• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I asked my Good Friend, Don, to paint a Figure....

My big buddy Don has been afflicted by a pulmonary ailment. He had pneumonia and went to Methodist Hospital a week ago. Once the rockin' pneumonia is licked and if no boogie-woogie flu manifests itself, a valve replacement will be required to keep our Don active and healthier.
These procedures represent a hefty financial cost for our under-insured master of modeling. As he recovers from the surgery, Don will require skilled nursing care and rehabilitation. After these expenses are incurred, the State of Iowa will sell his home to recoup as much of these medical bills as the sold house will pay for.

"Why is this a modeling subject, Rhino?"

I'm glad you asked! Don's home is filled with a lifetime of completed model kits. There are also quite a few unfinished models, but I don't know if they are all complete. He asks Teresa and I to activate "Operation Don Down-size". The sale of all things "model" in his home.
Don's keeping busts, air brushes and figure painting supplies (Not FINGER painting supplies! Pay attention!!) Then again..................

We would like to invite everyone to 735 38th st. in Des Moines Iowa on 2 September 2023 for the first shopping weekend of Operation Don Down-size.
Don can use the money from this big sale to help defray the costs of what will become his modest new home after he recovers from the valve replacement surgery.

Don isn't begging for $$. He is an IPMS National Contest award winner for his 1/35 Wehrmacht Armor builds and many of the built models are those awarded models. Few of his 1/35 Armor models are finished out-of-the-box. Come and see for yourself!
There are Aircraft in several scales and a 1/24 VW Combi Van too.

The TLAR Models crew, Including George Stevens, will keep the coffee hot, and the awful puns flowing! We will also collect cash or Paypal payments to make sure Don's money is secure. Volume discounts will apply!

"You do bang on, Rhino. ol' boy. Are there pictures of the collection?"
By a strange coincidence, there are.
20230805_150003.jpg20230805_150015.jpg20230805_150027.jpg20230805_150127.jpg20230805_150135.jpg20230805_150343.jpg20230805_150457.jpg20230805_150455.jpg20230805_150505.jpg20230805_151836.jpg20230805_151842.jpg20230805_151911.jpg
There's another piece I'm not sure is for sale.
20230805_150628.jpg
I'll ask. Don says he's keeping the Busts. This bust is impressive, don't you agree?

Don has been more than kind and generous to me ever since I was a little bitty model maker. This is my way of returning his kindness in some small measure. It is an honor to have this Operation entrusted to us.

Since I started tlarmodels.com I have come to understand WHERE many model kit reseller's inventories comes from. From the widows of model friends that took their Trip up to Heaven. I have helped administer such collections a couple of times before.
At this writing, Don is alive and on the mend. A much cheerier mindset for this task to be sure!
My most fervent wish is that we don't let him down.

Update: Both Tamiya 1/35 King tiger kits, a 1/72 Akron Naval Reserve Bearcat and Don's 1/144 C-54 Skymaster are sold.

We should be able to make Sept 2nd. Will the glass cabinet be for sale? Thar would be great to have at our store.

Good luck Don and good luck on the sale.

Any of this going online for sale?
If you see a kit in the pictures you want, I will do my best pack it up and ship it to you. Prices will be reasonable. Buyer pays shipping. No returns will be accepted, see? I need to classify the unbuilt model kits to see how any are complete, started or parts only.

I imagine TLAR Models will acquire a few of these model masterpieces and kits for website sale as well.
That being said, "Operation Don Downsize" is about Don and HIS needs, NOT about tlarmodels.com.

Don's 100-pound practice bomb is sold.

We should be able to make Sept 2nd. Will the glass cabinet be for sale? Thar would be great to have at our store.
Yep! Good luck getting the old Kay-Bee Toys & Hobbies display case out of Don's house! :lol::bigrin:
It's made out of 1980's quality tempered glass!

I wish I could help but I'm financially in the same boat as he is. I will keep him in my prayers for a swift and full recovery. I highly commend you for what you are doing for him.

