jpg

Before I can fix the cannon shroud or attach the sides of the bomb bay, I have to assemble the cannon pack.

Pay close attention to where the braces attach to the cannons. I almost messed this up the first time through.

bf9fIvC.jpg

Credit where credit is due - these 9 pieces are holding together while dry fitted. I wish the whole kit was like this.

L9GoDl0.jpg

Alclad gunmetal is one of my favourite colours. Dry brushed with Tamiya's German metallic gray

PbP0a2F.jpg

syz18NU.jpg

Since the cannon shroud was being installed, there was no point in using the beautiful master barrels. To make up for this, I used some of Radu's grommets to cap off the ends of the barrels.

syXIti2.jpg

1yPsHOP.jpg

qbUjww5.jpg

Dry fitting of the bomb bay sides showed they didn't fit well because the wing sat low and the locking portion of the tab on then end was taken off by the wing. Careful sanding and constant checking lead to a perfect fit.

DaKkQlc.jpg

9P4atfG.jpg

Pd8ULqU.jpg

iJrCc9s.jpg

Like wise the shroud took a ton of sanding and thinning. It will still need to be filled before paint.

D4DRyfp.jpg

At least it sits flush now.

Harz4c1.jpg

Further assembly of the cannon pack was required in order to check the fit of the upper half of the shroud

syz18NU.jpg

These do not align well on their own. I glued them to the brackets once I had them in place - otherwise it would be a nightmare to fit.

They didn't want to go past any of these bulkheads

J1LeP4c.jpg

In the end I removed all those bulkheads to help the fairing sit flush. It turns out that the Mosquito is like the Typhoon's engine covers - they're not meant to be in place with all the detail on. If you want this shroud on the bottom, don't build the bulkheads. I left the rear one on because it can be seen from the bomb bay.

J1LeP4c.jpg

To test fit, I determined how far back the upper shroud sits from the front and blu-tacked it in place. Then I moved the cannons forward and found no fit issues.

148SmiO.jpg

This is when I glued the guns to their mounting brackets

j4grWqn.jpg

The fit is now fine. Note the brass grommets.

AKkyNhJ.jpg

I would recommend gluing the ammo chutes together AFTER gluing the top halves to their ammo crates. The fit is finicky
dB2TLqS.jpg

I used square stock to fill the void on the side of the fairing, sanded it flat after it was glued in place.

O9eBCjn.jpg

sheet stock was also used to flush up the front fairing with the rear (I cut them apart, they wouldn't line up when attached.

7h7DjLJ.jpg

Now she's really looking like something

JSRUl2c.jpg

7RC99Yo.jpg

Just a little more to go before paint. I have to wait for a hobby store to open - I'm 100% out of putty - then fill some spots, sand, prime and then.........PAINT!

Nothing to apologise for we are all just glad youre sharing this great build with us. :popcorn

Glad to see you forging ahead with this build. Can't help but love a mosquito of any size. (y)

On the other hand , I got to see a 1/32 B-17 a few months ago . I find it amazing what a superior fitting model it is than this Airfix product .

Cheers, Christian B)

This is big-boy modeling right here- never give up, never surrender! It's funny how one piece being off can set of a whole chain of misfortune- but once it's overcome the rest can be coaxed into place. It's gping to be a real beauty, Matt- cheers!

chuk

Just glad you're taking the time to share this work with us.

One question though . The panel between the flaps and ailerons . Do the fasteners on the real plane protrude as much as the ones on the kit ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Just to echo Christians' point, Mosquito's always look fantastic, just something about their lines, just so right. As to the skills being shown here.... It's like reading/viewing a 'masterclass', simple as that.

:good:

Ian

Thanks guys, you are too kind. I'm just making steady progress, tackling one problem at a time just like Chuck has taught us.

This is big-boy modeling right here- never give up, never surrender! It's funny how one piece being off can set of a whole chain of misfortune- but once it's overcome the rest can be coaxed into place. It's gping to be a real beauty, Matt- cheers!

chuk

Some days I would prefer to hammer than to coax, but they tell me patience is a virtue. I hope it comes out well, it's really starting to look like something now. I'm just annoyed that I have to mask the canopy myself lol. How quickly we become entitled to the things we were only just introduced to.

One question though . The panel between the flaps and ailerons . Do the fasteners on the real plane protrude as much as the ones on the kit ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Took me a second there - it's between the split flap, but yes I see what you mean. The detail isn't nearly as pronounced as the photo would have you believe.

Good catch, the references I have don't show those fasteners to be nearly as pronounced. That IS an access panel to the rear landing gear arms, so it stands to reason that there would be some sort of fastener and seeing as the mosquito is so devoid of panel lines or other such surface features, I'm going to leave them there.

Thanks guys, you are too kind. I'm just making steady progress, tackling one problem at a time just like Chuck has taught us.

chuk

Some days I would prefer to hammer than to coax, but they tell me patience is a virtue. I hope it comes out well, it's really starting to look like something now. I'm just annoyed that I have to mask the canopy myself lol. How quickly we become entitled to the things we were only just introduced to.

Cheers, Christian B)

Took me a second there - it's between the split flap, but yes I see what you mean. The detail isn't nearly as pronounced as the photo would have you believe.

Good catch, the references I have don't show those fasteners to be nearly as pronounced. That IS an access panel to the rear landing gear arms, so it stands to reason that there would be some sort of fastener and seeing as the mosquito is so devoid of panel lines or other such surface features, I'm going to leave them there.

Yep, I got my location off just a bit . I was thinking it might have been an access panel for the flaps but it looks like the landing gear is a good possibility.

I was curious about those. I noticed them many years ago on a 1/72 version but it's hard to find a Mosquito to study in detail.

Cheers, Christian

I haven't forgotten about you folks - I'm filling and sanding. It's almost time to put on a tinfoil hat, I'm going a little cross eyed.

Lot of work, not much to show for it.

Also - if you're going to build one of these kits, another note; the flame shrouds are not designed to go on with the exhausts, it's one or the other. I mention this because you attach the exhausts before you install the cowls and it would be miserable to figure this out too late.

This kit suffers from horrible instructions.

The Typhoon is similar in that you can't build it like an old Revell kit or the newer Tamiya stuff - you either build the detail and leave it open or you dont even build the kit parts and cover it all up. If it were my kit - I would have purchased it with the intent to build everything and install all the detail parts, but leave the cowls on sometimes. I'd be pissed about now

Back