• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 scale 110-foot Commercial Freezer Trawler

Thanks Men, for your kindnesses! I can't take credit for the tea bag Idea. That was ALL Master Iron Mike's skull-work!

h0ded7fe.JPG

The racing yacht & Ketch will have tea-bag sails in lieu of the cast-off resin sail pictured here.

h5751689.JPG

Sleep took me early last night. Conversely, I was awake at an early hour as well. Our laser printed was resurrected Easter morning (Named it Lazarus) so flag decal sheets will be printed on white decal paper. Add a flag, a capstan, anchor and a spotlight up forward and the Bitchin' Witch will be ready to display.

he19e392.JPG

he4236e8.JPG

"A painted Ship upon a painted Sea". The most complex vessel of the 1/700 Smugglers set I hope to release this May.

A Sea N' Sky website is in the works. Products from Eggknobs & Inksticks, TLAR Models, In Another World decals and Starfighter Decals will be featured. (Ebay is getting pricey and they are pissing me off!)

The day may come when I can go down to the Sea at will, looking for new TLAR ideas, with the shop humming and orders flooding in, but it IS NOT this day!

Remember, my Friends, YOU were all here in the infancy of my little model company!

I am grateful for your support and humbled by your adoration!

hadee440.JPG

Birthday present from Teresa. Imagine pre-soldered mainmast & trawl booms for Shrimp boats and freezer trawler.
Pipe/tube items get soldered. Flat details get photo-etched.

he4c5752.JPG

And the Hits just keep on COMIN'!
Lubrication for the Wheels of Creativity!

Brilliant scores! Happy Birthday indeed! I'll be looking forward to buying some of your kits with the pre-soldered masts and trawl booms since I have no way to do it myself.

h42e73ef.JPG

h8040816.JPG

After 2 hours of dinking with just one trawl boom, I have come to realize what foolishness making this for the for-sale kit truly is. :facepalm My solder joints look just like hammered dog-shit. :bang head :smack
The Hakko rig is amazing, I just don't possess the skill. :bang head
I give up. No realistic person would spent 4 hours making 1 mast & 1 Boom for a model that mostly doesn't sell.
I'm just about done fooling myself. Those who never try, never fail, right?

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? It looks like too much solder, are you using flux? I use .015 diameter solder and liquid flux, cut a very small piece of solder with your XActo, apply the flux with a brush and set the bit of solder on the joint with tweezers. The flux will hold the solder to the part. Apply your heat, the flux goes PFFFTH, solder melts, happy guy. Heat sinks are a must on multiple joints.

Keep on keepin on. :good:

Practice Practice Practice and more rum.

That would clean up easily. With your skills you could make a jig of that polywhteverstuff that's heat resistant.

:popcorn

As a highly skilled professional plumber, my solder expectations may have been unreasonable. :bat :bang head :bat
In addition, I am making less complex parts for the 1/700 Bitchin' Witch to take to market. Mast/boom for the 43' racing yacht and the little schooner too! :idonno
If sales don't improve this year, TLAR Models may be sold to an interested party.

Thank you, Modelers for your input & support since 2015! :notworthy

I think your solder joints in plumbing are a bit more forgiving than this little stuff. Hang in there. :zen

"Too much Solder"! :smack :facepalm Mike, you're a GENIUS! :salute :drinks
There is every possibility that is part of my problem! I did fix the broken wire on my digital thermometer for work.
This too, is a learning process. I'll get it!

Thanks Guys!

hffe4910.JPG

No indeed, Sherm. Elephants are savored one bite at a time. :burp

I tried to change my mind-set from all the soldering I've done in the past. THESE are NOT pipes!
Higher Hakko temp setting, less solder, heat, dab, STOP! Practice is beginning to pay off!

I appreciate your input. Thanks guys! :notworthy :salute

The masts & booms on the little Schooner are .0125 phosphor copper model train wire/rod. Pup's jig idea may become reality if I choose to make many more of these!

Back