Thanks Mark. I get that.
20230809_200455.jpg20230809_200506.jpg20230809_200512.jpg
George, Teresa and I classified the model kits in Don's basement. Pictured here are complete, unstarted model kits.
Note: The Italeri M-24 Chaffee kit is in fact a 1/35 Italeri Panzer IV F2/F4

20230809_200651.jpg20230809_200703.jpg
Pictured here are started/Built/ parts only models. My big buddy Don loves models! So much so, it appears he bought a new kit, opened the box and "played" with many of his kits and moved on to "Play" with the next model.
He also sought parts, weapons, and figures and decals for a great many other German armor diorama projects. In a few cases, the opened kit is missing The Guys. The 1/35 Tamiya Opel Cargo truck has part of it's bed painted, but is otherwise complete, but not "New", See?!

"Built" figure kits are just that. The Guys are built, but not painted yet. Still fun, but not "New" either.

Sometimes the "Parts" model box has a few odd-ball bits in it and not much else.
20230809_182506.jpg
Here's a better picture of the wrecked SU-85 diorama. Them sneegie Krauts are hiding behind it, directing artillery, I imagine.
20230811_175959.jpg20230811_180103.jpg20230811_180152.jpg
Being the Monogram enthusiast I am, I bought this from Don's stash. RS3104 vintage 1966. Evidently Monogram made accessory kits for 1/32 slot car racetracks. This is the first of these kits I have ever seen. It is impossibly rare.
It is possible I am not the Monogram expert I imagined myself to be.

Now, I must pass along some sad news.

Don has returned home. A complication has arisen that makes his heart valve replacement surgery unlikely if not impossible. He has chosen to leave the care of his Doc and live the best way he can in his own house for as many days as he can.

I will be supplying him with a porta-pottie so he doesn't have to hazard his rickety, ol' hips and knees on the treacherous stairs that lead to the upstairs bathroom. Next Monday, we plan a pot-luck "Shindig" at Don's house. I'll fix up the potty for him the same evening after it arrives from Amazon.

That's all I have to say about that. :cry:

I wish Don well Chris. You know life just goes through It's phases. In some ways we reach that point of contentment where what is coming is OK no matter what it is going to be.

It is my sorrowful duty to report Big Don Barry has died. He was undergoing a biopsy on a tumor in his lung, under anesthesia when his big o' heart quit. A "Do Not Resituate" order was in his file. The Methodist hospital Medical team did their best, but could not revive my big buddy.
He didn't suffer. He was comfy and in no pain. Him is happy now and with his beloved Dian again. Just where he wished to be.

"Rhino, you sappy, old marshmallow, why is this a modeling subject?"
The State of Iowa will take Don's home to defray incurred medical costs. No one has any clue how many days it might take.

The 2 September 2023 event is still on for now, but with a different tone. I have been tasked with "Selling all the models". After today it shall be more like "Choose what model you like best and make a donation to Don's family" event, Rather than funding my Big Buddie's continuing life.
Anything left over will go in a huge dumpster.

We are plainly shattered by the news of Don's sudden death.

Such is the sum of an esteemed, expert, award-winning model maker's Life.

Don had most of Richard Pryor's albums memorized. Don' spect no Politikin' 'rectnisses.
I was listening to this to cheer up a little this morning. Quite apropos.

Sorry to hear about Don. I know he was a good friend, and am glad I had the chance to meet him in Omaha a few years ago.

Chris Mike & Don 2014 (2).JPGIMG_0489 (2).JPGIMG_0312 (2).JPGIMG_3740 (2).JPG
"Oh Mrs. Barrr-rry! Can Don come out and play?!" Frequently, If I promised not to be too naughty, he could!
IMG_0538 (2).JPG100_2755 (2).JPGIMG_6554 (2).JPG20230105_190130 (2).jpg
Don enjoyed goofing off with his friends.
IMG_6150 (2).JPGIMG_6211 (2).JPGIMG_E1378 (2).JPG
There was usually mischief afoot.

IMG_6518 (2).JPG
Then as most Men do, the continuing search for a little T & A.
So, now it's time to better emulate Don and the kindnesses he showed to almost everyone he met.

My sincere condolences on your friend Don's passing. He sounds like the kind of guy I like to hang around with. At least he went on his terms.

