• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry-- Jeeves-- Tamiya VW Staff Car

Jeeves

I am going post-apocalyptic with this to go along with a build over at SMA...thus the Warhammer parts in the box ;)

011%7E8.jpg

Well...got some work done on this today. If I were to build this one as is, I'd have it built and painted in a day! But-- I plan on taking my time and having some fun! Put a primer coat using a can of Rustoleum paint...normally I'd expect this stuff to be all grainy-- but this stuff went down smooth...the closeups show some texture-- but that is the hairspray.

I am trying a couple different weathering techniques here...some salt, some hairspray, etc...trying to decide how best to recreate a little rust texture...any ideas?? What would I add to the Mig Rust powder I have to give it a little texture? Trying to decide what layer I want the dab of salt technique I'll be adding to show through...sigh!

So- far-- here is some primer and a bit of the free Badger Rust paint I got from the Spring contest...thinned out a couple fenders and the passenger side door to add some dents...
003%7E25.jpg

004%7E23.jpg

005%7E23.jpg

008%7E13.jpg

Growing up-- my dad had this bright blue VW Bug...I remember the interior being white or tan...going to try to recreate that all here...I know I have some pics from when I was a kid somewhere...but for now-- phase one of the hubcap weathering...
007%7E17.jpg

And finally-- the seats-- just glued a layer of foil over these holes I added, and I'll poke holes up from behind and add some stuffing and maybe a spring or two...
006%7E19.jpg

That's it so far...gotta find those pictures!!!

OK-- after some friendly advice-- here is where I stand-- have a darker rust coat on and clear coat....next will be hairspray and salt....then primer, then more hairspray and salt, and then top coat...I followed up the advice a bit and here is where we are at so far-- the clear coat is drying...
001%7E27.jpg

002%7E25.jpg

003%7E26.jpg

I know it hasn't cured yet-- but it is a little orange-peel-like right now, but I actually think this will tie in well with the beat up look I am going for...kind of like how a sunny summer can really beat on a paint job...

And work on the other parts continues...here are the seats after the foil was added, painted, poked, and in a few cases, sprung:
004%7E24.jpg

005%7E24.jpg

And the wheels...no where near done-- but I like the light rust...
006%7E20.jpg

Thanks James!!

After a base coat of rust-- I added some hairspray and salt...then primer...and here is where that led me--
001%7E28.jpg

002%7E26.jpg

003%7E27.jpg

And then after finding some pics of me as a wee lad-- I found an appropriate color-- this was the color of my dad's Bug when I was growing up...
008%7E15.jpg

009%7E10.jpg

010%7E9.jpg

011%7E10.jpg

And finally a shot of the loadout options...maybe I'll mount all three ;)
012%7E6.jpg

Back