• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Maddog Manufacturing Production in 2019

Thanks Pup! Yeah, it would have been nice, but it seems they were trying to get them all to look like they were all prancing like in a parade. It is an old model so....

Very old, I built it when I was in middle school. I've often felt like grabbing it again and upping the game a bit. I'm no sculptor though.

Pup, I'd love to see you build one of these Bud wagons again. Maybe you and I could do this together. And yeah, very old indeed. That is why I'll be taking my time on these horses first.

Thanks Luiz! I'm trying hard to make them look good while moving them to the finish line.

Well, here's a small update where I started two models and moved forward on several more.

I'll start with one of my two models I started. This is a 1/24 scale 1929 Coca Cola Delivery Van that I got some time back. On another Forums I jumped into a mini Group Build with two other guys building the same thing. It got me motivated to get started on this. Of course, I started with the little four-banger motor:

WIP_Coke_Delivery_Van_I.jpg

I then started on the chassis which needed to be assembled en toto and included eight pieces besides the engine itself. Here it is all assembled:

WIP_Coke_Delivery_Van_II.jpg

The wheel hubs are just tightly fastened onto the metal axles; I can remove them later for painting. I just put them on the model here to line up the chassis and make sure all four wheels touch the ground.

Moving on, I decided it was time to move forward on more models; especially those awaiting paint and/or clearcoat. Here they are in no particular order:

Clearcoat first:

The Diamond T Wrecker got cleared for decals:

WIP_Diamond_T_Wrecker_XXI.jpg

The little V-100 got cleared for decals:

WIP_US_V-100_Armored_Car_X.jpg

The Italian Trattore truck got cleared for decals:

WIP_Italian_Trattore_X.jpg

And the Centurion got cleared for decals:

WIP_British_Centurion_Mk3_XIII.jpg

After all this, I shot a basecoat of Olive Drab ANA color on the Italian Centauro. This was the closest thing I could see that matched pics showing this vehicle in Italian Olive. Good enough for me as I haven't the time or inclination to try and mix that color:

WIP_ACE_Italian_Centauro_IX_Jjpg.jpg

WIP_ACE_Italian_Centauro_X.jpg

Since I was already painting, I pulled out the two Syrian Hell Cannons and finished up the painting on them. On the larger one I first dry-brushed a rust color over the gun and frame itself, then drybrushed some dull metallic color mixed with a bit of rust on the wheel hubs. On the smaller gun, I completed a rough three-tone camo pattern; then painted the tires and the wheel hubs afterward. The tires on the smaller on are still a bit wet in these pics:

WIP_Syrian_Hell_Cannon_IX.jpg

WIP_Syrian_Hell_Cannon_X.jpg

Technically, these two are done already. I still need to complete the rounds of ammo that came with them so I'm not calling them done yet.

Finally, after all that painting; it was time to build something again. The Austratt turret was calling my name, or rather screaming at me; so out it came. Someone wanted to see the size of this turret in 1/72 scale so here's a shot of the upper shell next to a ruler. This is six and a half inches long from front to back:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_I.jpg

The first thing I did was to build the base... all two parts of it. Man, was that ever tough! Yeah...no it wasn't:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_III.jpg

The guns then had to be assembled since they were molded in halves. They give you parts for four guns, even though this only has three in the turret:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_II.jpg

I made those as seamless as possible; I'll know how successful I was when I paint them. I also built all four in case I screwed one up or something.

After the base dried, I dry fit to see how well the turret base plate fit in the base:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_IV.jpg

Like a glove! Smooth operation of the traverse too! Of course I had to try it with the upper turret shell on too:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_V.jpg

WIP_Austratt_Turret_VI.jpg

Now, earlier a friend had mentioned that the holes in the trunnions needed to be reduced so that the guns will remain in whatever position I wanted to pose them in. Otherwise they would just remain fully depressed. He made one suggestion, but another friend and fellow IPMS club member mentioned another idea that I decided to try. I added some thin strips of styrene inside the loops so that the holes would tighten up:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_VII.jpg

It worked! The guns stay where I want them to!

