• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Maddog Manufacturing Production in 2019

Eight-wheeled trucks, DAMN.
Keep up the great work.
Can't wait to see more progress.
Frank

PS, Thanks for the compliment on the Hueys.
The second one should be done this week if I can get to the bench.
:notworthy

Thanks Frank! Yeah,. I figured I might as well get as many of them built as I can given their size and complexity. I want them out of the stash and on the shelf as they take up less space built than their boxes do. Stay tuned, I should be getting more done this week.

You're welcome on the compliments to your helicopters. They are truly works of art. I need to get further along on mine too. I'll be looking forward to progress on yours.

Warren, thanks for the instructions in .pdf. I'm looking forward to making progress on that Shinmeiwa. I want that one built too.

Here is my latest progress done at Hobby Day and a few days before and after. I was very happy with how much I got done.

I'll start with my aircraft; or in this case, helicopters.

I finished painting the interior for the HUP-2, so once I get the windows in the fuselage, I'll be able to close this little bird up:

WIP_US_Navy_HUP_2_II.jpg

I also got the interior painted on the Huey Hog. This one will be able to be closed up after I apply the instrument panel decals and then install the windows as well:

WIP_German_UH-1_Huey_Hog_II.jpg

Now here is the work I did on the Gotha I bought from my friend. He had already assembled the booms and the wings, so I started with the cockpit... such as it is:

WIP_German_Gothat_Go-242_I.jpg

This model gives the option of making this plane a glider or a powered transport aircraft. I decided that since I haven't got this in powered form yet, I'll build it with engines:

WIP_German_Gothat_Go-242_III.jpg

As those were drying, I then added the engine nacelle parts to the wings that will hold those engines and the booms:

WIP_German_Gothat_Go-242_II.jpg

That's as far as I got on that. After all that I moved on to my armor.

The first thing I did was to paint the base tan color on the deck of my railroad flatcar. Later I'll try to make this look more like wood:

WIP_German_80SSYS_Rail_Car_VII.jpg

Next I decided to move forward on more of the Aerosans for the Treasure Train game that I'd been "threatening" to put on for a year now. I had one already half built so I assembled the engine and added it to the body to finish it up and have it ready for paint:

WIP_Game_Sleds_XII.jpg

After that, I started the last one I have in my stash. I do need to buy a few more....

Anyway, I got that one half done before I realized I left all the engine parts at home. Still, it is started at least, and the engine will be easy to get finished and mounted on this. Here is the last one next to the finished on I just did:

WIP_Game_Sleds_XIII.jpg

Moving on from there, I next decided that the T-15 Armata was calling my name too loudly so I got started on that one. First thing I did was to build the turret. That went fast:

WIP_Russian_T-15_Armata_IV.jpg

Next I added the detail parts to the upper hull. There wasn't too much to add, so this went fast as well:

WIP_Russian_T-15_Armata_I.jpg

After that I assembled the lower hull. I'm really thrilled at how well this model fits together:

WIP_Russian_T-15_Armata_II.jpg

Finally, I test fit everything together sans turret. This is one big beastie! Check this out:

WIP_Russian_T-15_Armata_III.jpg

I did stop there but I was having so much fun with this Zvezda kit that I pulled out the Terminator to finish up a bit more. The first thing I did was to assemble the rocket tubes and mount them on the turret:

WIP_Russian_Terminator_VII.jpg

They are pretty fiddly and will make turning that turret a bit hard. Moving on, I finished up adding the bogies and roadwheels to the lower hull:

WIP_Russian_Terminator_VIII.jpg

I also added the side skirts and other detail parts to the upper hull as well:

WIP_Russian_Terminator_IX.jpg

Putting the upper and power hull together looks great, this vehicle is now ready for paint:

WIP_Russian_Terminator_X.jpg

WIP_Russian_Terminator_XI.jpg

After that, I moved on to the final steps I needed to do to finish my Nagmachon. All the photo etch radar antennae, stowage fences, fenders and anti-RPG bar armor was installed:

WIP_Israeli_Nagmachon_XXV.jpg

WIP_Israeli_Nagmachon_XXVI.jpg

After some touch up to the paint and adjustment to some of the photo-etch screens, I can declare this thing done. Pics of that are forthcoming later....

