• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Tamiya Tiger I of 502

lovely, lovely, lovely! 'nuff said!

OrsonWellesClap.gif

Mud, Snow and Ice

Thanks MP.

Next Installment - Mud splatter and frosted tail end. Anyone who has driven dirt roads in the winter will understand what I am trying to portray. When its warm enough for the surface to get wet, mud gets splattered all over the back end of the vehicle, when the sun gets lower in the sky, there is no more mud splatter, but snow and frost accumulate in the arse end very quickly, and it adheres like a thick, but even coating. I really had to think about how I was going to do this, not the splatter, that's easy, but a mess to clean up, it was the even frosty coating of snow over the splatter that was the hard part. I can tell you I had to break down the AB numerous times to clean out gunk before I discovered the most simple solution! So are we ready?

Mud splatter is easy, just mix some pigments, thinner and gloss and load up the AB. Turn the air pressure VERY low, and flick the trigger back. It will spit and splatter, now just aim and flick over and over again and you will get thick gobs of mud! the fun part is cleaning the AB - 20-30 minutes easily!
SplatterStuff.jpg

This is what it will look like:
SplatterFinal.jpg

Next you have to mask the mufflers, they are hot and the snow and ice will not accumulate on them.
MufflersMasked.jpg

Then spray at very low pressure, unthinned MIG Wet Effects, before it dries, evenly tap on acrylic polymer (This is the stuff they use in nail shops to make fake nails, I use it at work to make retainers). Repeat multiple times to build up the thickness.
FrostStuff.jpg

Here is a close up:
FrostFinal.jpg

Hope you like the effect!

Yet another reason to visit your Dentist....to hit them up for cool modeling materials.

John, have you ever tried building up something like flat clearcoat? I've never attempted it but I've seen what happens if you put too much flat clear coat over something and I always thought it would work for frost.

Thanks Guys.

MP I know of the effect you are talking about. It may work, but it may be too smooth, too flat in brilliance and lack that sparkle that snow and ice have. It is the built-up roughness with sparkle that I was shooting for.

This is great John. I have heard of using old toothbrushes to get that splatter effect you show (wonder where you could find those? ;)). I tried it once and ended up with more of it all over me than on the model...maybe I didn't have the mixture right. Your method certainly looks better-- but I hate cleaning my AB ;) I wonder if my wife's office would have some of that polymer to spare...I'll have to ask her :D

John!

Absolutely killer (y)

I love that camo scheme! The weathering is top drawer!

Keep on doin' what you're doin!

This is gonna be a sweet build and it's in 1/48th!

Bob

John, will the snow/ice get any coloring or will you keep it clean? reason I ask is when I've seen these "fenderburgs" they were generally very dirty looking because there will still be mud and even dust (I was in North Dakota, you could have mud and dust at the same time, weird place). I think a slight washing of what you got now would really make it pop out with depth, adding a bit more definition to the buildup.

example of what I"m talking about
DSC03250.JPG

hope I'm making sense but I don't think you want the snow too clean.

Thanks Bob, I shall not quit!

Thanks for the Photo, MP. Your car was traveling on a sanded road for sure! The kitty is going to be in an open field in deep snow, so no dirty snow. I am going to go back and add some to the Bug though!

Cheers!

got ya! After I posted this I started thinking about the sanding vers where the tiger and gone...good point.

This material you are using for the snow, is it something we can get over the counter without a visit to the dentist?

Back