Here is the whole turret fully assembled. Now it's ready for paint:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_IX.jpg

After that, I can start on the two 128mm twin AA guns that also come in this kit.

Well, that's all I have for this tour. I hope you enjoyed it. Feel free to comment and thanks all for stopping in!

Well, I don't know why this didn't get posted; I entered everything and submitted it yesterday! Oh well, here's my latest update in it's entirety...

Okay here's more progress on my way to getting some of these models finished. All this is armor so far, along with the turret, since these are all so close to the finish line.

First up is the Centurion. Here it is with the decals on:

WIP_British_Centurion_Mk3_XIV.jpg

You can see that I also added the tracks to this. Alexey at ACE has you push three tiny stubs through holes and melt the protruding ends to hold the tracks together. The only problem with that technique is that the stubs are too small and flexible to be pushed through such tiny holes. They never make it through the holes, so I pulled out my black tire glue and glued these together using that. I then glued the tracks to the wheels using the same glue.

Next I dullcoated this and added the skirts to this model:

WIP_British_Centurion_Mk3_XV.jpg

WIP_British_Centurion_Mk3_XVI.jpg

You can see the skirts were pre-weathered like the rest of the tank. After that, I went to add the machine gun to the top of the turret. However, the V-shaped part was far too delicate to remove it from the four large attachment points. The first cut with the newest, sharpest X-acto blade resulted in this:

WIP_British_Centurion_Mk3_XVIII.jpg

That did not bode well for any attempt to separate the rest of this part and I did not relish assembling four parts of this particular piece to mount the gun. So, I scratch-built a replacement. This is a bit out of scale, but it is sturdy and complete:

WIP_British_Centurion_Mk3_XVII.jpg

Afterwards, the gun got mounted; touchup painting was done and tools were added. Looks done right?

WIP_British_Centurion_Mk3_XIX.jpg

WIP_British_Centurion_Mk3_XX.jpg

No it isn't. I had realized that I hadn't 'dusted' the roadwheels to match the rest of the weathering so I went ahead and did that. Now I could call this tank done. Pics of it will be seen in the finished armor forums.

Moving on, I also added the decals to the B-1 Centauro:

WIP_ACE_Italian_Centauro_XI.jpg

WIP_ACE_Italian_Centauro_XIa.jpg

WIP_ACE_Italian_Centauro_XIb.jpg

Also, remember that huge shrink mark in the gun barrel? If not, check back a few posts; it's there. Well, it finally got fully fixed:

WIP_ACE_Italian_Centauro_XII.jpg

After that this model got the final wash and then dullcoat:

WIP_ACE_Italian_Centauro_XIII.jpg

WIP_ACE_Italian_Centauro_XIV.jpg

After doing some 'pre-weathering' on the wheels, I installed them on this vehicle:

WIP_ACE_Italian_Centauro_XV.jpg

WIP_ACE_Italian_Centauro_XVI.jpg

Some final 'dusting' later along with the Centurion, this beastie is done!

My next model I moved forward on was the little V-100 armored car. Here it is with the decals. I love that Budweiser logo!

WIP_US_V-100_Armored_Car_XI.jpg

WIP_US_V-100_Armored_Car_XIa.jpg

After that I 'pre-weathered' the tires with a reddish brown color to try and match the red clay of the 'Nam and mounted them up. I then dullcoated this and tried 'dusting' it. This was the closest I got to that red clay color:

WIP_US_V-100_Armored_Car_XII.jpg

WIP_US_V-100_Armored_Car_XIII.jpg

After that, I did some touchups on the details and then added the turret mounted .50 caliber Ma Deuce:

WIP_US_V-100_Armored_Car_XIV.jpg

Painting that Ma Deuce brought this over the finish line as well.

