• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Smuggler Submarine

h6be149f.JPG

It was a productive casting day today!
4 Smugglers sets, some USCG 41's, 82's and a 110'set, islands, more boats for the Movie-Star set I just released, an interesting sandbar, another Orca, 2 more sharks, a couple of clownfish and even a new shrimp boat set!

A good day to be a resin casting Geek!

Thanks for lookin' In!

With unknown numbers of smuggler submarines running in-shore to deliver their contraband cargo, Something had to be done to defend our coastal waterways!
Gentlemen, I give you the newest addition to the US Coast Guard's drug enforcement/rescue arsenal.........

h2370d89.JPG

The Minnow class MSRV. Most of Her details are still classified. I will share what has been revealed by our ever vigilant USCG Public Relations office. A single periscope, diving planes and cozy surface conning station are visible on the sail of these Boats. Named for bait fish, the medium range Minnow class is propelled entirely by deep-cycling lithium/ion AGM batteries. Top submerged speed, endurance & maximum depth are still classified.

These dainty vessels are unarmed save for their experienced, steely-eyed crewmen that operate the powerful passive & active digital sonar systems and small arms. They can data-link to US Navy and USCG assets up to a depth of 10 fathoms. Their mission is to intercept, report, track & deter whenever possible. A rumor circulates that the Minnow class can produce a sound emulating that of a US Navy Los Angeles class SSN at full power.

The primary mission is interdiction of clandestine traffic that violates US territorial waters and coastlines.
In keeping with the Rescue role of the US Coast Guard's mission, the nimble Minnows are fitted with a docking collar to conduct medium-depth rescue & recovery from submarines of all Nations. Not as cumbersome as a pure DSRV such as the US Navy Mystic class, They are easily transported by air or sea to anywhere on the Globe their Silent Services are required.

At this time, USCG Minnow, Pinfish, Ballyhoo and Chub are reported to be in service. A total of 18 MSRV's are in production for the United States Coast Guard.

20210906_103250.jpg
Minnow 1 and Minnow 1b ready to mold. I wanted something to fill out the Universal Hull mold and the MSRV's get the nod. I quit using perfectly good plastic sheet for casting bases and made good use of the horse-pucky credit cards that show up in the mail.
Thanks for looking in!

Sounds like a good use for the junk. You're going to have to invest in a clean photo back drop, though. :vgood:

20220319_092144.jpg
South American cartel members, impressed with the flexibility and successes of their first 5 submarine smugglers, submit specifications for a more muscular, speedier Untersee boat to their Argentine engineers. They wish for a diesel/electric powerplant, greater range, more sophisticated passive and active sonar systems, offensive weapons and increased cargo capacity. Ability to recharge the pure-electric "Monstruo marino" submarines at sea increases the capabilities of the original Columbian silent smugglers significantly.

A joint effort by sympathetic (well paid) Argentinians, Venezuelan ship yard officials and SSK propulsion and weapons technology suspected to have originated in mainland China, submarine prototype "Diablo del mar" began her shake-down in late spring 2019. She submerged off Cartegena, returning to her homeport 11 days later. Little else is known about this boat.

Since 2020, more profitable, less complicated methods for large amounts of Cartel products to enter lawful Nations have become available. Brazilian "Diplomats" expect the second sub in this class "Pez Diablo" to be completed with no observable activity on additional hull construction.

There wasn't a second Smuggler submarine planned for TLAR Models. There was a lonesome external fuel tank half that I kept moving out of the way on my desk. With Ricard Pryor playing and the wheels of imagination cheerily whirring, this happened last night along with progress on an unpictured (expendable?!?) Elco 77 foot PT boat. This Master needs some fine tuning, but it's pretty close to completion!

Thanks again for looking in!
:salute:
:oldguy:
:skipper:

I love the little rum runner! 👏👌👍
A buddy of mine did his night running Err... "Driving" in a '36 Plymouth. It had a big trunk.

