• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BROKENEAGLE'S PAINTINGS - update 23rd Oct'23- a new sci-fi painting idea.

;) Just a quick teaser to show you guys what I am working on at the moment.

20170331_014126.jpg

Panther on the Eastern front early March 1945. Its a late production Ist SS panzer division tank delivered from the M.A.N. factory in December 1944. If the snow doesn't work I can always back track to Seelow outside Berlin in April.
The beauty of digital art is that I can create a snow layer over the currently painted green field and keep which ever one works better without having to rework over the existing paint.
The tracks have been very difficult and I am still working on the far left side. The base color of green has only been given a quick coat over my basic line art so this will all look differently once I begin on this.
The smoking tank is a Russian leviathan, a JS2. A common opponent for the Panther on the Eastern front.
Much more to do but thought you guys might be interested.
I am also starting a blog on my website http://threedbattleart.com/(which is now finally up and running). I have linked my MA Masters section to my model blog. Model stuff still needed and I have only one short blog entry at this point but please give it a look and give me some feedback here if you like. I would appreciate the angle from a different perspective.

Hi Ian,

Having seen your work in real life up close and personal, let me say your work looks every bit as great when hanging on the wall as it does on the screen, if not better.

Currently flirting with the idea of coming to Melbourne in June, I presume you're going to be there?

Laurence

Hi Ian,

Having seen your work in real life up close and personal, let me say your work looks every bit as great when hanging on the wall as it does on the screen, if not better.

Currently flirting with the idea of coming to Melbourne in June, I presume you're going to be there?

Laurence

Requesting group pictures... :coolio

:) Thank you to MP, Bob, Luiz, Mike and Christian.
This is my first tank so I am really nervous on this one.
*Mike, glad this one is up your alley. I'm planing to complete this by the end of April so along with a couple of others so please stay tuned.

* Laurence, sure thing. I will be at the Melbourne Model Expo in the same spot as last year, around the middle, on the carpark side next to the glass doors with Randall Wilson who does the battleship art for Trumpeter. Look forward to catching up mate! :dude
MP , we will get a photo no problem. :good:

Ian.

Crap Hilly, how much have you got going on :blink :blink
Really looking forward to seeing these next month.
Hope the business is going well.
Pete

Crap Hilly, how much have you got going on :blink :blink
Really looking forward to seeing these next month.
Hope the business is going well.
Pete

Hello Pete good to hear from you.
A lot going on at the moment with getting the paintings to pay the bills and some models done.
Will you be at Expo this year? If so make sure you drop by and say hello!

Ian

Yep, same as last year I think.
Drop off on Friday night (while I'm close) then back on Monday. May get an extra day this year depending on the family. Looking forward to catching up with you and Matt. :good:
Pete

Hello again,
a bit of an update since my last posting back in late March. My paintings have been my priority for a big show in June so I have been going flat out.
I have finished my next Brokeneagles painting in the series, N04 and its (yes) another Me 109. This time it's a G2 from JG3 that has been forced to belly - in on the vast Russian steppe after suffering damage over Stalingrad.
RETRIEVAL
A unit from JG3 were assigned to provide air cover support for the area across the summer and Autumn of 1942.
This one depicts the pilot waiting for retrieval by a Fi 156 storch.
This is based on an actual aircraft from JG3.
Me_109_G2_Russia_web.jpg

BALATON: FINAL OFFENSIVE IN THE EAST

The next is an update on my Panther G 1945, which is about 85% done. I still have the tanks to do mostly plus some small scenery blending details. It's based on the final offensive in the East, where Hitler ordered Sepp Dietrich from LAH to take charge of the defense of Budapest around Lake Balaton in Hungary.
This is set on a cold clear day in late February 1945, about a month before this actual tank was abandoned and destroyed by it's crew. I based all my research, colors and initial sketch etc on my own Panther dio I completed back in 2013-14. Cammo will be referenced from my new book - Panther (Abt 502) which has all the correct schemes from the factories and the production variations in a linear time-frame.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/ian-hill/149454-battle-blog-2-the-first-lssw-panther-g

Panther_Hungary_v7.jpg

Next one up will probably follow this same process again and be the last Tiger 1 in Berlin.
I have also begun the canvas concept stage for Brokeneagles 5 which is a FWD-9 at Frankfurt June 1945. (same plane and a companion piece to my D-9 sketch).
D9_WEB.jpg

Well there you go. I suppose i have a pretty good excuse for being slow on my dio.

Love to hear what you guys think and what you think would be a good topic for after the Tiger 1

(y)
Ian.

They're all beautiful Ian, I love the details, especially your clouds. They are extraordinary and add so much to the drama of the settings! I've been involved in art all my life and you are an exceptional artist.

About 40 years ago, when I first came onto the modeling scene, I was looking for subjects for dioramas. I came across a photo in a book I had, no idea which one, of several King Tigers in a forrest. The title of the photo was, "Tigers in a French Wood". I never got around to building it, but I never forgot it. Maybe something for a painting down the road? It had lots of detail, drama, and in addition, an ominous threat was portrayed. It was just prior to the Battle of the Bulge.

Maybe something for a future painting? I know I still have it and if you're interested, I'd be happy to look for it.

Bob

I'm not much on ideas but love what you have done. really dig how you're doing this in layers, just like we are supposed to do on weathering. Guess it doesn't matter what your canvas is, it's all art. :notworthy

Awesome. Another one I need to get. I love that pilot awaiting pickup. Will have to save some coins first :)
JAmes

They're all beautiful Ian, I love the details, especially your clouds. They are extraordinary and add so much to the drama of the settings! I've been involved in art all my life and you are an exceptional artist.

About 40 years ago, when I first came onto the modeling scene, I was looking for subjects for dioramas. I came across a photo in a book I had, no idea which one, of several King Tigers in a forrest. The title of the photo was, "Tigers in a French Wood". I never got around to building it, but I never forgot it. Maybe something for a painting down the road? It had lots of detail, drama, and in addition, an ominous threat was portrayed. It was just prior to the Battle of the Bulge.

Maybe something for a future painting? I know I still have it and if you're interested, I'd be happy to look for it.

Bob

Hi Bob,
thank you for that feedback. I am really appreciate your critique . It will give me a nice confidence boost for the show coming up, and it's nice to know how I stack up from someone who has had such a long association with art. :good:
Thanks mate.
"Tigers in a French Wood" - If you can find that photo Bob i would love to get a copy and see what might come from it! Sounds very interesting.

Ian.

I'm not much on ideas but love what you have done. really dig how you're doing this in layers, just like we are supposed to do on weathering. Guess it doesn't matter what your canvas is, it's all art. :notworthy

Hey Birthday Boy, you are exactly right! Thanks for the positive feedback MP.
The process is the same as a model. You lay down each layer as you go starting with the base sketch, then the base colors etc all the way to final weathering and details. The initial sketch is like the bare plastic model and serves the same purpose; to provide a structure to apply colors to. Probably the main difference being with a 2D art piece you have to provide your own lighting.

Ian.

Back