• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

TOOL TIME - Restoring a Vacuum table -"Done"

TOOL TIME - Restoring a Vacuum table for resin use

Looks great Paul, I don't think I've seen prettier soldering on a copper pipe. (y)

It just that it takes a LOT of heat to get it to go. I cleaned off the little extra that ended up dripping and worked to get it to flow well and seal.

One thing that is amazing is just how strong this tubing is. :hmmm

So will the missing prop blade be the first under the dome? :popcorn

Maybe, though I thought it might be smart to contact Silver Wings, explain the situation, and ask about a replacement first.

I'm thinking you really wanted to be a plumber :idonno

Looking good, nice progress

I have been keeping busy on this and today assembled the top to the pump and fired it all up. The mechanical parts are together and working. Tested it and had to do some trouble shooting. Turned out the hose clamps were the main problem, not tight enough. I also found that the part going to the bell jar platform wasn't tight enough either. Here are some photos of how things have gone together.

Vac-Table-062.jpg

Vac-Table-063.jpg

Vac-Table-064.jpg

Vac-Table-065.jpg

Vac-Table-066.jpg

Vac-Table-067.jpg

Vac-Table-068.jpg

Vac-Table-069.jpg

I still have a few detail items and finishing touches to do but the majority of things are finished.

Paul why is it rubber in there? Do you think that rubber is going to degrade over time and collapse in other spots?

If you are talking about the curved hose, it attaches to the square plate that the bell jar sets on. That plate is on springs and moves up and down a bit. The rubber hose allows that. The aluminum tube pieces fill the curved tube entirely and will keep it from collapsing. It will close in a little, but not flattened like it shows in the photo. The table can still float freely and deaden the vibrations from the motor and pump. The other short connections are fully supported by the copper tubing.

It is basically done now I just need to refinish the main id plate on the front door and make some labels for the power and vacuum release. I have moved it in from the garage and now it is time to pick up the mess (so I can find all my tools etc.)

Almost done, YAY!
Minion_Gallery.gif

Hey Paul, this project is looking great and you really did some fantastic work restoring that old table.

I had a thought while reading through this for you and Jeff. At my work, I use 2-part epoxy resin (Araldite resin and hardener) to embed small organic structures from fish for ageing purposes ( fish ear bones or "otoliths" and shark vertebrae).

We have issues with small bubbles in the resin as well but have used a sonicator bath to eliminate the bubbles before pouring the resin into the molds. I simply mix up the resin and hardener, sonicate it in the bath for a few minutes and it does eliminate most or all of the bubbles. Just wondering if that might be a step to include in the process in the future.

Hey Warren thanks for looking in.

I'm not sure what a sonicator is, but how this works is that under vacuum any small air bubbles greatly enlarge and pop out of the resin. I am sure it would work well for what you do as well since you do the process before embedding the samples. I am not sure if it would be something you could do after embedding as I don't know how the samples would react to vacuum being applied to them.

Anyway, am almost done, have the little plaque redone that will go on the front and will attach it this weekend. Still not sure what I will do about the labeling though. Several things I could do, just not sure which I will choose.

Hey Warren thanks for looking in.

I'm not sure what a sonicator is, but how this works is that under vacuum any small air bubbles greatly enlarge and pop out of the resin. I am sure it would work well for what you do as well since you do the process before embedding the samples. I am not sure if it would be something you could do after embedding as I don't know how the samples would react to vacuum being applied to them.

Anyway, am almost done, have the little plaque redone that will go on the front and will attach it this weekend. Still not sure what I will do about the labeling though. Several things I could do, just not sure which I will choose.

A sonicator is just a water bath that uses sound energy to agitate samples. We use it for cleaning particles off samples and removing air bubbles. I had just thought that it might be something to suggest to remove air from the resin before it is poured into a mold before being put in the vacuum table.

:)

As the pump is able to pull down 29 inches of mercury (I am guessing that is what the gauge is reading) The air bubbles should expand to huge and pop. It should also pull all the air out of nooks and crannies then let the resin fully settle down into all the mold parts. Then release the vacuum and let air back in and the normal air pressure will push the resin all the way down into the mold. I have a couple of little tests I want to do for demonstrations, one will be to take a small balloon and put it under the bell jar and see how it expands as the pressure is reduced. (balloon will probably pop). Not surebwhat else I can or will do, as I have said with other tools, it's not what I am planning to do with it, but what it allows me to plan.

I am calling the Vacuum table done. It could still use some decal labels for the power switch and vacuum release, but that will be for another time. It is fully functional, looks decent and it is time to get on to something else.

No in addition while cleaning up my enormous mess, I decided to finally fix the watch demagnetizer I have here at the house. It is really an ancient unsafe design as it could easily be shorted or you could get a nasty little shock. It became one of those spur of the moment things I had been pondering for a long while. It was time to just dig into and "Git-R-Done". You will see what I mean by unsafe in the photos.

Vac-Table-070.jpg

Vac-Table-071.jpg

Vac-Table-072.jpg

Vac-Table-073.jpg

This following project was one that had been in planning for a long while. Whenever I needed to use it extreme care had to be used to keep from shorting it or shocking myself. Finally I just did it, a short but sweet little job.

Vac-Table-074.jpg

Vac-Table-075.jpg

Vac-Table-076.jpg

Vac-Table-077.jpg

Vac-Table-078.jpg

With these 2 projects finally done, I can get back to the bench in a proper way. One of the things I will be wanting to use the Vac table for will be to make some resin castings for the old Falcon build.

First though I have a review build I am going to be doing. A brand new kit meets some brand new paint. A double review!

Thanks for looking in and all your kind comments. In some ways it was a throwback to the 80's when I collected vintage VW's. Got a lot of practice and know how from those days, then the big "D" came along and messed everything up.

It felt good to actually finish up a big project for a change and the little one went very quickly. Helps the Mojo a lot.

Back