Looking good. Wonder if they wil ever use drone subs? Gary S.
I cain't say about submarines, but the US Navy is experimenting with a remotely conned anti-submarine vessel named Sea Hunter.
The older, manned SURTASS boats were unarmed, except for a rifle for dealing with sharks and such.
Shapeways offers a Sea Hunter in 1/700 scale. Mine will have SM-1 and SM-2 VLS capability. Any snooping Bear Foxtrot or wayward trawler may well get a nasty surprise. Maritime intelligence gathering with teeth!!
20220321_132415.jpg
More to come on Diablo del mar and her sister!

20220409_112707.jpg

Left over flat black paint in the airbrush needed to be shot somewhere. A primer coat for Diablo del Mar! Add conning tower windows, maybe? :hmm:

20220717_100257.jpg
Intelligence sources inside Central and South American cartels report Diablo del Mar is, in fact, the lead boat of her class, rather than just a very successful prototype. The housing on the top of the boats rudder appears to house a towed torpedo decoy, not so unlike the Nixie devices of ASW vessels in the last century. Experts say the 11 day shakedown in 2019 merely scratched the surface of this vessel's actual endurance. They also surmise her range could be great enough to take "Imports" to UK, Spain and Morocco.

It appears Cartel bosses anticipate a closing and vigorous defense of the US southern border in the near future. A return to tried and true Maritime delivery methods is anticipated. Additional ultra quiet Monstruo Marino class submarines have been cancelled due to competition for the materials to make the myriad deep-cycle batteries required for their operation.

Mr. Elon Musk has been uncharacteristically taciturn about such "Competition". Musk was quoted: "I build cars and spacecraft. What could my businesses possibly have to do with submarines?" Musk's usual sly grin closed the conversation.

After the rousing success of the HMJS Marley, SS-420 submarine exchange program in 2019, Jamaican Customs and Self Defense Force commanders are negotiating with Japanese Naval officials for a second Yushio class SSK to interdict these speedy interlopers in their territorial waters. Sources confirm former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe was facilitating transfer of the next Jamaican Boat. Before his assassination earlier this year, Abe planned to personally oversee the training/camouflage program of the next Yushio submarine at Jamaica Defense Force base Montego Bay. Plans go forward in Abe's absence. In the 3 years since the first Yushio submarine transfer, Jamaican and Japanese service members and citizens made solid bonds working side by side, between these two very different cultures. (That's a story for another day, Mon!)

HMJS Marley's C/O, Captain Cudjo stated: "Yah mon, dis bod feesh. We gonna fine it, an inspect, you know. Mebbe we be collectin' de propah dooties for dem comin' eento my home wootahs. Mebbe sometime dis jus' sink. Can't say how dat come to be, you know. Dis Nu Jamaica boot, SS-619, gettin' name fo' lil' bruddah Shinzo-san. Yah MON!"

US Coast Guard MSRV Minnow I and Minnow IB submarines continue to be completed in Groton, Connecticut. Training continues at the US Navy's King's Bay, GA submarine base. The MSRV's mission continues to be to safeguard trade routes and direct US Navy and Coast Guard aircraft and surface units to suspect, unlawful or disabled vessels. There has been some good natured bull-hessing of USCG crews by Naval submariners about their vessels being named for bait fish. In return, it is rumored the agile and stealthy USCGS Ballyhoo, WPSS-3, "Ambushed" USS Virginia underway and gave her a sound active sonar lashing during a training exercise of the Virginia Capes. This can be neither confirmed or denied by Public Relations Officers of either Service. I saw it on YouTube. :bm:

In a first for USCG officers and men, departure and arrival of their silent, unarmed boats will be a closely kept secret.

If that enough for now?

20220905_124748.jpg
USCGS Ballyhoo, WPSS-3 getting her livery! US Coast Guard Markings rather defeat the attempt at camouflage, If he can hear her, we can't have some over-eager US Navy Frigate skipper attacking a friendly Boat can we? 2 versions of this rescue submarine will accompany the USCG Sentinel class Fast Response Cutter in the fullness of time. Battlefleet Models decals adorn my little Ballyhoo.

Back