Moving on, I added the decals onto the Diamond T wrecker:

WIP_Diamond_T_Wrecker_XXII.jpg

WIP_Diamond_T_Wrecker_XXIII.jpg

I know the markings on this truck are fictitious. I wanted to build it as US Army truck but; despite having decals for at least three US Army trucks, they only gave you the schematic/layout for a Canadian truck. I spent hours looking online; trying to find pics of a Diamond T Wrecker sporting the numbers, codes, and (hopefully!) that armor logo on the front fender that were offered on the decal sheet. Nothing popped up at all that even remotely had any of the decal sheet codes on it. So, I just winged it and chose what I wanted. Later I can get another one and make it Canadian.

Later on I dullcoated this and then added the wheels to it. The four twin wheels on the back were a real bear to do given how delicate the attachment points were for those wheels! What a pain! I finally got them all cemented on:

WIP_Diamond_T_Wrecker_XXIV.jpg

WIP_Diamond_T_Wrecker_XXV.jpg

I had forgotten to mask the windows before dullcoating this again so I'll have to fix that. Also, the cab is still not glued down, which will help greatly in fixing the glass as the back wheels are still so delicate. The less I handle that chassis the better. There's a few more things I still need to do with that truck, so it's not quite finished yet.

One truck that did get finished is my Italian Trattore truck. I glossed this and added the decals to it:

WIP_Italian_Trattore_XI.jpg

WIP_Italian_Trattore_XII.jpg

You can see I also started the wash on it. I also noticed one of the tires cracked. Oh well...

Later this was dullcoated. I remembered the windows this time:

WIP_Italian_Trattore_XIII.jpg

I completed the tilt on this and then called it done.

After all that, I needed to finish up the Hell Cannons. All that was needed was to assemble and paint the ammo rounds that came in the kit. Here you can see that I assembled the smaller cannon's rounds by fitting them to the barrel and gluing them together. I later removed then from the barrel for painting:

WIP_Syrian_Hell_Cannon_XI.jpg

In this pic, you can see two of the rounds for the larger cannon too:

WIP_Syrian_Hell_Cannon_XII.jpg

I later painted them all and was able to declare the Hell Cannons done.

Finally I worked on the Austratt turret. First I tried to eliminate the seam on the base. This was my first attempt:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_XIV.jpg

My second attempt was a bit better. Pics of that forthcoming in another update.

Next, it was time to paint the turret itself. I started by removing the upper shell and hitting the guns and gun shields first:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_X.jpg

Next I carefully replaced the top and shot it with the green again:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_XI.jpg

Two thirds of the way through this I ran out of paint in the airbrush and re-mixed some more. It was too thin and ran badly. I tried smoothing it out but this was the result:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_XII.jpg

Story of my life! Every time I think I might succeed, something stupid like this happens! So, I soaked a paper towel in Airbrush Thinner and wiped it clean:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_XIII.jpg

Fresh, properly mixed paint went on after that! It still looks lumpy from debris left behind by the wipe down, but I think I can possibly fix it further. Pics forthcoming on that too.

This looks like a great place to finish off this update. Thank for looking in, comments are welcome.

Oh, and now that this is posted (I hope!) feel free to check out all the finished ones in the "Armoured Fury" Forums.

Well, it's been awhile thanks to being back to work on several home repair projects. Despite that, I did manage to get some progress done because of some time on the bench and Hobby Day.

I'll start with some aircraft.

This first on is the Grumman Duck I had started. I got the interior painted and the windows installed in the sides of the fuselage so it was time to close this bird up:

WIP_Grumman_Duck_III~0.jpg

This next one is an ancient USAirfix kit of the Widgeon floatplane. I got it for free, and since I started it at Hobby Day now I know why: No clear parts. Oh well, I started it anyway; adding the pilot to the interior:

WIP_Widgeon_Floatpane_II.jpg

Adding the side windows won't be an issue; doing the canopy is going to be interesting...

