• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The armor Updated May12, 2021.

Re: Logistics, The armor Update June 14, 2011

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Fantastic detail and the mastery of the colors sets everything off! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

:ro: :ro:

BoB !! Great Job ! Looks Awesome !! I Really Dig th Mighty Mouse !! I'm lookin forward to seein th rest of th Battalion !!

:drinks

Hey Bob the 32 really looks great. I love the glasses on the guy. I guess now I have to add something cute like that to the DH9.

Really great work!!! (y)

B)

:ro: :ro:

BoB !! Great Job ! Looks Awesome !! I Really Dig th Mighty Mouse !! I'm lookin forward to seein th rest of th Battalion !!

:drinks

Hey Erik,

It's acceptable after such a long layoff. I hope to improve as i go along though!

Bob

Hey Bob the 32 really looks great. I love the glasses on the guy. I guess now I have to add something cute like that to the DH9.

Really great work!!! (y)

B)

Thanks Terry, the older I get the harder to do those tiny details. I just checked out your DH9, there's plenty of tiny detail there to equal everything out!

Bob

Re: Logistics, The armor Update June 6, 2011

Wow Bob!

AWESOME! You put my hand-painted Honeys to shame! Fabulous freehand work. I know how difficult that must've been and why you got inspired to put glasses on the co-driver who probably painted Mighty Mouse!

Regards,

From the right side. In the dio, this will be practically invisible to the viewer.

side~0.jpg

Bob

Well,I am glad you shared this picture with us,before it is in the diorama!!!
Great work,Bob! (y)

Greetings,ron.

Wow Bob!

AWESOME! You put my hand-painted Honeys to shame! Fabulous freehand work. I know how difficult that must've been and why you got inspired to put glasses on the co-driver who probably painted Mighty Mouse!

Regards,

Tell you what Saul,

He had perfect 20/20 until he finished the cartoon. Now he wears two coke bottle bottoms in order to see, Oh, maybe that's me! :D

Bob

Well,I am glad you shared this picture with us,before it is in the diorama!!!
Great work,Bob! (y)

Greetings,ron.

Thanks Ron, I got to cheat a little because of that. When the dio is altogether, it won't be seen. When you build them this big, every minute counts, so you get pretty good at thinking about things like that so you can cut corners! Not obvious, because there is always that guy who is curious and owns a dental mirror! :bang head :bang head

Bob

Now, here are some pics of the Jumbo after completed, with figures of the crew and tank riders. The crew have the insignia of the 4th armored division, while the riders are of the 79th Infantry Division.
I used this as a weathering sample in the "Weathering O.D. Tutorial".

Front-2.jpg

lftfrnt.jpg

lftfrnt01.jpg

lftrear.jpg

lftrear01.jpg

Lftside-1.jpg

[
rtfrnt.jpg

rear-2.jpg

rtrear.jpg

rtrear01.jpg

rtside-1.jpg

For effect, I set the Jumbo on the base it will eventually go. I cleared the color and added a sepia tone. This is how it would have looked in WW II photographs. I now have two of the Shermans finished, only 6 more to go.

WHT01.jpg

WHT02.jpg

WHT03.jpg

WHT04.jpg

wht05.jpg

Still have six more Shermans to build, but that is all that's left of the 49 vehicles for the diorama.

Bob

a masterpiece, a dio laden with masterpieces!

the whole dio will be a priceless masterpiece!

:popcorn

Re: Logistics, The armor Update March 9, 2012

Well, I've made some progress on the five Shermans left to fill out the column. As these will be the tanks under the command of Colonel Creighton Abrams, most had to be modified. In February of 1945, a directive was passed down to upgrade all the Shermans in the 4th armored division including the 37th Tank Battalion and Combat Command "B", with armor taken from the glacis plates and side hulls of destroyed Shermans and Panthers. A kit was devised and the maintenance crews began the job of up-armoring. First, the .50 cal. was moved to the rear of the loaders cupola, and a .30 machine gun was mounted on the commander's forward periscope cover. The .30 caliber that was mounted in the mantlet adjacent to the tank's main gun was replaced by a .50 ca. machine gun.

Then, armor plating taken from the destroyed tanks were made on a pattern to fit the full glacis plate and to extend further down over the transmission cover. Two rectangular slabs of armor with about an inch of spacing were added to both sides of the hull. Finally, a three piece armor addition was made to fit each side of the turret.

No doubt that Patton had something to do with this as he hated sandbag armor. General Bradley observed some of these up-armored tanks while on a visit to Patton's HQ and was so impressed, he began having some of the armored divisions in the north upgraded using a similar method.

Since the tutorial wrapped up, I have been able to complete three to the ready to base coat point. I have added not only the additional armor, but parts from the scrap box, lots of PE and the additional weapons ordered by the directive. Two Shermans on the diorama, an M4A3E2 Jumbo up-gunned to a 76mm, and an M32 B1 ARV were completely finished earlier. There will be a total of 7 Shermans in this column, so, now, I only have 2 more to build. I made a pattern for the additional armor and it is or will be added to the M4A3E8, the M4A3 76mm, and the M4A1 76mm Shermans. I had quite a job locating an M4A1 cast hull with the armor added, and managed to find one. The same pattern was used, they simply made extensions to accommodate the rounded hull. The other two are from the Dragon M4A3E8, Thunderbolt VII kit which has the armor included. I used one of those, slightly modified to make the sets out of white plastic for the remaining three.

Here is the first conversion, the M4A3 76mm.

Firstconversion-1.jpg

Then the second conversion, the M4A1 76mm.

secondconversion.jpg

And the third, the Thunderbolt VII.

ThunderboltVIIB.jpg

Finally, all three together.

AllThree.jpg

I have already started on the last two. Sometime next week, I'll get a base coat of olive drab on these three and let them harden for a few months.

It may not seem so, but I am making headway. There are only three more vehicles to build. Of course, one of them is a railway gun, but what the hell. 29 are finished and 14 are base coated and ready to weather and finish.

Bob

Back