I'll be praying for him, you, his family and all who loved him., May God welcome him into His Kingdom and may he rest in peace.

The date of Don's memorial service is set.
Memorial Donations can be sent to Julie Jerisk (Dane's Mom) on her Paypal account. jjerisk@mchsi.com
To my Paypal, if you prefer, rhino.c.n.sky.com
OR Checks would be welcomed. The Jerisk Family mailing address is 3909 SW 32nd st. Des Moines Iowa 50321.

It's been a rocky 18 months for this family. Dane's Dad, Ryan died suddenly in 2022. 6 Month's later Gramma Dian suffered for weeks and finally Took Her Trip up to Heaven and then Grampa Don earlier this week.

Whatever loss Big Don Barry's friends may feel compares little to what the Jerisk Family has endured. God bless them! A never ending cycle of grieving for a year and a half! These people are TOUGH!

Now, I'm not trying to put the bite on anyone. Times are tough! We are having to choose between Date Night or the grocery store right now.
Prayers are absolutely in order, much needed and affordable.
Leave a Don Anecdote on the Caldwell-Parish website. That's free too!
Send flowers if you care to.

But my Brothers, I exhort you to do SOMETHING for this battered, stalwart Family. Please. They have certainly earned it!
Those with the means and The Stones, will arrive at 735 38th st. Des Moines, Iowa 50312 Saturday September 2 after 0900 and donate for your very own Don Masterpiece Model, Model kit, diorama, giant resin nekkid lady, stack of books, supplies or tools.

Here's the "Scorecard" so far.
TLAR Models: $135.00. Kits, parts and built models.
British Dave Clarke: $50.00. A Bust of my choice.
Greg Metge: A generous check to the Jerisk Family in the amount of "none of my business". Greg is buying kits for the Plastic Surgeon's raffle and his choice of Don Bust.
George Stevens: $30.00 (so far) Built airplane models.

Don asked me for 2 things before he passed away Monday. "Sell all the Model stuff" and "Bring me a diet Mountain Dew."
How can I possibly refuse?

The rest is up to YOU.

May the Lord make his face shine upon you. May the Lord's love bless you and keep you.

That rocks that you are doing all this for the family. Yes they are tough and when the morning comes, my God richly bless them for all they are going through. I wish I could contribute by seeing what Don has in his stash and tool kit; I would purchase what I could to help out. Alas, that requires money which I haven't earned in 3 months. No worries; it is this family that needs the blessings now.

As of this post, Shipping to 3 of Don's buddies that live in the far flung reaches of our Great Nation have had their requests met. Busts packed.
INSANELY CAREFULLY PACKAGED! Shipping labels printed and paid for. This small part of my promise to my Big Buddy is complete. The best $$ I have spent in quite a while.

Greg Metge has sent $$ to buy a bunch of Don's unbuilt model kits to the Plastic Surgeon Raffle. Julie wishes for the rest of the unsold models kits to go to the same benefactor. Get 'em while they're hot! 50% off retail!

One of our friends asked me to "Price" the Hans Joachim-Marseilles bust Don made so he could pay for it. I know his heart is in the right place, but how does a Man put a value on such a thing? There will be no more Don models, figures or busts. A lifetime of experience and expertise? I "bought him a tracking number" and asked him to donate what he considered was appropriate to The Family. $1,000.00? $25.00? God alone knows.

Yes, friends, the hard-nosed salesman I once was is devolving in to not much more than a sentimental, grizzled, marshmallow.

Julie and her boys have done a fine job getting quite a lot of the "Old Guy Smell" out of Don's house, young Cole even added a touch of ventilation to the upstairs closet in the form of an ancient Remington .22 Magnum revolver. He gave his brother Dane quite a shock as well! I unloaded the ol' shootin' Arn at Julie's house this afternoon. It seemed prudent to do so.

I'm positive our Giant was pointing and laughing from his spot on the streets of gold! Dian must have been horrified! "Holes in my house?! Don, Where's Rhiner all this time?! Those kids are NOT gun people!"

The State has not seized the house as of yet. The event is on for 2 September! Be there, or be a Bay City Roller!!
When I was young, I had Trans-parents. I could see right through them.

Back