After that, I just wanted to build and/or paint. Since I wanted to move forward on some of my eight-wheeled trucks, I pulled them out and chose the AA-60 fire truck first.

While cleaning the seam on the end of the tank, I ended up cutting a big hole in the end of it!

WIP_Russian_AA-60_Fire_Truck_VII.jpg

Out came the sheet styrene and some squares were cut. The first one went on the holed end:

WIP_Russian_AA-60_Fire_Truck_VIIa.jpg

To make this look better, I added the other square to the opposite end:

WIP_Russian_AA-60_Fire_Truck_VIIb.jpg

I then trimmed the excess off with a pair of scissors:

WIP_Russian_AA-60_Fire_Truck_VIIc.jpg

...and some careful sanding later, I have a smooth finish on each end:

WIP_Russian_AA-60_Fire_Truck_VIId.jpg

Next, because the end plates on the main body were not fashioned properly to fit without major gaps; I used more of that sheet styrene to plug the ends:

WIP_Russian_AA-60_Fire_Truck_VIII.jpg

After some additional assembly, I then cemented the lower body and the forward engine cabin to the chassis. I then snapped the tank in for now. Here's how it looks so far:

WIP_Russian_AA-60_Fire_Truck_IX.jpg

Well, that was enough of fighting that. I then pulled out one of the KZKT truck cabs and started to assemble the interior:

WIP_Russian_KZMT_Heavy_Cargo_Truck_III.jpg

Next I added the axles to the chassis:

WIP_Russian_KZMT_Heavy_Cargo_Truck_IV.jpg

Additional detail parts went on, such as the fuel tanks on the side. I also checked to be sure the wheels all line up and sit properly:

WIP_Russian_KZMT_Heavy_Cargo_Truck_IVa.jpg

I then painted the interior of the cab:

WIP_Russian_KZMT_Heavy_Cargo_Truck_V.jpg

Here's how the cab looks all assembled. I only snapped the outer cab on the interior:

WIP_Russian_KZMT_Heavy_Cargo_Truck_VI.jpg

Now that was for the KZKT Heavy Truck. I also worked on the MAZ heavy Truck, starting with the axles and fuel tanks on that chassis:

WIP_Russian_MAZ_Heavy_Cargo_Truck_III.jpg

The MAZ has that split cab and so I assembled and painted the interiors for both sides:

WIP_Russian_MAZ_Heavy_Cargo_Truck_IV.jpg

And that is where I had to stop due to Hobby Day being over and all the work I've been doing this past week. Hopefully I'll have more to show soon.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are always welcome.

Got some great subjects there Duke. They should add nicely to the collection.
:v

Nice builds there Duke.

What do you use to attach the PE slat armour? I'm thinking about getting some PE ships rails for my 1/600 scale warships but would like to have a good idea as to what I'd need to attachem to the plastic hulls with.

Thanks and cheers.

You're a wonder Duke!!!!!

Nobody can build as fast and as steady as you!!!

Lookin' great! Love that Magnathon!!!!!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Thanks TB! The glue I use the most for attaching P/E is Kenny Loup's Gator Grip Glue. It's got fantastic sheer strength and is very flexible. It can be difficult to get the parts to hold in place though, but one tip I know is to apply the glue; count to about 10 and then add the part. By then it is usually tacky enough to hold it until it dries; and it still gives time for adjustments as necessary. Also, Kenny's glue is water soluble so if you add too much, you can wet a brush and apply it to the excess glue and wipe it away.

Thanks Ian! I do like to mix it up a bit to keep everything fresh.

Thanks Bob! I appreciate your comments so much, especially considering how well you build all those architectural wonders so fast and steady. You honor me. Stay tuned, I hope to have more to post soon.