I went ahead and assembled the wing:

WIP_Widgeon_Floatpane_I.jpg

Followed by the engines:

WIP_Widgeon_Floatpane_III.jpg

I let them dry for a bit and while that was happening, I assembled the outrigger floats:

WIP_Widgeon_Floatpane_IV.jpg

Later on I added the engines to the wing. There's gonna be a ton of sanding to do on that:

WIP_Widgeon_Floatpane_V.jpg

Moving on to my Big Bird, I painted the cockpit and pilots on the Shinmeiwa:

WIP_Japanese_Shinmeiwa_II.jpg

Then I decided to move in and assemble the propellers. I had thought that I just needed to add the cones to the centers of the propellers, but no! Hasegawa had to do this to me:

WIP_Japanese_Shinmeiwa_Ia.jpg

Here's the first one assembled:

WIP_Japanese_Shinmeiwa_Ib.jpg

Finally, I got them all done and they are all hopefully the same direction:

WIP_Japanese_Shinmeiwa_Ic.jpg

I then went through the kit and assembled everything that was molded in two halves, starting with the wheels which I also painted:

WIP_Japanese_Shinmeiwa_IVa.jpg

I them realized on the instruction sheet that there were two version options on this plane in the kit. Using Google Translate on my phone, which told me to "paint [certain part} the color of the woman"(?!) I managed to somehow decipher enough "code" to determine which step was for which version. I had to cross certain steps out and edit the sheet to insure I don't mess this up too badly:

WIP_Japanese_Shinmeiwa_III.jpg

Moving on, I then assembled some more parts:

WIP_Japanese_Shinmeiwa_IVb.jpg

WIP_Japanese_Shinmeiwa_IVc.jpg

That's as far as I got with that.

I then pulled out my Redstone rocket and masked off the base where it needs to stay black:

WIP_Mercury_Redstone_IVa.jpg

WIP_Mercury_Redstone_IVb.jpg

I spent some time trying to polish this as well. Speaking of trying to polish, I spent quite a bit of time sanding the Mr. Surfacer and smoothing out the seams on my Atlas rocket:

WIP_Convair_Atlas_IIa.jpg

I took some time to make sure the lines were still scribed out:

WIP_Convair_Atlas_IIb.jpg

This part was the toughest:

WIP_Convair_Atlas_IIc.jpg

I made some progress in smoothing this out quite a bit, but I still have a long way to go to make this smooth enough for a metal finish:

WIP_Convair_Atlas_IId.jpg

My last little aircraft is an unusual kit I found of a Russian Troop carrying glider. I never knew they had them! I started with the interior. The two upright squares were for holding the benches, but since the benches wouldn't be seen, I decided to leave them off:

WIP_Russian_Glider_I.jpg

I then added the small windows and side doors to the fuselage halves. Here's a shot of them and the rest of the sprues:

WIP_Russian_Glider_II.jpg

I then assembled the wings. This plastic is interesting; fusing almost instantly with Tamiya Extra Thin. I don't really know why they used two different types of plastic:

WIP_Russian_Glider_III.jpg

I finally painted the interior of the fuselage and then assembled the fuselage together and added the tail feathers:

WIP_Russian_Glider_IV.jpg

I found that the fuselage halves were molded differently and didn't match the line of the canopy so I sanded it to form:

WIP_Russian_Glider_V.jpg

That's all my aircraft progress, now to show my armor. But first, here's some buildings/structures I was working on first. The base of the turret was primed with a grey primer to see how well I covered that seam. I'm not that happy with it:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_XV.jpg

I then pulled out the church and started to seal up the seams along the walls and the base and all the corners with acrylic putty:

WIP_Church_Building_VIIb.jpg

WIP_Church_Building_VIIa.jpg

WIP_Church_Building_VI~0.jpg

After all of that, I shot a grey primer all over the church too:

WIP_Church_Building_VIII.jpg

WIP_Church_Building_IX.jpg

I did notice the roof of the belfry is propped up. That's the let the bats out.

