• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The armor Updated May12, 2021.

Re: Logistics, The armor Update February 1st, 2011

Hi Bob,

is always a pleasure for me reading and watching your work.

I remember when I was a kid seeing your masterpieces and now that I actually know you, is a dream came true!

Thanks so much!

Giovanni

Giovanni, The first time I saw one of your posts, I knew you were great! I can only hope that seeing my work helped you in some small way. You are really good my friend and you haven't yet reached your potential!

Keep going Amico mio,

Bob

I am finally back at it. One more Sherman down, five more to go. This is the old VP conversion of the Tamiya M4A3 to a Jumbo, M4A3E2. This model was almost 30 years old and I decided to revamp it, detail it up to today's standards, and use it at the front of the Sherman column in the Logistics diorama.

I build in many sub components until painted, then assemble and weather. This one is ready for a base coat. This shot is of all the components and details including the 4 man crew and one of the tank riders. On all eight Shermans in the column, all will have tank riders and a four man crew, so there will be 64 figures in and on the tanks alone.

Jum01.jpg

Here is the hull. I have replaced several of the stamped wheels with open spoke and solid ones.

Jum02.jpg

The turret with new mount from Combat models, Eduard and Aber PE. I mostly raided my scrap box and my unused PE parts to detail this Jumbo. Also note the field modification mount for the .30 cal machine gun. This was a common practice in the 4th Armored Division in 1945. They repositioned the .50 cal towards the front and mounted a .30 cal directly on top of the gunners periscope. PE from Trakz and VP used for sights, periscope guards. O.D. plastic parts from Tamiya, Tasca and Italeri. I made the MG rack on the rear of the turret with spare parts and a scratch MG mount. I thought I would have a spare .50 cal. on this tank. The gunner will be loading .50 cal. belts into two ammo cases. When they began upgunning the old Jumbos from 75mm to 76mm main guns, they also traded out the mantlet MG from a .30 cal. to a .50 cal.

Jum03.jpg

Here is the Jumbo with as much equipment as I could place on it without gluing it down. I scratched two kinda complicated towing gudgeons, added a PE hull MG, PE light guards and tie downs on the rear hull. I used Stucco, an Italian putty product that I prefer to texture the turret and transmission cover as well as used it for mud on the lower hull.

Jum04.jpg

Jum05.jpg

Here are the crew members, I will actually cover them in depth in the fifth thread on this diorama, Logistics, the figures. Three are from Custom Dioramics and the fourth from Warriors. Various arms and heads were used to pose them. Custom Dio PE was used for straps, belts and eye glasses.

Jum06.jpg

Various equipment to be added after painting and weathering. Three MGs, two fifties, one will be mounted on the rear of the turret, and the main .50 on the turret mount. Both are Tamiya, upgraded with Eduard and Aber PE parts. A Combat Series .30 cal. cast brass, with an Aber pintle. Eduard prepainted ammo cases, and various Custom Dioramics bedrolls, kitbags and rucksacks.

Jum07.jpg

More equipment, Formations antennae, Eduard fenders, Elefant tow cable, Minimeca lenses and modified VP hatches with Trakz periscopes.

Jum08.jpg

The MG components.

Jum09.jpg

The crew shown in place with the tank rider at the rear.

Jum11.jpg

I really like using PE glasses. Before they were available, I used to make them out of microscopic wire and what a pain in the butt that was. I'll cover more of those in the figure thread.

Jum12.jpg

The final shot. I'll be giving this a base coat of O.D. and let it harden while I build the remaining 10 vehicles for the diorama including the K5E rail gun.

Jum13.jpg

More later!

Bob

What fun that would be, Raiding Dad's scrap box of PE.

Really like your style of building Bob. Looking forward to more!

Re: Logistics, The armor Update April 7th, 2011

Thanks son,

I have heard that all my life. I don't like to build the tank, detail and add all the equipment and then paint. I prefer to base coat, weather, then add all the detail, painted separately with varied shades of O.D., olive and khaki. I watch others do it the opposite way and I love the results. Guess you can't teach old dogs new tricks!

Most of my systems and techniques have come about because of the huge dioramas. If I didn't build assembly line, my great great grandkids would be finishing one of them in 2095!

I am really anxious to finish all the vehicles and get them base coated, then I can bring them off weathered and detailed at the rate of about 2-3 a week. That is the part I like!

Come visit, you can spend hours going through my parts and PE scrap boxes. I have a LOT!

BTW, have you ever wondered if there are some on this site that think I am your real Dad? Lots of new guys since that private joke got started!

You're right about the joke.

Mr Letterman made mention some time back that he and Susan didn't have any kids (this was before we knew knew about Big Sis Gail) and they didn't know what they were going to do with all the wonderful dioramas they had in the museum.

I quickly seized the moment and offered a solution to the problem. "I'm adoptable." And so it became that I am Bob Jr. Truth be know, amongst the staff anytime Dad is mentioned everyone knows who we're talking about.

Bob Letterman is Dad of Modeler's Alliance.

Great looking Jumbo Bob!!

(y)

an update - at last!

great work and i look forward to the remaining seven tanks, seeing them all in a row!

Junior, Laura, Terry and Chuck,

Thanks guys, starting a new three this week. All the same kit, so, Illl do 'em Henry Ford style. Back soon with more pics.

Thanks John S. and John B.

I've been completing my builds of softskins. I;ll be posting them today. I am base coating the rest of them and then I can focus on armor. I still have 5 more armor kits to build and basecoat! Then I'll open the new thread on figures. Hi Ho, Hi Ho.

Finally base coated the Jumbo. Here are two shots with base paint Olive Drab.

JumboPainted01.jpg

Jumbo_Painted02.jpg

That's 2 Shermans built and base coated. I have another almost built and 5 more to go.

Bob

Re: Logistics, The armor Update April 24th, 2011

Thank you son and James as well!

I'm not sure there is anybody that loves this hobby as I do!:idonno :idonno

Bob

Hahahahahahaha,

Laura, I'm baaaaaaaack! I have really been on a roll! Hope to continue it!

Thanks Sweetheart!

Bob

I have started on the next wreck in the big dio. It is a Panzer IV H, that will be totally wasted when I get it finished. As can be seen there will be a lot of aftermarket used. I find you need more aftermarket to build a wreck than an intact vehicle.

PZ-IV.jpg

I only have this, the M-16 halftrack and 5 more Shermans and the vehicles, softskins and armor will be complete. 47 in all, Whew!!!!:gogo :gogo :gogo :gogo

Bob

Piece of cake for a guy like you! This I wanna see!

Back