• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I asked my Good Friend, Don, to paint a Figure....

Don's service was bittersweet as you might expect. With 1,000 funny stories to relate after 35 years of Don's generosity and friendship to tell. I told a precious few. Even stoic ol' Kent Kirkpatrick got up and told a humorous travel tale that left him and others dewy-eyed.
"Wherever I went with Don, I knew I was safe"

Greg Metge wrote a short tribute, that I was honored to read aloud:

"Don and I met in the mid 70’s when he moved to Des Moines. A shared interest in armor, figure modeling, and dioramas made us friends and competitors. Don never boasted or relished winning with his work and did not have disdain for judges or his competitors. Rather, he enjoyed talking about and explaining his art.

We spent almost six years working together at Great Hobby Adventures. Don was in his element when he could impart his knowledge to a novice modeler (or even a seasoned builder) and have that new information blossom into an elevated creation. In his best Darth Vader impression voice he would turn to me and say, “The Force is strong with this one!”

Building outstanding model art was not Don’s only passion. He read history, listened to music, discussed politics, recreated comedy sketches and albums, retold tales from his life in Flint, Michigan and Puerto Rico. His famous passion was food, especially smoking meats.

We spent three hours together at his house a couple of weeks before he passed. He was in poor health but still learning about painting techniques and paying that knowledge forward. He laughed as we recalled several “situations” we lived through at Great Hobby Adventures.

I will always have a great friend in Don. I learned much from him from glues to blues to hues to Bar B Que. most of all I learned that it’s not what you have, rather it’s what you share, especially of yourself."

I wrote this small fantasy:

"Dian was kissing his head Tuesday morning when he woke up. She said
"Don, honey, wake up. There are some people here to see you."
He roused and found he could stand, breathe and walk without pain. Their bathroom was even on the main floor.

Outside were Paul Steffenson, Tommy Bly, Chuck Sterns and Gilbert Wheeler, all hale and hearty.
Gilbert said "We were worried about you. They don't let you up here if you harm yourself. We've been waiting for you."
Tom smiles at Don and says "Al Griffith didn't make it. He loved little more than himself ".
Paul said "You made it! Welcome home!"
Chuck, grinning his signature grin with his perfect hair, smiles and nods. "1/144 C-54 with a turned nosewheel from an Armor Guy? Not too bad, buddy."

The BEST Chocolate shakes in a little café' by the side of the streets of gold. His mom & dad to visit.
I wonder what the Local Hobby Shop in Heaven is like. Free shipping and no backorders. I'll bet even Trumpeter kits in Heaven have instructions that make sense! Imagine what the Model Contest On High is like!

Don's little sister and her husband will carry the remains of both Don And Dian to their new place that over looks the Sangre de Christo mountains near Westcliffe, CO, for their final resting place. For a Man of great stature and a heart as big as a mountain, this seems quite fitting to me.

Chris, you have a way with words that make folks feel them. The lump in my throat is testament. Thank you for being his friend. 🫡

Don's service was bittersweet as you might expect. With 1,000 funny stories to relate after 35 years of Don's generosity and friendship to tell. I told a precious few. Even stoic ol' Kent Kirkpatrick got up and told a humorous travel tale that left him and others dewy-eyed.
"Wherever I went with Don, I knew I was safe"

Greg Metge wrote a short tribute, that I was honored to read aloud:

"Don and I met in the mid 70’s when he moved to Des Moines. A shared interest in armor, figure modeling, and dioramas made us friends and competitors. Don never boasted or relished winning with his work and did not have disdain for judges or his competitors. Rather, he enjoyed talking about and explaining his art.

We spent almost six years working together at Great Hobby Adventures. Don was in his element when he could impart his knowledge to a novice modeler (or even a seasoned builder) and have that new information blossom into an elevated creation. In his best Darth Vader impression voice he would turn to me and say, “The Force is strong with this one!”

Building outstanding model art was not Don’s only passion. He read history, listened to music, discussed politics, recreated comedy sketches and albums, retold tales from his life in Flint, Michigan and Puerto Rico. His famous passion was food, especially smoking meats.

We spent three hours together at his house a couple of weeks before he passed. He was in poor health but still learning about painting techniques and paying that knowledge forward. He laughed as we recalled several “situations” we lived through at Great Hobby Adventures.

I will always have a great friend in Don. I learned much from him from glues to blues to hues to Bar B Que. most of all I learned that it’s not what you have, rather it’s what you share, especially of yourself."

I wrote this small fantasy:

"Dian was kissing his head Tuesday morning when he woke up. She said
"Don, honey, wake up. There are some people here to see you."
He roused and found he could stand, breathe and walk without pain. Their bathroom was even on the main floor.

Outside were Paul Steffenson, Tommy Bly, Chuck Sterns and Gilbert Wheeler, all hale and hearty.
Gilbert said "We were worried about you. They don't let you up here if you harm yourself. We've been waiting for you."
Tom smiles at Don and says "Al Griffith didn't make it. He loved little more than himself ".
Paul said "You made it! Welcome home!"
Chuck, grinning his signature grin with his perfect hair, smiles and nods. "1/144 C-54 with a turned nosewheel from an Armor Guy? Not too bad, buddy."

The BEST Chocolate shakes in a little café' by the side of the streets of gold. His mom & dad to visit.
I wonder what the Local Hobby Shop in Heaven is like. Free shipping and no backorders. I'll bet even Trumpeter kits in Heaven have instructions that make sense! Imagine what the Model Contest On High is like!