Thanks TB! The glue I use the most for attaching P/E is Kenny Loup's Gator Grip Glue. It's got fantastic sheer strength and is very flexible. It can be difficult to get the parts to hold in place though, but one tip I know is to apply the glue; count to about 10 and then add the part. By then it is usually tacky enough to hold it until it dries; and it still gives time for adjustments as necessary. Also, Kenny's glue is water soluble so if you add too much, you can wet a brush and apply it to the excess glue and wipe it away.

Thanks Ian! I do like to mix it up a bit to keep everything fresh.

Thanks Bob! I appreciate your comments so much, especially considering how well you build all those architectural wonders so fast and steady. You honor me. Stay tuned, I hope to have more to post soon.

Thanks Duke.

I wonder if that glue is available up here in the Great White North?

Cheers

If it is not, then you can order it directly from Kenny at gatorsmasks.com. However, I would wait. Kenny has already warned about how the cold affects the glue while in transit; it ain't pretty. Best to wait till spring, or you can contact him to see if any local shops carry it. I know Brookhurst out here carries it, but again, shipping across to you in the winter will cause it to freeze and break down; rendering it unusable.

If it is not, then you can order it directly from Kenny at gatorsmasks.com. However, I would wait. Kenny has already warned about how the cold affects the glue while in transit; it ain't pretty. Best to wait till spring, or you can contact him to see if any local shops carry it. I know Brookhurst out here carries it, but again, shipping across to you in the winter will cause it to freeze and break down; rendering it unusable.

Hi there Duke.

I REALLY appreciate you telling me about the cold affecting that glue. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Now that the Thanksgiving holiday is over, I'll show you the small amount of progress I managed to make during the holiday weekend. I don't expect much replies given the small update, but personally I'm very thrilled with the progress I made. So sit back and enjoy this latest tour of Maddog Manufacturing...

I'll start with the unexpected setback I had when I was preparing to paint the interiors of my Russian truck cabs. I didn't use much pressure and I sure wasn't gripping this too hard, but this is what happened anyway:

BUSTED_IV.jpg

Fortunately I had another bottle of that same paint which had been used so I was able to filter the remaining paint from the broken jar into the other one:

BUSTED_IVa.jpg

So, after that was done I painted the seats on the interior of some of the trucks. While they dried, I pulled out my German railroad flatcar which I'd already painted with a light tan. I then gave it a heavy dark brown wash:

WIP_German_80SSYS_Rail_Car_VIII.jpg

After that, I decided I didn't want to work on axles and bogies so I started another German Cabriolet car from ACE. I started with the chassis/undercarriage. I got only a little progress when one of the springs shot out of the tweezers and disappeared. After spending too much time searching, I said 'screw it!' and cut a piece of sprue to the same length as the first spring. While sizing that and getting it ready to glue; it snapped off and disappeared. A second one also did. Finally, the third one went on:

WIP_German_Cabriolet_I.jpg

That's it. I was done with that! It ain't gonna be seen with the wheel on anyway!

Axles and bogies didn't look so bad after that ordeal!

So, I pulled out the MAZ tractor and assembled all the axles and installed them and other bits to the chassis:

WIP_Russian_MAZ_Tractor_Trailer_III.jpg

Next it called for installing the main driver's cabin and the one behind it. So, I assembled the whole cabin and then mounted that on the chassis. That did present some issues, but it went on well, along with the rear cab:

WIP_Russian_MAZ_Tractor_Trailer_IV.jpg

Another shot from slightly above:

WIP_Russian_MAZ_Tractor_Trailer_IVa.jpg

And of course, I just had to shoot this whole thing with the trailer behind it:

WIP_Russian_MAZ_Tractor_Trailer_V.jpg

That went well. So, I pulled out my KZKT Heavy truck and moved forward on that. Since I'd already had the cab built for this, I installed it onto the chassis along with the rear cab and the cargo bed:

WIP_Russian_KZMT_Heavy_Cargo_Truck_VII.jpg

WIP_Russian_KZMT_Heavy_Cargo_Truck_VIIa.jpg

After that, I pulled out my MAZ Heavy truck. Since I had already had the axles installed on the chassis of this truck, I went to work installing the cabin. This time I decided to try assembling it the way the instructions showed. This required me to cement the rear cab first, then add the two forward interior sub-assemblies to each side of the chassis. It took some doing getting them lined up and straight, given there were no attachment points on the chassis for these parts. Finally, I got them done well enough. Here it is with the exterior cab shell in front of it:

WIP_Russian_MAZ_Heavy_Cargo_Truck_V.jpg

Finally when that was dry, I slid the exterior cab shell over it and cemented everything in place. I then added the rear cargo bed too. It was slightly harder to do the driver's cab this way than the way I did it: assembling the full driver's cab all the way before installing it. You can see where I had to add some filler to a couple very small seams:

WIP_Russian_MAZ_Heavy_Cargo_Truck_VI.jpg

Those three trucks are now ready for P/E detail parts and then paint, along with my BMPT Terminator.

Finally I was getting tired of the Leopold rail gun sitting around my workbench. It was time to get it finished. So, I pulled it out and assembled the interior elevating mechanism:

WIP_Leopold_Railgun_VIc.jpg

Later I had to install that and several bulkheads inside of the interior main gun carriage. That took some fiddling around and fighting parts to line up; widening holes and trying to keep things from breaking as I assembled this interior. Finally I fought this to a standstill:

WIP_Leopold_Railgun_VIII.jpg

And just to show you how big this is, here's a shot of it next to an Exacto knife:

WIP_Leopold_Railgun_VIIIa.jpg

After assembling this, I had to slip it inside the exterior gun carriage superstructure and hopefully it would sit right so the top plate would go on solid. Of course it didn't. So, I started gluing and clamping this on one end to get it to sit right:

WIP_Leopold_Railgun_VIIIb.jpg

After much fussing and fighting and more clamps later, I got it all glued and clamped together to fit right(I hope!!!):

WIP_Leopold_Railgun_VIIIc.jpg

That's three hours of my time I won't get back!

After that, I pulled out my flex-i-file and sanded the seams of the main gun. Once that was done well enough, I just had to dry it it to the previous assembly to see how it looked:

WIP_Leopold_Railgun_VIIId.jpg

And that is everything I got done over the past four or five days in between baking pies, shopping with the wife, singing with my choir, and attending the in-law's for Thanksgiving dinner; then more shopping with the wife and more singing in the choir.... Wow, imagine how much I could have done if my wife had been working....

Anyway, that completes my short update. Feel free to comment; they are always welcome and motivating. Thanks for looking in.

Thanks Bob! I am trying so hard to get some of these long-term projects moving faster. I really want to finish a lot of them before the end of the year. Stay tuned, I might have some more to post in a few days.

Thanks again for the compliment!

Good to see the factory floor back in full swing...but WOW never seen a bottle of paint come apart like that...crazy :blink .
:v

Thanks Eric! I do hope to ramp up production a bit more. Hopefully this week will see quite a bit more progress. Yeah, that was a spectacular break, but I've had that happen before. A couple times I even cut myself when it broke. I caught a break this time when I came away unscathed.

Mark, that is a fantastic amount of work done for the year. Its hard to figure that paint jar shattering like that. There was probably a defect in the jar itself, and when you used the pliers on the lid, was just enough pressure to break the jar. Good thing you had the spare jar and could transfer the remainder to it. Good thing nothing was damaged or hurt in the process. How are you doing, since you had your hand injury a while back. I saw the picture of all your projects you took to the IPMS Nationals, and I must say, that is an impressive display. Good luck, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Dave

Thank you Dave! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well. I agree about the paint jar; it gave far too easily, giving me no advanced warning it was about to fail. Oh well, it's done and the paint was saved. I've since used it to paint the interior seats of four Russian trucks already. And my hand is quite fine; I'd almost forgotten about that. Thank you for asking.

As for progress; I guess I did do alot, but I feel I haven't finished nearly as much as I expected to. Then again, I was working far more than usual and did take a month-long trip in August. I'm glad you saw the models I brought to Chattanooga; one day maybe you'll be able to see them all in person. That collection numbered 750 pieces and I'm well on my way to 1000.... :blink :woohoo: :ro:

Stay in touch my friend!

Back