• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

TOOL TIME - Restoring a Vacuum table -"Done"

TOOL TIME - Restoring a Vacuum table for resin use

Great job there! wish i had something like that to when pouring resin :woohoo:

Just a quick update (not really enough for photos) Got the horrible Rustoleum hammered paint stripped off the front and sides with some aircraft stripper. There was no way that crap was going to sand down. It only wanted to roll off like vinyl eraser stubble. :facepalm

The paint stripper took about 90 minutes and it is down to bare metal/original paint (which does sand somewhat) I will be getting back on it soon but another project for work has popped up.

I am going to have to make a cabinet out of aluminum extrusion and acrylic sheet to go around our two watch cleaning machines. It has to be done by the 1st week in November. Mostly it is cut the extrusion to wanted lengths, drill holes for a LOT of #4-40 flat head screws and tap the holes in the inside aluminum parts. (not really that hard, just use a fair amount of oil)

If any of you want to see how I do it, I will take photos and make some drawings. It will have a bit of a fine boiler plate look (which really looks decent BTW) The same construction could be done for large build enclosures. :hmmm

If any of you want to see how I do it, I will take photos and make some drawings. It will have a bit of a fine boiler plate look (which really looks decent BTW) The same construction could be done for large build enclosures. :hmmm

Heck Yeah; learnin' is universal. May be able to apply your techniques to a project I have in mind :eek:ldguy

This has been on hold for quite a while and has had the following logo.

testpattern2.gif

Well in an attempt to get some of my build mojo back I started working on it a couple of weeks ago. Just about have all the bottom wood remade and heavily stained and coated.

No pics yet, I have been focusing on building and it is HOT outside now.

To this point I have done:

[ol]
[li]Reworked the entire top wood, gauge, and vacuum platform.[/li]
[li]Worked out the dents in the cabinet, used a small amount of filler to smooth and added paint.[/li]
[li]Finally gotten enough courage to fire up my dad's old table saw and cut wood. (No, that isn't like cutting wind) :stinker [/li]
[li]Built the supports out of oak, added casters and stained/coated the new bottom panel and frames.[/li]
[li]Cut about an inch off of the motor shaft as it was way too long and was rubbing the inside of the rear cabinet.[/li]
[li]Cleaned said motor as it was way covered with crud[/li]
[/ol]

Things I still need to do:

[ol]
[li]Reassemble the base part and lower cabinet.[/li]
[li]Tear down the vacuum pump make sure it is all good, check and replace seals and reassemble.[/li]
[li]Redo the vacuum lines and am thinking about adding in a Mason Jar crap trap filter before the pump.[/li]
[li]Add some new wiring that will be safer and better mounted.[/li]
[/ol]

The only thing on the to-do list that will be a challenge will be the pump rebuild. Thing is this beast was made in the late '40's so it was made to be rebuilt. That and the pump gets filled with oil so it should be ok.

I will post the photos when I get them put together.

Turns out I had some photos of the paintwork on the metal cabinet so here they are. Much improved though once the paint was all on and glossy, you could see a couple of small dents I missed.

Vac-Table-015.jpg

Vac-Table-016.jpg

Vac-Table-017.jpg

Vac-Table-018a.jpg

Vac-Table-019.jpg

No photos of the wood work yet.

OK, I am making some progress here now. Finished up the lower wood and have the motor plate all mounted and ready. might need to remove it yet to mount the vac pump when it is done, but so far so good, and looking good!

Vac-Table-020.jpg

Vac-Table-021.jpg

Vac-Table-022.jpg

Vac-Table-023.jpg

Vac-Table-024.jpg

Vac-Table-025.jpg

Vac-Table-026.jpg

Vac-Table-027.jpg

Vac-Table-028.jpg

Vac-Table-029.jpg

Vac-Table-030.jpg

Vac-Table-031.jpg

Finally have it at the point where I am putting things back together. :yipee

That's cool Paul, you could start your own refinishing channel :popcorn

Superb.

You're a true craftsman.

Is that B & D Workmate newish? I still use the one my Grandfather bought me in the mid 70s.

Superb.

You're a true craftsman.

Is that B & D Workmate newish? I still use the one my Grandfather bought me in the mid 70s.