Don's little sister and her husband will carry the remains of both Don And Dian to their new place that over looks the Sangre de Christo mountains near Westcliffe, CO, for their final resting place. For a Man of great stature and a heart as big as a mountain, this seems quite fitting to me.
Thanks for sharing this tribute to Don, as I of course could not make it there. Thankfully, Don is in a far better place, with Dian and friends!!!

Chris, you have a way with words that make folks feel them. The lump in my throat is testament. Thank you for being his friend. 🫡
We all have different gifts. I remember almost everything. I write things down. I tell stories.
"Hey Chief! Why was there a guy on the back of the ship waving flashlights at me?" Ensign Roger Ball, USNR TW-5 1983.

As we consider the Life and Times of Don Barry, in order to dream up what memorial award IPMS Plastic Surgeons might present at our annual contest, My mind goes to a drinking vessel that our Big Buddy was rarely found without. The mug that only a sizeable Man could handle.
Enough beverage to satisfy a healthy thirst or extinguish a forest fire. That's right Men! The 100 ounce thermal mug!
Don Mug 1.jpg
Teresa has a Cricut. It could be lettered to fit the occasion. I believe this might bring approval and mirth from the Hereafter.
Your thoughts?
Don's original Huge Mug resides peacefully by his comfy chair in his house, where he left it before he left for the hospital, filled with (I'm NOT looking in there!) Diet Mountain Dew Goo(?) by now.

Today's event was bittersweet as well. We spent the day in Don and Dian's home, sorting through models, tools, books, completed busts and kits. Plastic Surgeons and Hawkeye Modelers club members attended.
While I welcomed friends conducted tours and ran my fool mouth, Teresa did the "nuts and bolts" of the days event.
20230902_145834.jpg
Made coffee, found the garage door opener and opened the garage (Shocker, right?!)
20230902_145832.jpg
brought the Don-uts from her Hy-Vee store. She did a fine job marking the basket for.................
20230902_145757.jpg
See?! She really worked her little tail off. We picked up Ray & Colton Powers to join the festivities. Ray and Don were truly great friends. It was Don that encouraged Ray to enter his first contest not so many years ago.
20230902_151926.jpg
To look at the display case it isn't easy to see how many completed models found new, loving homes.
Don asked me to "Sell all the model stuff" and I gave my word. I have failed my friend.

This was a one day event. Dozens of model works of art are still upstairs as well. Daughter-in-law Julie and grandson Dane were delighted with the proceeds from the Don-ations.

Teresa says "You can't make people come to Don's". She's right. She usually is.

We moved all the new/unstarted kits. Many of our friends that sought a certain Don model found them and took them home. It pained me that no one could find the 1/35 "Tacti-Camel" that Joe and Aimee sought. A great many tank parts, started kits and soldiers, paints and tools have new hands to keep them busy.

The State of Iowa will seize this house, as is their legal right, and a lifetime of modeling excellence will be lost to the landfill. We lack the ability to store very many of our Big Buddie's builds.

20230902_142337.jpg
Ronnie Shultz drove in from his Woodward home to pickup the raffle prizes and books Greg Metge donated for the next Surgi-Con show. I called him, woke him up from a nap. "What do you need?" was all he asked. Ron was Johnny-on-the-spot. it turns out, Ron's house has an entire upstairs his aged US Navy knees don't allow him to use.
Julie and Dane will also make room for built kits. in their Des Moines home. Between Julie and Ron's homes, a "model convoy" to Woodward, storage my yet be found for many more of Don's excellent builds. Who can say. We rescued/paid for a few more models and busts.

My hat is off to everyone that came to "Don-ate" during these awful economic times on a holiday weekend, to give their hard-earned $$.
Dave Lentell's comforting comments were especially poignant. Ed Buckley and I had what must have been one of our few real conversations in a long time.
John & Sue Maxwell took almost every model with boobs, including the huge, resin, nekkid, woman I was using for a swagger stick.
Our heartfelt thanks to all that came today.

If there is time enough left, Ron Schultz, Dane and Mrs. Jerisk will coordinate Operation Deny Dumpster.

Would have joined, but was way too far and I have a trip coming up that I am NOT looking forward to.
Every Man has to make decisions about what he Can do and what He Cannot do. I Imagine I felt like you did yesterday, when we didn't take the 8-hour car-ride to Mr. Bob's services. Regrets are a bitch.

Chris it took me three hours to read this as I had to stop several times to dry my eyes and compose myself. I wish I could have been there myself to help; I am not able to drive down the street for groceries myself right now. I always find out about all the awesome people I would love to have spent time with after they are gone. I am keeping you and his family in my prayers.

Chris it took me three hours to read this as I had to stop several times to dry my eyes and compose myself. I wish I could have been there myself to help; I am not able to drive down the street for groceries myself right now. I always find out about all the awesome people I would love to have spent time with after they are gone. I am keeping you and his family in my prayers.
You met Don at a show in Missouri. I think it was Modelfest 2018. Terry was there. We took a Modeler's Alliance picture together.
Like Mudbone says "Keep some sun on your face". Live the best you can. At the end of our days, all we really leave behind is our story.
Make it a good one!

Don's 1/35 (Wishing) Well is live!
I might have gotten carried away with awful puns. Have a look-see!

Back