• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Do we have a Trophy Case?

This past Saturday was the IPMS San Diego model contest. I took 10 models to enter. I figured I'd overwhelm these guys with quantity since my quality doesn't match up to most of the Masters who come here; so I threw a lot at the contest to see what would stick.

Something did stick....

This is my 1/72 scale T-90A tank entered in the Out of Box category. I took a Third Place in this category:

Third_Place_San_Diego_June_2016.jpg

That was quite a surprise to me since that was a hotly contested category. I am thrilled to have placed in this category.

Thanks all for looking in.

This month there was a brand new model contest done by Brookhurst Hobbies for the very first time. It was called Spruefest 2017 and was a resounding success. There were 408 models entered in the contest; almost twice what was expected. I brought 6 models; four of which were brand new. The other two were models I brought out of retirement to compete again: my Dora rail gun and my Saturn V.

At the end of the day, I managed to place Third in Real Space with my Saturn V rocket:

Spruefest_2017_Third_Place_Real_Space.jpg

That was expected as there were only three entries so I knew I was locked for a Third Place!

The unexpected award was a Third Place in the Armor OOB category that was awarded to my Dora Railgun:

Spruefest_2017_Third_Place_Armor_OOB.jpg

That was surprising considering all the magnificently masterful models entered in that category with Dora. Almost all of them were 1/35th scale too and yet I managed to place Third. Still blows my mind.

That was all. I had a blast at this new contest and it felt great to bring my Dora and Saturn out again to be displayed and seen.

I also managed to pick up some new models and supplies both purchased and from the raffle. I'll post them later when I get a full accounting done and pics taken.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks Dave! There's another new contest scheduled for June. These two might come back out for that one too. We'll see.

Thanks again for the compliment.

Still winning Mark ... Congrats still think Dora & Sat 5 should place higher ... good luck at next show ... Me I would have broken them from too much travel ... (y) :woohoo: (y)

Thanks Gerry! I appreciate the sentiment but I'm thrilled just to have gotten a Third. This contest had nationals-level competition; extremely stuff and difficult. To have gotten a Third from this contest with all those Masters competing is surely an incredible accomplishment. And yes, there were parts broken off during transit. I just listed that on the entry sheet and the judges are instructed to overlook it since it doesn't affect the rest of the build. I'll just have to fix everything later.

UAU congratulations!!! :notworthy :notworthy

Absolutely well deserved, specially since you have been dealing with a lot on the outside.

Proud to be your friend!

Cheers

Alex

Here are two of the awards I got from Spruefest 2020. They had split the 1/72 scale armor category into Wheeled and Tracked. I got these awards:

Third Place 1/72 scale Tracked:

2020_Spruefest_Third_Place_Tracked.jpg

Third place 1/72 scale Wheeled:

2020_Spruefest_Third_Place_Wheeled.jpg

This was a tremendous surprise given the quality of the models on the contest tables.

Thanks for looking in.

Back