The Workmate came from my dad after he passed. He made a wooden top for it which works fairly well. I know he had it for many years as well as a smaller table top unit.

Now that the externals are mostly done I get to finish the internals. Hopefully the vane type vac pump will clean up well and won't need any major parts. I looked around on the internet last night and similar items are quite pricey. :blink

Not really been on the bench much but this is coming along well. Shouldn't be too much longer before I can try it out and pull a vacuum under the bell jar. Debating about replacing the plastic grab handle on the front door and maybe the 2 flippers for switching it on and open/close the vent for the air.

We will see.

For now I finally tore open the actual vacuum pump. It is a vane type de-compressor and as most things back in the 40's was built to last. Mostly...

Ended up being a good thing I had to get into it as there were some major problems that would have really messed it up if I had run it. So far though it is coming along and I should have the pump together this week.

Vac-Table-032.jpg

Vac-Table-033.jpg

Vac-Table-034.jpg

Vac-Table-035.jpg

Vac-Table-036.jpg

Vac-Table-037.jpg

Vac-Table-038.jpg

Now that the case hole is opened up I get to try and fit a watch crystal to it. Might have to epoxy it in place or if I am lucky I might find a crystal gasket that fits the new hole with a matching crystal. Press them in place and good to go. We shall see.

I haven't been doing much model building lately but at least this is coming together. It was worked on when I first obtained it back in 2016 and am now hitting it again hard so it has come off the shelf and I am on my way to getting it back together. I am going to revise the plumbing on it and make it a little better filtering for the pump. I didn't like what I found in the screen area inside the pump case. (60 years of crud)

For now the pump and been gone through and redone. The motor has been cleaned up but otherwise left as is. All the lower mounting wood has been replaced and the bed for the motor and pump has been mounted a lot more solidly than originally. In addition the cabinet can now be rolled around easily.

Here are the next batch of photos and steps.

Vac-Table-039.jpg

Vac-Table-040.jpg

Vac-Table-041.jpg

Vac-Table-042.jpg

Vac-Table-043.jpg

Vac-Table-044.jpg

Vac-Table-045.jpg

The AC Entry Module is a really good thing. Really didn't like how the old cord went through a small hole and was starting to get a little worn. Don't need it shorting out.

As to keeping at it, I have managed to just plan ahead, just a little and get something done on it almost every day. I am finding it a little amazing that it is now this far along. All that is really left is the electrical and redoing the plumbing which is already planned in my head and should be much better than the original setup.

So what is the address that we send our moulds to to be casted?

Lookin sharp!

Thanks guys! The heat here the last week is like the Louisiana swamps. There has been a lot of rain and once it hits 90 it is like a sauna outside.

Kinda of have the location to make the holes, just have to make and print out the pattern and go to it. Maybe some evening after work this week. Once it is done I will wire it back up, fill the pump with oil and fire it up to help get the pump broken back in a little.

I have been working on this steadily these last few weeks except when I was at Chattanooga. Just now have taken some time to do a big update. It is getting close and I have managed to do a quick test of the pump to see if it could pull a vacuum like it should. Simply ran a piece of heater hose from the pump to the vac gauge and turned it on. It pulled the vacuum all the way to 28.5 and sat there till I bumped the gauge and it jumped to 29. I guess that is good enough. :D

Anyway there were a bunch of steps leading up to that and more since, so here it is.

Vac-Table-046.jpg

Vac-Table-047.jpg

Vac-Table-048.jpg

Vac-Table-049.jpg

Vac-Table-050.jpg

Vac-Table-051.jpg

Vac-Table-052.jpg

Vac-Table-053.jpg

Vac-Table-054.jpg

Vac-Table-055.jpg

Vac-Table-056.jpg

Vac-Table-057.jpg

Vac-Table-058.jpg

Vac-Table-059.jpg

Vac-Table-060.jpg

Vac-Table-061.jpg

It is getting quite close now I just have to solder up 5 more joints with some measurements with the table set in the cabinet first. A couple of mounts for the filter and tubing to the underside of the table top. And a little hardware I just ordered needs to come in. Then will come the "BIG TEST" and hopefully it won't be one of these :bang head situations.

Back