I also ordered a brand new cross for this from my church's bookstore/gift shop. I expect to have it in sometime two weeks from now.

Finally, I decided to make some extensive progress on my George Creed commemorative build. I assembled the cab, adding the photo etch to it too:

WIP_MAN_Pershing_V.jpg

WIP_MAN_Pershing_Va.jpg

Next I added the photo etch to the chassis and finished with a few more final detail parts:

WIP_MAN_Pershing_VI.jpg

Here's a shot of the cabin dry-fit to the chassis:

WIP_MAN_Pershing_VIa.jpg

I moved on to assemble the crane for this and later on I added that and other parts to the chassis and cab, dryfitting everything together:

WIP_MAN_Pershing_VII.jpg

WIP_MAN_Pershing_VIIa.jpg

Finally I finished the assembly of most of the trailer; adding the side platforms and other detail parts:

WIP_MAN_Pershing_VIII.jpg

After that I decided to dry fit the Pershing to the trailer to see how it looks:

WIP_MAN_Pershing_VIIIb.jpg

That's all I had for this week. I don't know if I'll be able to get anything done the next few weeks with all the work I have and the very high temps coming our way.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Nice! Is that church the Italeri kit? I just picked one of those up this weekend from a hobby shop down near Seattle that is closing.

I've got some ideas for it tumbling around in my mind...just not sure exactly how I'm going to tackle it yet.

Thanks Bob! I want to get the church painted up soon too. I'm still looking for some kind of colored acetate I can use to make a stained glass look in the windows.

Thanks Helios! Yes, this is the Italeri kit and it is a great kit that fits well. I didn't like the tiny cross for mine so I ordered one to replace it with. I should be getting it in about two more weeks. Meanwhile, I need to see about some stained glass. I'd love to know some of your ideas too; I might even try some on mine.

Here's my latest update for this week. I'll start with my one aircraft.

This is my Israeli Sufa in 1/72 scale. I finally got the canopy, exhaust and wheel wells masked off:

WIP_Israeli_F-16I_Sufa_VIIIc.jpg

WIP_Israeli_F-16I_Sufa_VIIId.jpg

Later, when I was painting everything, I shot an upper base color on this. It is Testor's Israeli Armor Sand:

WIP_Israeli_F-16I_Sufa_X.jpg

That base coat showed me where a lot of gaps and seams were so I filled them in:

WIP_Israeli_F-16I_Sufa_XI.jpg

WIP_Israeli_F-16I_Sufa_XII.jpg

I set that aside to dry and went to work on more stuff, this time ground based. While I had the airbrush out, I shot a new base coat on the Austratt turret:

WIP_Austratt_Turret_XVII.jpg

WIP_Austratt_Turret_XVIII.jpg

Finally! A smooth even coat of paint. Here it is on the "septic tank":

WIP_Austratt_Turret_XIX.jpg

Still while painting, I went ahead and masked off the windows on the MAN tractor for the Pershing II truck:

WIP_MAN_Pershing_XII.jpg

Next came the paint for the tractor and the trailer:

WIP_MAN_Pershing_XIII.jpg

WIP_MAN_Pershing_XIIIa.jpg

The front platform broke off; it has since been repaired. Meanwhile I pulled out a more OD color for the Pershing II itself:

WIP_MAN_Pershing_XIIIb.jpg

While still airbrushing, I shot a base coat of Panzer Schwartzgrua on the flat car. I thinned it a bit too much though:

WIP_German_80SSYS_Rail_Car_VI.jpg

Finally it was time to move ahead on the Nagmachon. I started by masking the tiny windows with Tamiya tape:

WIP_Israeli_Nagmachon_XIV.jpg

After that, I added all the extra fiddly bits and all the P/E screen mounting brackets. What a porcupine this has become:

WIP_Israeli_Nagmachon_XV.jpg

I then first shot it with a dark OD color as a base:

WIP_Israeli_Nagmachon_XVI.jpg

After that dried up, I shot another coat of Israeli Armor Sand over it to try and get some modulation out of it. That is a bit hard to see in these pics, but it's there:

WIP_Israeli_Nagmachon_XVII.jpg

WIP_Israeli_Nagmachon_XVIII.jpg

I also started the assembly of the tracks for this. They will go one later and then I plan on glossing this for a dirt wash and later dry-brush. The P/E screens will go on last.

