• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Did we give up when the Russians took Vegas!

Your progress is looking awesome! That turret looks really good, I've heard scary things about that. :good:

Your progress is looking awesome! That turret looks really good, I've heard scary things about that. :good:

:blink

It's all true. :facepalm

I'll admit I'm having fun, getting to go back to the days when I got serious with scale modeling in the early 1990's. I almost ordered another one. That is how much I'm enjoying it. The lower half of the turret is going to test me. Plan on tackling that on the next set of days off.

Iron Aardvark what it looks like to me.

:drinks

Thanks guys for the comments. (y)

I'm slowly getting my calf and ankle back. Popped the tendons and torn some muscles in my right calf. I need to remember I'm 20 anymore. :facepalm

Worked on removing the molded bumps that should be bolt heads. I located center (since it's me working on this - close to center) then I drilled them out for separate bolt heads first before smoothing out the location. I'll add the bolt heads when I'm not handling it as much.

I worked on getting a molding cast line. I use masking tape and them work thinned 3M spot putty up against it. I then remove the tape and go back over it again with the thinned 3M spot putty.

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

Some photos after removing the tape

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

Then some photos after going back over the casting mold line.

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

I started cutting down the turret base. I'm going to need to have the fenders on the hull before I can shape it. On the hull you can see the progress so far. I've added a finer casting texture with thinned down Squadron gray putty.

IMG_1416.JPG

Oh, I have added some extra parts box pieces from an old AMT M60A1 kit to the turret, the lift ring and search light plug in.

Nice J.O.B on the turret especially that parting seam is very convincing...might have to borrow that technique :good:

Fenders on

Still need to fill some gaps. I did get them ready for battle damage you grinding out the backside of the and a couple of the toolboxes. I also removed the molded on handles. Since I went with standard M48 fenders I had to guess where the parts went. Wasn't really all that hard.

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

Now I have a better idea of what reshaping I have to do.

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

Real thing.

100_5940.jpg

Turret base reshaping

By my eyeball engineering it looked like maybe .040 to low. Either way it's a place to start. I glued on a piece of .010x.040 strip to mark the edge all the way around. Then took my Dremel to it.

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

After some grinding fun

IMG_1450.JPG

:hmmm

This build is moving along nicely. I'd say your finding a good balance between kit issues and detail without getting bogged down in the minutia. Keep up the good work :v

Back