• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Tamiya Tiger I of 502

That kitty cat looks like it can move into anything in it's way. Are you painting at your desk also?

Painting has begun. I tried something new here, I always like to push my boundaries, and primed with a 50/50 dilution of Mr. Surfacer 1200 with Tamiya lacquer thinner.

8-29-10b.jpg

I liked it and shall do this from now on!

Next I applied a coat of Tamiya XF-63, Dark Grey.

8-29-10.jpg

It will get one more coat of this before some hairspray and white wash.
(some may wonder why I am stuck in a winter rut, the Tasca Pz II, the Tamiya Bug, and now this, all I can say is its FUN!)

moon puppy wrote:
John, did this get the hairspray treatment? What did you use for mask?

It did, but just a light coat, as the pics of this baby show a pretty uniform coverage, with not a lot of wear. I am also portraying it in Feb of 43, so again, not a lot of wear.

Masking was done with tape, cut to shape, sorry didn't take any photos.

Some very careful removal of the white wash

I have been very slowly activating the hairspray, just a little bit of water at a time so as not to expose too much grey. I have also started to paint the OVM - no where near done, but i wanted to show the in progress. Hope you like it!

9-16-2010a.jpg

9-16-2010b.jpg

9-16-2010c.jpg

More weathering fun. Here is where I am now.

9-18-2010b.jpg

9-18-2010c.jpg

9-18-2010a.jpg

9-18-2010d.jpg

Here how I got here from the previous post.

First Step, multiple pin washes with all of Migs colors.
HowA.jpg

Then oil stains
HowC.jpg

Artist pencil (dark grey) to add some more wear
HowB.jpg

Almost Everything used in the weathering so far (the dark grey pencil is missing)
HowD.jpg

Streaks 3 stages:
HowE.jpg

HowF.jpg

HowG.jpg

Haven't seen this sort of scheme before...course being a plane guy I guess it might be easy for me to miss it-- but I sure an enjoying this John! Please sir- can I have some more?

Jeeves wrote:
Haven't seen this sort of scheme before...course being a plane guy I guess it might be easy for me to miss it-- but I sure an enjoying this John! Please sir- can I have some more?

Only 4 or 5 tanks of the 502 during the winter of 42-43 wore this style camo, so no surprise you haven't seen it before! Thanks and there will be more...

Back