After all that I wanted to start something simple and fun. I pulled out my AMT Space 1999 Hawk ship and got started on it. First were the engine pods:

WIP_Space_1999_Hawk_I.jpg

Next were the armament pods:

WIP_Space_1999_Hawk_II.jpg

Finally, the main engine halves got assembled:

WIP_Space_1999_Hawk_III.jpg

And that's as far as I got on all this so far. I have more to come after Friday and Saturday so stay tuned.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

I still don't like those F16s abused like that, like I told Eric, it's like putting Marilyn Monroe in a fat suit.

:popcorn

Thanks Mike. I shall soldier on, but only after getting this upcoming job done.

Bob, you're not wrong. Still, it's a different kinda model that I need in my Israeli Air Force so onward I go.

Now for my latest work I did at Hobby Day this past weekend. All this is armor and at least three of these are brand new models started during Hobby Day.

The one model I continued to work on was the twin 128mm AA guns that go with the Austratt turret. I did get the first of two barrels built:

WIP_Austratt_128mm_Gun_A_I.jpg

After doing the second one the same way, I then assembled the whole gun. It took awhile and had me highly frustrated due to the way the instructions aren't clear and the steps they tell you to do only make the assembly more difficult. I finally got most of this beastie completed:

WIP_Austratt_128mm_Gun_A_II.jpg

WIP_Austratt_128mm_Gun_A_III.jpg

This gun is almost ready for paint after a few more fiddly bits get installed.

After that I decided to try something different... hey, who left this engine lying around?

WIP_Bereg_Coastal_Defese_Gun_I.jpg

Okay, that above is the V-12 engine that goes to my Bereg Coastal Defense gun. There were fifteen parts on that I had to assemble to get that to this point. By this time, I was tired of tiny pieces so I jumped ahead and built the command and control cabin for this as well as the turret. Here is the turret all assembled. You can see the gun that goes on this in the background:

WIP_Bereg_Coastal_Defese_Gun_II.jpg

Here it is lined up behind the C&C cabin as it will be when installed on the chassis:

WIP_Bereg_Coastal_Defese_Gun_III.jpg

Next I pulled out the ACE BTR-3K and started on it. First I assembled the lower hull. There are five pieces that make this up:

WIP_Ukrainian_BTR-3K_I.jpg

Then came the upper hull. Three more pieces:

WIP_Ukrainian_BTR-3K_II.jpg

Here's the top sitting on the bottom. Putting these together will be interesting:

WIP_Ukrainian_BTR-3K_III.jpg

Finally I started another car; this one a Type 770 Cabriolet. I started of course, with the chassis. This was tough as the connection points were not clear in the instructions:

WIP_Type_770K_Cabriolet_F_I.jpg

After that I built the interior and the upper body. Here it is all together:

WIP_Type_770K_Cabriolet_F_II.jpg

Later I realized that the stance was not correct so I had to pull the front suspension off and rebuild it properly. I don't have pics of that, but this little car is almost ready for paint.

That's all I managed to get done on Hobby Day Friday and Saturday. I was surprised at how well I did given everything that was going on both those days.

This will probably be the last update for a couple weeks due to the start of a fairly large job so enjoy!

Thanks for looking in; comments are welcome.

The Production Goes Ever Onward!!...got some real interesting subjects this time around...:soldier...and Maybe I like them....ah...chubby.. :blink

Back