• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV/70 Complete!

Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV/70 (V) Lang

Nifty! Will the gun traverse & elevate when the kit is finished?

Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV/70 (V) Lang

It does now, but if you add the crew, Tamiya says it won't any more. :idonno I really don't care if the gun articulates but it will look funny if I don't add the seats and leave hatches open.

Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV/70 (V) Lang Tracks and Such

Since I'll be using Magic Tracks, I decided to paint and weather the lower hull prior to installation. The road wheels were primed, painted with red oxide primer and the centers painted with the camo colors, allowing the red oxide to show between the wheels. I dry brushed the wheels with a dusty Humbrol color (72, I think) to bring out the damaged tires.

h1535c9f.JPG

hf7cf0c0.JPG

h7388d62.JPG

The sprocket teeth were painted with Model Air Gunmetal.

I shot several light coats of Dunkelgelb on the lower hull and let it dry, I then pulled out the oils and did a quickie dot filter to get some streaks going.

hc08aead.JPG

Blending the oils with odorless paint thinner is easy and effective. Moving on, I splashed some mud and dirt effects around the hull, using an old brush and a tooth pick. Takes a little practice to hit where you want it to go. If you don't like the pattern, you can use a dry brush to remove some material after it dries fully, leaving a cool,dusty effect.

h49a27fc.JPG

h89f2671.JPG

The Dragon Magic tracks from a Panzer IV are a perfect fit for the Tamiya running gear, so I put on the tunes and cranked out two sets. I use Testors Liquid Cement to bind the links, waiting about ten minutes for it to set up and then carefully wrapping the track run around the wheels. 98 links per side gave a nice, well adjusted look to the tracks.

h2d8de97.JPG

h1380ae8.JPG

h4f253c5.JPG

h7331d2a.JPG

This set of tracks is handed, the dark ones go on the left side. Leaving the ends unglued, the runs can be removed for paint and weathering. The sprocket keeps everything in place, just be sure not to get any glue on the last two links.

I will have another update later today, thanks for coming by!

:drinks

:coolio...NICELY DONE!!!... (y)
:popcorn

Wooo...haven't seen a real dot filter done in a long time. :popcorn

Looks like you are chugging along well Mike!

Nice job!

I considered this kit years ago when Tony had his SPG build, looks like a good one!

I'll never build another tank kit again though!

Looks like you are chugging along well Mike!

Nice job!

I considered this kit years ago when Tony had his SPG build, looks like a good one!

I'll never build another tank kit again though!

Thanks Warren! Never is a long time, however. :laugh:

Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV/70 (V) Lang Base Color

Yesterday went by way too fast, so I didn't get the update I promised posted. The tracks were primed,then painted with Tamiya Flat Brown and allowed to dry. I found a tip that suggested painting the polished wear on the track face, so I used some Model Air Gunmetal to simulate that. After the gunmetal had dried, I wet the track with odorless mineral spirits and tapped a mixture of pigment over the track.

h6521027.JPG

h24f6df8.JPG

This dries pretty fast, I then used a stiff brush to remove the pigment from the silver. In the past, I've tried to add polish metal pigments, with mixed results. Having the tracks off the vehicle allows support of the links while you are messing with them. Once you're satisfied, the tracks slip back on.

hde8f988.JPG

hf65f412.JPG

So this morning is cool and calling for rain, so I decided to get the base coat down. Applying several coats of Real Color Dunkelgelb RC061, the upper hull is looking good.

h635fc73.JPG

I left the rear skirts loose. so I could paint the rear deck more easily. I shot them with some of the dunkelgelb and wanted to hit the other side, so I went to my wife's hair dryer to speed things up. BIG mistake! The Tamiya skirts are pretty thin and one went shrinky dink on me! SO, I made a template from the "non modified" piece on a business card and made a new one from .015 plastic card.

hdea756c.JPG

Talk about a Homer Simpson moment! At that point, I decided not to push my luck with further painting. This has been a fun little kit, I'm really glad I could have it during my vacation. It's nice to have something you can really dig into and have results.

Thanks for coming by, there's a lot more to come.

:drinks

Interesting tracks. Sort of looks like they used rebar for some of the parts .

Cheers, Christian B)

Did you set it together and test drive the L70 any? Seems prudent.
:ro:
:good:

Tracks look great, just call battle damage on the skirts. :soldier

:idonno Is it 'weird' that I really enjoy painting the steel parts of the tracks almost more than any other part of the build... ???

Ian.

Other than parts flying off to the afterlife your really making short work of this kit...its looking sweet for sure!
:v

Back